I hope i dont....

Hudson

Reaction score
..screw this up badly. After months of saving, I finally have enough money for the precious, precious 9800 pro. I'm planning on going to best buy tomorrow to buy one. I'm not much of a hands on person. Ive never opened the case on my current computer (dell, flame all you want), although I did install my gefoce MX in my older computer. Basically, what are the chances of me messing up the installation? Oh, one more question, if my power supply isnt a high enough wattage to support the video card, what will happen? Will it damage the card?

Well, installing a video card is exrreamly simple, though you should proberly get the owner's manuel (if it's a prebuild) or the mobo manuel if it's homebuild. Jiust follow the directions they give you, and you'll be fine.

If your psu doesn't have anough juice, it *shouldn't* damage the card...

I'm mostly concerned about the whole power connecting part of it, with the cables and the PSU and the connecting and gloiven haven!!

and that *shouldn't* scares me a bit side :-(

This is all you need to remember.

Stick the mail end into the female end. If it seems a little tight, slowly wiggle the male end around until it can slide all the way in.

And yes, you perverts, i was talking about computer compnets.....

Why best buy?

Get it off newegg much cheaper.

The installation is extremely simple. www.guru3d.com dl detonator destroyer to get rid of nvidia drivers> take out old card> put in 9800 pro> drivers> done.

If the PSU wattage isnt enough youll notice BSODs, lock-ups, artifacts, and other instabilities. It most likely will not damage the card.

And yes, you perverts, i was talking about computer compnets.....

LOL!!!

hmmmm way easy dude. i have a shit dell also and installation was a snap. so far i dont have any problems with the psu. i have had it for about a month now. infact a month today haha. 9800 pro is a beautiful beautiful thing. enjoy that card. also forget best buy and buy it off a website or circuit city. CC has it for 350 i believe, which is where i bought it and some websites have it for even 300 OEM. i got the BBA version from CC. you shouldnt pay more than 350 american for it though.

im paying 350 american (around 520 canadian w/tax)

HUDSON DONT BUY YOUR CARD NOW. Wait untill the last possible moment to buy your card. Prices are continually falling and you might be able to get an XT class card by the time HL2 comes out. If not y'ull still have some extra dough in your pocket.

Originally posted by staddydaddy
HUDSON DONT BUY YOUR CARD NOW. Wait untill the last possible moment to buy your card. Prices are continually falling and you might be able to get an XT class card by the time HL2 comes out. If not y'ull still have some extra dough in your pocket.

The 9800XT is not going to drop down to $300 in the next few months

are you shitting me?! will it drop down to 300$?? Said by whom? your grandmother?

I said "The 9800XT is NOT going to drop down to $300 in the next few months"

not that it would.. lol, it'll take longer than a few months..

Sgt.Igneri answered this question for me once before, but im wondering if anyone else knows.

Is the XT series the last line of AGP cards to be produced?

lol, i was wondering why Fat_Bob asked if you were "shitting" him.. :)

Originally posted by Shuzer
The 9800XT is not going to drop down to $300 in the next few months

When did I say It's going to hit 300 USD in the next few months? Read what people post before you comment. "Prices are continually falling and you might be able to get an XT class card by the time HL2 comes out" I didn't say this christmas, I didn't say november 28th. I said when it comes out. Keyword might. Seems like you're eager to flame, so tone it down a bit.

Wow. I think you need to tone it down, a bit. I wasn't flaming. Just stating my opinion.
When you say this..

"Prices are continually falling and you might be able to get an XT class card by the time HL2 comes out"

and he's talking about a 9800 Pro, which is yes, $300, doesn't that mean you think it'll be down to the price of the current 9800 pros?

Unless you were talking about him accumilating more money by that time. In which case, a 9800XT isn't really worth it over a 9800 Pro anyhow, even if it does drop $100.

Think before you post. Like I said, I wasn't flaming. Surely, you have a reason to be upset about my post in the sense which you viewed it, however, I wasn't making a dig at you. No reason to freak out dude.

Back