I laugh at my stress test result

Nex321

Reaction score
Well...just did the damn test and what the heck do I get for result? Well I get only freaking 20 fps BS. Ran it at 1024x768 4 AA 4AF

I expected 40+ since this is my comp spec:

512 RAM
3.06 Ghz
9700 overclocked to PRO speed

Anyone with radeon 9700, what did you get?

I've gotten 29-31FPS average at 1024x768 6AA 16AF with my current setup.

3.0GHz P4
1GB PC3200 Corsair
ATI Radeon 9800 Non-Pro

A little more memory might also help you a bit, but I'm not sure.

it seems very sensitive to either AA or AF, not certain which. I got 20 FPS with my 9800 Pro when I used 1280x960 at 6X AA 16x AF...

and 64 with those off. :)

AMD 2100+ XP running slow at 1.7 gig
768mb RAM
Radeon 9700 pro

Getting 45-56 average ingame
Got 39 for the stress test

Gee, I wonder what's bogging your FPS down! :|
Try disabling so much AA. It's very performance shattering.

I have a 9700, OCed to Pro as well. Get 69 FPS with everything set to high (no AF or FSAA), didn't try FSAA and AF.

Athlon XP 2500+ OCed to 2.24GHz
1GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM

I need a laugh can I also laugh at your stress test? On a side note has anyone turned EVERYTHING off and dumbed down the settings just to see what happpens? Or can you?

I got 30-35 fps on average during the stress test.

I'm running 2.4 ghz
512mb RAM
Radeon 9700 Pro

I have all the settings set to high (except for shadows). I dont have AA on because it ruins your framerate and I keep it on AF 4x

Aknot said:
I need a laugh can I also laugh at your stress test? On a side note has anyone turned EVERYTHING off and dumbed down the settings just to see what happpens? Or can you?

I'll try that right now, just for you :)

Edit: lol, bahahha.. I just ran it with -dxlevel 6, and it borked the entire game.

I can't even fix it.. I make myself laff. But here, here are some screens from the VST :p
It was running extremely fast.. I just couldn't see the results :eek:

http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/test_hardware0001.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/test_hardware0002.jpg

I have everything set to high except AA and Reflections (its only set to Reflect World) because my graphics card has a serious heat issue, anything to high and i get corrupted textures and psychedlia everywhere.

Ok so I ran it with no AA and no AF and got suprisingly 76.5 fps. I can't belive that 4 AA and 4 AF ate 56.6 fps.... :eek:

1GB DDR Ram @ 333mhz
2500+ AMD Duron @ Oced 3200+ (using 1.725 voltage)
9700 Radeon @ Oced Core: 400, Mem: 320

Settings: High with 4x AA, 4x FSAA.
Result = 41.0 fps

BTW ^ the posts about AA and FSAA, what did you expect? Ofcourse they eat nearly half your framerate, they make it look 2x better imho.

AA and AF will completely ruin your FPS. The most you should run AA & AF on newer games is 2x. However, this will still hurt your performance.

i got 25 fps at 1280x1024 6x AA 16x AF

AMD 64 3400+
1gig RAM
9800xt

oddly tho i only get 32 fps with no AA and AF ... WTF?!?

AF absolutely kills performance. I can't even tell the difference with it turned on. Can't tell what the big deal about it is, I never have it on.

For the record, I get a solid 60 FPS in the VST at 1024x768 with detail on high, reflect world, and no AA/AF on my rig:

P4 3.0 GHz w/ HT
1G RAM
9600XT
Catalyst 4.8

With 4xAA on, the rate drops to 35.

I got 83fps @ 1280x1024 with everything on high (including AA and AF)

3200+
1gig PC3200
6800GT

Could someone with a GeForce 4 MX 440 post in their results? :)

ati radeon 9800 pro
1 gig ddr
2.66 ghz

1280x960
no aa, 16xaf
full details
42 fps or so

GorgeousOrifice said:
AF absolutely kills performance. I can't even tell the difference with it turned on. Can't tell what the big deal about it is, I never have it on.

For the record, I get a solid 60 FPS in the VST at 1024x768 with detail on high, reflect world, and no AA/AF on my rig:

P4 3.0 GHz w/ HT
1G RAM
9600XT
Catalyst 4.8

With 4xAA on, the rate drops to 35.

Set AF to 2, make a game - choose ct, look at path infront. ESC - change AF to 16, look at path. Then tell me it makes no diffrence.

yeah the midrange Nvidia cards actually do better than the midrange ATI cards with AA. Without AA, ATI wins. I might get a 6800 basic...

Edit: Ive never seen the point in AF. Doesnt it just make the textrues nicer or something? AA is what i notice most.

Well I set everything to full, and set it to reflect all.

I got an everage of 30-35 :O

I was surprised actually because I have a gig of ram, a radeon 9800 pro (With 256mb of ram, which I believe isn't all its cracked up to be, but meh..It was part of the deal I got ;)) and an AMD 3200+

Anyway, having said that 30 is perfectly fine for play. I just have to watch out for my computer overheating with this radeon, it tends to overheat easily.

I don't notice much of a difference in framerate with AF on. However when I turn on AA it ruins my framerate

I got an average of 20fps with AA and AF turned OFF!
My specs are:

P4 3.06 GHz
512 mb RAM
128mb Radeon 9700 pro.

I am seriously pissed off, as I got this PC last year especially for HL2. I ran Fraps as I thought there might be some mistake....but fraps confirms the result. Even setting things down to medium only increases it to 22fps average.....and gives everything a pink hue. I have no idea why i'm getting such poor performance......CS:S seems to run well though.

[sl@yer] said:
I got an average of 20fps with AA and AF turned OFF!
My specs are:

P4 3.06 GHz
512 mb RAM
128mb Radeon 9700 pro.

I am seriously pissed off, as I got this PC last year especially for HL2. I ran Fraps as I thought there might be some mistake....but fraps confirms the result. Even setting things down to medium only increases it to 22fps average.....and gives everything a pink hue. I have no idea why i'm getting such poor performance......CS:S seems to run well though.

formatting and defragmening might help :) also try 3dmark if you're not sure if your computer is ok..

Well apparently according to vrzone or something like that, the 4.9 betas increase the AA/AF performance a good bit. I suggest trying those.

It's just really weird. CS:S runs great....and the VST doesn't even seem jumpy....it's just the figure at the end that's annoying. Hopefully the final game will run better.

Edit: Tried installing 4.9 beta drivers a few days ago for Doom 3....but they didn't seem to work as i have an AIW card.

Recently defragged and performed disk clean up. I have closed pretty much all background programs to no effect.

[sl@yer] said:
It's just really weird. CS:S runs great....and the VST doesn't even seem jumpy....it's just the figure at the end that's annoying. Hopefully the final game will run better.

Edit: Tried installing 4.9 beta drivers a few days ago for Doom 3....but they didn't seem to work as i have an AIW card.

Recently defragged and performed disk clean up. I have closed pretty much all background programs to no effect.

CS:S doesnt fully use all functions of the (graphical) source technology. The VST does. All sweet eye candy features are in the stress test. That's why there's a difference betwee cs:s and the test.

un0x said:
CS:S doesnt fully use all functions of the (graphical) source technology. The VST does. All sweet eye candy features are in the stress test. That's why there's a difference betwee cs:s and the test.

Yeah I know that.....I just didn't think there would be that big a difference. Would upgrading my RAM to 1gb help matters....as I've been considering this for a while. I realise this mainly has an impact on load times etc.....but is it likely to affect frame rates? I just don't see what could be casuing such a low value. I really don't want to reformat....

I got 45 fps

Graphics Card: Radeon 9800 PRO 128 overclocked
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

I get really shit fps too on the VST. Maybe be my GPU drivers aren't up to date. My setup is below.

i have aa off and i got 40fps, running at 1024

1.6xp athlon
512ddr 3200
9600xt 256mb
30gig seagate 7200rpm

need and upgrade but was surprised at the results.

what do you want us to tell you? Take AA and AF off, run it at 800x600.

OK, moved to hardware.

on a side note, anyone with an nvidia card who thinks there doing really well with 6xaa on, you're not. it doesn't do 6xaa for you.

Wouldn't a real benchmark lower the FPS numbers that we are getting? I mean there are no bots, nobody shooting, no monsters all over etc. I'm no expert here, just wondering what we would get when playing the game and all hell is breaking loose?

i gt a GeForce 6800 Ultra and yeh it doesn;t do 6x AA. its does 8xS...wt ever tht is. my stress test results ain;t too bad i gt 97fps but at times it averages 68fps.

sHm0zY said:
whats with this aa af stuff why dose everyone want it.

AA = Anti-Aliasing

It smooths out jagged textures. Makes the game look nicer.

AF = Anisotropic Filtering

It increases detail in textures, thus, increasing a game's WOW factor.

Back