i have to admit...

Hmmm. I think it really matters whether or not you are drawn into what happens next. What makes a person want to get to the next level, section, etc. Some older titles that I stilll play are System Shock 1 and 2 (get these for atmosphere), Clive Barkers Undying, and original Deus Ex. Dated graphics sure, but man I just wanted to know what is gonna happen next.

CB | Para said:
You want to know why? because this new generation of gamers started playing games with Farcry, their first console was probably a PS2 or an Xbox, their first pc was a Pentium 4. They didn't grow up playing the same games you and I did. At least that's my theory ;)

I still think it's about how much you spend on your hardware and how much more you expect (games that raise the bar graphically)
why cant we have our cake and eat it as well?
before my Godlike PCs graphics were not a big deal to me...
same thing with AA and AF, once you have played with em on full... you really whince seeing something without it.

I am 22, my first console was the Commodore 64 when I was 5 years old. (I still own my c64 as well as like 200 games for it)
I have had every console to date from c64-xbox, as well as many PCs.

Graphics are a natural progression, as with all things it is a point of competition.. if "john doe's super slash farting" is about as much fun as "Mr. Mince's robotron junkie wrestling" except Mr. Mince's game has better graphics, well thats a selling point.

I can understand how people feel about Hl2's graphics.. its not that impressive after playing D3, and FC.. (I really loathe the plastic/pollybump look personaly though)
and although we can only speculate on gameplay.. it can only get better than Doom3 right?..... right?

then again, playing through HL1 today, is boring (even with friends on coop... then again sven is bloated, but im not gonna start with that), so if HL1 came out today.. It would bore me (gameplay gets stale, take doom3 for example, what was fun back when doom1 came out, is not fun today)

just to re-iterate.. I dont think HL2 has bad graphics... could the graphics be better? always.. with any title... of course.
however as I said previously.. only thing that I see wrong with HL2 so far is some environments look barren/basic.
then again thats probably because of the lush landscape i have played in FC...... then again anything is better than Doom3's horrid "2 inch wide hallways with monsters spawning in behind you in little closets with just enough space for them"

ok let's get one thing straight:

We all know how good HL2's gameplay is going to be compared to all the other big games out there. But this is not the question. The question, or rather comment, is about graphics. Let's all admit it here, looking at HL2 screenshot doesnt WOW anyone anymore. This is what the topic starter wants to say. He is disapointed that the game is not as impressive graphically as it used to be last year. He didnt say that because the graphics were less impressive, the gameplay was going to suck. So when someone states his opinion on graphics, stop dishing out gamplay vs. graphics arguments, because it's so obvious that gameplay is more important that we don't need to defend it. Graphics are in a seperate category in gaming, don't pin them against gameplay or story. It's like comparing which is the more important between the brain and the heart.

sin55 what do you suggest we talk about then, how we all think it doesnt wow us?

that's his opinion... what if it DOES wow us?

personally, the real life gritty down to earth and very industrial feeling graphics, being pulled off to look so professional wows me more then doom iiis real looking plastic.

and the fact that you bring up bad gfx has everything to do with realizing the game isn't about graphics, but gameplay.

this thread is perfectly on topic, and if you were to say it isn't, then your ignorance shows.

gameplay is the primary counter part to a games graphics, it is OBVIOUSLY to be expected.

honestly... >_<;

Sin55 said quiet frankly, that instead of focusing on how the gameplay makes up for the graphics.. we should merely discuss on topic as to what we think of the graphics personaly.
and I agree... especially since we can only Speculate what kind of gameplay hl2 will have, opposed to how it actually does look (CS:Source, HL2 binks/movies/screenshots)

why do we need to flaunt the "well the gameplay will rock your socks off" card.. unless we do indeed think that the game has sub-par graphics.
the graphics should be able to stand out as a good feature, that is well done without having someone divert attention away towards another facet of the game (ie Gameplay)

having said that, the original topic starter freakaloin did indeed mention that even if HL2 had decent gameplay that it would bomb...

from what I have seen and played of HL2 (cs:s) there is no way in hell it is going to tank.. .no way... just I dont see it happening.
the game has great graphics, and awesome gameplay (Im sure.. if CS:S is anything to draw from... and no Im not a CS player in fact, I loathe CS.. thats why I was doubly impressed that I actually enjoyed it ).

half life 2 graphics couldn't be better.

it's not SUPPOSED to be shiney, it's graphics are as good as valve meant for them to be.

valve is a company that understand using nothing but photoshop filters is bad... if you get what i mean.

exoeight said:
sin55 what do you suggest we talk about then, how we all think it doesnt wow us?

that's his opinion... what if it DOES wow us?

personally, the real life gritty down to earth and very industrial feeling graphics, being pulled off to look so professional wows me more then doom iiis real looking plastic.

and the fact that you bring up bad gfx has everything to do with realizing the game isn't about graphics, but gameplay.

this thread is perfectly on topic, and if you were to say it isn't, then your ignorance shows.

gameplay is the primary counter part to a games graphics, it is OBVIOUSLY to be expected.

honestly... >_<;
thats exactly what im saying!! It IS obvious! So why even debate when we pretty much everyone agrees that gameplay is more important than GFX??!

I'm not saying this topic was a good idea to begin with. I'm just saying that not every opinion on graphics has to be countered by gameplay.

Sure the graphics look damn good for HL2, but my eyebrows don't go up when I see pictures.

Graphics in a game like EQ2 makes a big difference, because its all about making you feel like your in the game. HL doesnt have the best graphics but it makes you feel apart of the game in a different way, ie gordon never talks.

(but EQ2 looks like it would be more imersive, mainly because of the type of game that it is IMO...hl2 will be fun too.)

While I think the screenshots we've seen so far show us a game that looks great and CS:S has shown us that the performance of the engine is high, I think that if Valve releases this game mid-next year as I'm predicting, they may have somewhat outdated graphics on their hands.

mid-next year is a big no.

and it shouldn't matter, the game will be good new or old.
hl is old, i still play hl mods... so what?

Salmonax said:
While I think the screenshots we've seen so far show us a game that looks great and CS:S has shown us that the performance of the engine is high, I think that if Valve releases this game mid-next year as I'm predicting, they may have somewhat outdated graphics on their hands.

well yeah, mid-next year would be a pointless release, what with Unreal engine 3 technology on track and F.E.A.R. incoming... I dont see Hl2 standing a chance in that scenario... however Valve and VU hopefuly will release it soon.. as in this/next month... doubtful but I am hopeful.

Neutrino said:
No we don't. :O
okay, I agree.. we don't ALL know. But for everyone who has played Doom3 and Far Cry, and has seen the HL2 BINKS, it's easy to see that HL2 has pretty much the same gameplay as HL1, which was IMO the best FPS gameplay there was/is.

Freakaloin said:
do i have to accomplish something everytime i post on a msgboard? is there a test today?

ill dumb it down for you. no amount of people discussing gameplay/graphics is going to make hl2 look better to you. what? do you think someones going to say something eventually that will make you go.. hmm i guess you're right! i guess hl2 is going to be great! well?

The screenshots don't do HL2 justice, watch the binks before saying *OMFG HL2 GRAPHIX SUX0R5) to be honest, I think HL2 looks WAY better than DoomIII or FarCry.

Dsty2001 said:
The screenshots don't do HL2 justice, watch the binks before saying *OMFG HL2 GRAPHIX SUX0R5) to be honest, I think HL2 looks WAY better than DoomIII or FarCry.

well my brother, step brother and I said the same thing upon playing CS:S... CS:S has better graphics than Doom3.
(now me patting anything CS on the back is a big deal, since I hate cs)

I will state my opinion on the graphics:

They look damn nice, but the only thing I don't like (from what I have seen, mind you) is that they seem a little boxy and simplistic. That is my opinion. I hope that HL2 will prove me wrong though ;) Hopefully they didnt show all the most beautiful aspects of the game already.

The original Mario is still an all-time favourite. Same with Sonic. I'm actually working on a Sonic clone made with 8-bit graphics. Mario had it, so why can't Sonic?

OH YES IT WILL BOMB BECAUSE IT'S GRAPHICS DON'T ROCK MY WORLD LIKE A HURRICANE.

Let's just ignore the ****ing fact that the Unreal engine was a shitload more powerful than the HL engine was upon release. Guess which game hit the jackpot and still has the most thriving mod community ever?

Shut your face before I shove my foot in it, padre.

Oh gee, this kind of thread again? Well, I guess it's that time of the month again.

Freakaloin said:
when i look at screensshots of hl2 now...i am underwhelmed...this game better look at least as good as far cry or its gonna be a bomb in my book...even with good gameplay...think this game is right at its tech window of opportunity...
i love noob posts yaaawn

not so much noobish, but useless and trollish. theres really nothing good that can come from a thread like this and he knows it.

HL2 graphics looks much much much better than crappy farcry

Back