i think i f'ed my vid card

Illegal Amigo

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an MSI radeon 9800 pro, and I tried overclocking it just a little bit. I have sufficient cooling (fan pci card) and i didn't overclock it much, but in CS:S i get graphical glitches, where textures don't show right. I really hope I didn't mess up my card. Can anyone attest this as a problem with the beta, or is it my card?
Thanks.

PS If anyone knows how to take a cs:s screen shot, i can post one.

*sigh*

Never use a beta for testing an overclock. Use another game. I would recommend 3DMark 03, Far Cry, and Doom 3. Those will really stress your video card.

CS:S Beta will not. And it is a beta for crying out loud.

Taking your video card OC back down to stock levels.

It works fine in Far Cry and Doom3, it's just that CS:S freaks out. I haven't heard of anyone else having problems. Do you know how to post a screenshot? I can show you what I mean. I've reformatted, reinstalled, redownloaded, to no avail.

There is probably something wrong with CS:S beta then. Or your ATI drivers have an issue with CS:S beta.

Attach it. You must take the screenshot and open it in paint and save it as a jpg and attach it. The file size must be under a 100 kb.

blahblahblah said:
There is probably something wrong with CS:S beta then. Or your ATI drivers have an issue with CS:S beta.

Attach it. You must take the screenshot and open it in paint and save it as a jpg and attach it. The file size must be under a 100 kb.

Or you can post it on, say, imageshack

Yes CS:S is still a Beta ..how hot is your Card and case :afro:

It's running cool. My question is that I don't know how to take a screenshot. Is it just print screen?

Illegal Amigo said:
It's running cool. My question is that I don't know how to take a screenshot. Is it just print screen?

Why ask instead of try?

yA to take a screen shot u have too prees the button beside f12 its says ''prt scr'' and something then go to wordpad paste it and theres your screne shot happy shooting :)

It's called artifacts, and it's your card, it's either too warm or then it's getting too little voltage...

My 9600XT is usually 47-51 Celcius. Hmm had it for a week... That aint to hot right? Well my computers fine. I guess it is!

its definately running too hot, if thats when its idle, then definately

mine runs at 36 - 38 Celcius when its idle.

well its usually never goes above 51 while in any game.
And never below 47 anytime.
A 9600Xt has a clockspeed of 499 mhz right? On the overdrive thingy(its not on) it says 499mhz, and if i put overdrive on it goes up to 518mhz with no tempature increase.

Well my computer works fine, everything plays fine.... maybe i somehow have a good fan or something.. even though i doubt i have a decent fan.

MSI Mobo and Video Cards seem to suck at overclocking. I think you'll have to stay with the default clock speeds.

I OCed my MSI 9800 pro to 415/374 from 378/337 stock and it runs CSS fine. I only gain like 3 FPS by OCin though.

Just a question Illegal, you told us about the PCI fan for the card, but what cooling do you have on the card? Msi has a pretty nice cooler, but if it's stock cooling maybe you should consider getting this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-110&depa=0

Best cooler for your 9800 pro, and an awesome price. Also very quiet, almost silent. But first see if you get artifacts in non-beta games, like 3DMark03, Far Cry, and Doom 3. Those are the best to test it in.

Well, this is the thing. I'm not overclocked anymore -- I have this MSI card here -- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-127&depa=0 and this PCI fan card here -- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...65&CatId=804&SRCCODE=INKQUIGO&CMP=KNC-INKTOMI. Here's the screenshot. The thing that makes me suspect that it's not overclocking the video card is just how messed up the textures are. I've reformatted my computer, re-downloaded and uninstalled steam, deleted CS:S completely and redownloaded. I don't know what it is.

Looks like a problem with CS:S and the video card drivers. If it is not happening with other games, like Doom 3, Far Cry and 3D Mark 03, that is not your problem then. It doesn't look like any typical corruption caused by an overheating graphics card.

I want you to say this in your next post to end any confusion if you have tested your video card with other games. I repeat, CS:S is a beta. Test your video card out with other games.

Oh, I thought I said that. Maybe I didn't, but Far Cry, Doom 3, and Max Payne 2 run smooth as silk. I just haven't heard of anyone else having problems with the beta like I'm having.

Back