i own vis. studio .net 2003 - will it help any?

Bigcheese

Reaction score
i have been modding for ut2003/4 for a long time, but i have noo clue how HL or HL2 works for coding. all i have heard is that you can use visual studio or somthing like that. well i bought it for other stuff i am working on.

so will it help to have it???

Yes, but I think Valve used VS6... VS 2003 will work just fine.

lol, ya i know how to use it.

then will the sdk still have stuff, or do you have to pay $1500 just to make stuff for HL2???

i thought valve used vs 2003 for hl2, but i could be wrong.

Bigcheese said:
lol, ya i know how to use it.

then will the sdk still have stuff, or do you have to pay $1500 just to make stuff for HL2???

No, the SDK is free. You'd have to pay upwards of 100K if you wanted to published a game based on the source engine, but for making a mod, yes, the sdk will have "stuff"

Considering that HL & HL2 will be modded in C++, VC6/VC.NET is almost necessary.

Modding the Unreal Engine is done using its own proprietary scripting language, but it isn't a too far away from C++. If you've used unrealscript you've already made yourself familiar with the concepts of programming anyway. All you really need to do is familiarize yourself with the syntax.

One thing of note: The actual engine was written using C++, but to mod it you must use UnrealScript. UScript is a proprietary language in that is can only be used by the unreal engine without actually chaging it.

i learnd c++ a long time ago way before i even knew ut200x exsysted, i have actualy done a bit of ut2004 native vehicle script, even tho i cant compile it.

so then here is my next question, where do you get the source code you use for moding?

you get the source code from the sdk, which i believe will be released after the game has come out. if you can't wait that long, some people recommend getting familiar with the HL1 sdk and coding with it so you know the process.

Back