i read that...

commando

Reaction score
i read on Pc gamer that

1) Fire will spread "NON SCRIPTED"

2) every building is destructable

now this was on pc gamer and they got it direct from valve! so WoW i cant believe it! i mean every building destructable!

fire that will spread non scripted! How the hell! man i so cant wait!

I can't see every building being destructable, because that would require a beefy rig to run, something which Valve has been instisting isn't necessary. I think if you made a map you COULD have every wall, ceiling, floor etc.. destructible but as far as I'm aware everything in SP won't do this.

If you want to destroy everything go and play Worms :D

no man that is what i read and that is what valve said to pc gamer.. why would they say that if it was a lie? i mean they know we will have the game eventually and we will find out the truth, so why would they say that ;).

PC Gamer say a lot of things tbh.

digsy said:
I can't see every building being destructable, because that would require a beefy rig to run, something which Valve has been instisting isn't necessary. I think if you made a map you COULD have every wall, ceiling, floor etc.. destructible but as far as I'm aware everything in SP won't do this.

If you want to destroy everything go and play Worms :D

We are not sure yet............but If you want to destroy everything go and play Worms ,,,,,,,NOW THAT IS 100% right :E :E

I think it comes down to the fact that source isn't designed to have everything fully destructible. If it was, then Valve has kept it pretty quiet. Seems like a feature they would have been trying to promote, and I don't think we've heard anything along those lines so far.

Plus, if the game is pretty close to completion, then 1 of the E3 videos would have shown something getting completely wrecked to show off the feature. Somethings are destructible such as in the Strider clip where the blue beam destroys the pillars on that building, but I haven't seen anything like craters being made. Guess only time will tell.

you can destroy alot of stuff. But to destroy concrete buildings you need a pretty hefty weapon to do that. but you are able to destroy wooden sheds by using either fire or a RPG or so. Remember hl2 is based on materials, so if something is made of wood it will react like wood and be able to be destoyed like wood.

but you cant just go from level to level by blasting trough houses. A level has entry and exit points and you can only switch from level to level trough those points.

Valve did not say it. PC Gamer said it. And PC Gamer is irresponsible. We had a conversation about this weeks ago. PC Gamer is staffed by dumb people who write inaccurate things. The writer was referring to the fact that, due to the materials system, buildings scar and show damage accurately. I.e. when you shoot at a concrete building cement crumbles off. Some buildings in particular may have destructible features (like the pillars in front of the town hall / bank / whatever in the E3 video) but I think it's safe to assume that, for common sense purposes alone, not all buildings will be 100% destructible.

EVIL said:
you can destroy alot of stuff. But to destroy concrete buildings you need a pretty hefty weapon to do that. but you are able to destroy wooden sheds by using either fire or a RPG or so. Remember hl2 is based on materials, so if something is made of wood it will react like wood and be able to be destoyed like wood.

Wood can also be destoyed by people smacking into it :D

We've seen "you-can-destroy-everything" game engine in a certain game that has word RED in it and it did not work as they hyped it. Yes, you were able to blow endless amounts of some mountain and make endless cave to somewhere it did not matter. The engine didn't do everything it was said to do. All lies.

I think there is a some kind of saying that you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Everything in the game can be made destructable, but since it will cause a big performance hit it is a design decision to not make everything destructable.

It'll probably be like red faction certain things are destructible but most of the buildings and objects that keep u down the right path can't be destroyed.

what about those ugly buildings in those ss that look like shoe boxes,will they be destructible...i dont think so.

Back