I haven't beaten HL

I got as far as the train tracks where you have to get off the train every so often and flip a switch or something.

I just got lazy.

I started playing it ... It was kinda cool ... Really freakin boring though ... but this thread has convinced me to pick it up again : D

You don't miss that much besides the ending... which is where I think HL2 starts with the G-man.... "Wake up Dr. Freeman, Wake up and smell the ashes" When HL2 is released that's what you will hear world wide!! Anyways the only other thing fun part about hl beside cheating at the begining and using the rocket launcher on the LONG train ride to your stop (they made that part way to long) is trying to find out what's with the man in the blue suit and the breif case all about?? It wounldn't matter if the graphics were upgraded in HL2 I would still enjoy it just for the story. If you don't want to beat the game at least watch the ending! Everytime I see it I want to know more! Like what the hell is going on WHO IS THE G-MAN!!! ayaya G for goverment man but that really doesn't say much. I want to know how he is tied into all of this... is he working for someone else.. and WHY!!! so many unanswered questions....

AMPED said:
You don't miss that much besides the ending... which is where I think HL2 starts with the G-man.... "Wake up Dr. Freeman, Wake up and smell the ashes" When HL2 is released that's what you will hear world wide!! Anyways the only other thing fun part about hl beside cheating at the begining and using the rocket launcher on the LONG train ride to your stop (they made that part way to long) is trying to find out what's with the man in the blue suit and the breif case all about?? It wounldn't matter if the graphics were upgraded in HL2 I would still enjoy it just for the story. If you don't want to beat the game at least watch the ending! Everytime I see it I want to know more! Like what the hell is going on WHO IS THE G-MAN!!! ayaya G for goverment man but that really doesn't say much. I want to know how he is tied into all of this... is he working for someone else.. and WHY!!! so many unanswered questions....

I'm pretty sure if you start on Hard that you skip the train ride and just start at the transistion that enters you into guard checkpoint at the desk.

...which makes me wonder if the G-man might have had something to do with the server crash - since the guy had messages for Gordon that got lost...

maybe one was like, "Gordon, I'm from the future, don't push the crystal into the reactor!" :p .

UltimaGecko said:
I'm pretty sure if you start on Hard that you skip the train ride and just start at the transistion that enters you into guard checkpoint at the desk.

...which makes me wonder if the G-man might have had something to do with the server crash - since the guy had messages for Gordon that got lost...

maybe one was like, "Gordon, I'm from the future, don't push the crystal into the reactor!" :p .

Even on hard you go through the train (I had to check it). :p

The train ride was really cool the first time through, but got old if you ever decided to play again. Maybe a tad too long, but still there was alot of cool stuff.

sup2069 said:
Have you seen the HL speed demos? One guy beat it in 45 minutes! Extreme bunnyhoping

I just watched that! its crazy. He does it all in 48 minutes without dying once. But he does use some sly tricks as glitches on the cliffs and jumping on tripmines to reach places earlier. But still the guys skill is amazing. He needs to do some for blueshift and opposing force!

it took me 4years to bet it, 1st i started play hl with out the cd **borrowd from a friend in middle school**,then got hooked on MP, then i only got so far because i did ihave the cd. then my pc !@#$%^ up had to format, so i started all over got 2 the same place and was stuck, hookd on MP again then ifound my friend from middle school in highschool borrowd his cd again.. bet it then burn acopy 4 my self :)

Just for everyone's information:
We've decided that all threads relating to Half-Life and its mods should be posted in the General Gaming forum for the time being.

Moved to General Gaming :)

desert eagle? in half-life? do you mean magnum? you somehow managed to complete the whole game with that one gun, how did you get enough ammo? and its not like you start the game with the magnum....can anyone else smell bullshit?

I did answer a question like this earlier, I completed HL through Opfor (Half life game opposing force weapons) but the only way to get enough ammo for the desert eagle was to cheat. (So i had the desert eagle from start to finish and when i ran out of ammo i used a cheat to get more). :thumbs:

I beat the game a LONG time ago... I should probably play it one more time before HL2 comes out just so I don't miss the little fun details that I know VALVe is going to put into the game.

Hmm... the G-man drives me crazy. In op force, he saves you, tries to kill you, then imprisons you. What the hell is up with him?

It seems like hes messing with the events, changing what is going to happen so things happen a current way. Is his suitcase a teleportation device!?...

I SO want to find out who the G-man is, and HL has SO Many little hints ALL over the place.

Oh, and HL is an awsome game.

Platinum said:
I started playing it ... It was kinda cool ... Really freakin boring though ... but this thread has convinced me to pick it up again : D
My guess would be that people who found HL boring will likely never appreciate it all that much, and might also find HL2 boring. The game is incredible for the atmosphere it creates, and the way even a cheezy storyline is presented in such a way that it becomes plausable and can be taken seriously. If Half-Life's atmosphere doesn't get you totally hooked, then it's probably just not your sort of game.

Kind of like 2001: A Space Odyssey... those who love it (myself included) think it's an absolute masterpiece, find it compelling right from word go, and can watch it over and over again. Those who dislike it tend to be asleep within the first ten minutes.

Personally I've played Half-Life through many, many times, though not once this year, I might have another run through it after the gold announcement. I'd have to say HL is my all time favorite game, with 'The Dig' by Lucasarts being a close second. That game also creates an amazing sense of atmosphere, and funny enough, is also a game more than a few people find boring. Unlike Half-Life, it's severely underrated, because most people judged it by what they expected from Lucasarts - another comedy, and what they got was a serious, contemplative sci-fi.

Edit: But yes, HL (and the expansions) should be required playing for anyone interested in HL2. It just won't be the same experience without knowing Gordon's past.

Back