I need a way to use VTEX that actually works!

P

pmweb9873

Okay, I've read a tutorial on how to use VTEX that might work but I just don't feel like going through the CMD prompt every time I want to make a texture. I know you can use VTEX by dragging the TGA onto it and it compiles but I'm not sure about how to get my VMTs and VTXs to appear. A VTF is created though and I'm not sure what to do with that though.

Well, you could use a batch file. No need for cmd. Just a one line batch file is all it takes.

pmweb9873 said:
Okay, I've read a tutorial on how to use VTEX that might work but I just don't feel like going through the CMD prompt every time I want to make a texture. I know you can use VTEX by dragging the TGA onto it and it compiles but I'm not sure about how to get my VMTs and VTXs to appear. A VTF is created though and I'm not sure what to do with that though.

I agree, why should we have to script anything for our textures?
it wouldnt be too hard for them to have included presets in hammer that would compile our tga's into textures and have a simple dropdown box to select the shader type/s.

i hope someone in the community will make an app like that i just mentioned.... maybe a new version of wally!?

also to help you with yer prob see this post >>>

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49323

The vtex tools are from the stolen build. I think what your trying to do is illegil.

vtex is included with the SDK.

Sombody will write a frontend soonerorlater, just wait :)

Give me the VTEX tool and tell me what you want exactly for a front end (what it should look like, what it should do) and i'll make you one.

I'll write up everything it will need to be when I get home, I can't get to the hl2w0rld guide here.

Basically it would have some boxes to specifiy the files (the TGA and material files), and some tick boxes to specify the parameters. Then it would just copy them to the right folders and run VTEX with the apropriate params.

Good, how should we call that utility? :)
Don't forget to send me the VTEX tools.

Are you back home yet? I need to know exactly what you want so I can make this VTEXGUI :) I also need the VTEX program.

Its ready, add me to MSN for the stuff :)

sheardjr
:sniper:
at
:afro:
hotmail
:dork:
dot
:flame:
com

Awesome! Thanks man! When I get home I'll get on and see if I can get it from you! Thanks. I'll post a bit and show you all what my level is looking like as of now.

Paul

The program is 98% complete, however I need the vstdlib.dll file in order to make the vtex.exe works. Otherwise, I can't test the program.

Ok, I have finished the VGUI utility. However, I can't fully test it right now cuz I don't have the SDK yet. I'm posting it here so you can test it and tell me what is wrong and what I need to change. I'll add some functions later, you can also tell me what functions you want to be added.

Edit: Oh and you need the framework 1.1 in order to use VTEXGUI. I'll make a nice setup program when the program will be completed.

It seems to be working completly now, exept VTEX doesent like the way the -game param is being given to it.

I'll try to work out the proper way to do it :)

It never works; complains that it can't find -game.tga . If you'd distribute the source, I bet I could fix it quickly...

Paste the content of the status and i'll tell you what is wrong. It's working but you have to set the paths properly, something that I didn't explain. It's seems that you didn't specify a tga file... use the browse file (the ... button) to find the tga file you want to use as a texture.

It looks like Taz00 has allready made a VTEX and compile GUI, so I don't think theres any point continuing this program :(

I'll continu to improve it and if nobody wants to use it, I will :) Now that I have the SDK I can fully test it.

Back