I think it's just about time....

Valve haven't been too quiet.

Gabe registered on the HL2fallout forums only a day ago to start posting. Erik Johnson registered on halfliferadio 2 days ago to start posting. Either they've started talking to us to try and quell the annoyance people felt at the rumoured Fall release date, or they really are finishing up work (or have finished) and now have time to start interacting with the community more.

Hi. The game's almost done -- we're still planning on finishing it up before the end of the summer. Can't say for sure if it'll be Sweden summer or your school's summer or good old U.S. of A. Summer.

Parasite said:
"Polishing" is a subjective term, but it certianly doesnt mean "adding entire scenes at the last minute". Ive never heard any developer or publisher use it the context you mention. In fact quite the opposite, it always means the game is done. "Polishing" means fixing misaligned textures, fixing it so Klieners hand doesnt clip through the table during his speech, or replacing any placeholder art that hadnt yet been replaced or otherwise smoothing out rough edges. Basically making sure the game looks as pretty as possible and plays as smooth as possible.

Like Ive said its subjective, but your definition is pretty presumtuous considering the term has been used a million times before and always meant something vastly different then what you suggest.

Wrong, there was an email to gabe (or someone) a while ago that said what they are "polishing" . there wasn't any details they just said they are "adding humor to the game".

what do you think is taking so long? polish? yeah they need to make things look beter and fix a few spots on maps but what if they want more scenes? like to add more to the game? thats polishing too.

all im saying is that "polishing" will take longer than most people here think, so dont get high hopes yet until we hear something about it

Greg Coomer said:
Hi. The game's almost done -- we're still planning on finishing it up before the end of the summer. Can't say for sure if it'll be Sweden summer or your school's summer or good old U.S. of A. Summer.

my my.. that is a very sketchy release date...

$20 says you dont make it! :devil:

EDIT: and hence the word "almost"

im "almost" done with highschool.. got a year left :D

i leave for a wedding..
today..
be back in a week..
if its not here when i get back
then..
someone do something crazy.
please.
for me.

Greg Coomer said:

Since VALVe guys take precious time to post at forums, they have to be almost done...

I don't want to hurry you guys at VALVe but...

...HURRY plz, after 3 years of Day of Defeat i need something new! :p

figge said:
after 3 years of Day of Defeat i need something new! :p

Something new ? :hmph:

NEW is just HALFLIFE2. (Single Player)
:|

iamaelephant said:
If HL2 is released after school goes back in you can bet your ass on a Christmas release. There is no benefit in Valve releasing the game between school holidays and Christmas, makes no sense.
Wrong. HL2 is too big for that sort of thing. I doubt it would matter AT ALL when & how they release this game. The sales won't drop. In 6 years from now, Valve won't have made more money if it were to be released tomorrow or at this X-mas. Maybe a little (dunno what Valve considers little) but I think it would be neglible (sp?).

The same goes for the MGS series, Doom 3, Halo 2 & practically you name it. The fans will buy it no matter when it comes out. The others don't deserve it :D

Greg Coomer said:

/runs back in cover shouting "Gabe sent a spy!".

J/K

Welcome Greg to the forums. :)

Urmmm, was that a hint....?

We'll see it by late September is my theory....if Mr. Coomer sees this I have a Uni to go to! Please don't screw my Fresher's week by releasing it around then otherwise i won't make any friends!

I get the impression the whole release schedule will be changed to screw me over now...or maybe not.

which uni you going rupert? I'm off to portsmouth

Greg Coomer said:

Hey Greg. Nice to have u here. Finally backup for the statement of HL2 coming very very soon.

...do we actually know that this IS Greg Coomer?

Yes it's the real one. Chris_D verified it.

So now we add Greg Coomer to the list of Valve employees getting in the thick of things....maybe babyheadcrabs delirious rantings were almost right....maybe.

Frank said:
...do we actually know that this IS Greg Coomer?

Gabe Newell has registered to hl2fallout.com and Erik Johnson to halfliferadio.com, so I think so, yes.

Joeyslucky22 said:
Wrong, there was an email to gabe (or someone) a while ago that said what they are "polishing" . there wasn't any details they just said they are "adding humor to the game".

what do you think is taking so long? polish? yeah they need to make things look beter and fix a few spots on maps but what if they want more scenes? like to add more to the game? thats polishing too.

all im saying is that "polishing" will take longer than most people here think, so dont get high hopes yet until we hear something about it

A link would be usefull, I mean ****, for how convinced you are of this you cant just go saying "I think maybe there was an email where someone might have said something similar to..." Besides, thats a rather large deduction to pull from that tiny bit of info you post there, especially to say "there wasnt any details".

Nevermind the fact you need to stop telling us "not to get our hopes up". WTF do you care if you are right and weve all set ourselves up for dissapointment? Im sure if it happens youll dance around shoving a bunch of "I told you so" rhetoric down our throats. But for now take your own advice and remain objective until we hear something. Telling everyone else not to make up thier minds, when yours is obviously made up is a tad hypocritical at best, dont ya think?

//edit:Your reply to Greg tells me your agenda is set, youve made up your mind based on pure conjecture, and so any input from you is hereby null. You obviously only want to argue a point you cant actually back up, so any further discourse with you would be entirely pointless.

urseus said:
If only there was a way they could release this pretty much finished game, then work on the tiny bugs that are causeing these month long delays. If only the game was somehow linked to some program, meaning we could be enjoying the game and making mods for it while they are polishing the tiny bugs.

If only there was....they could call it...smoke...or something.

Oh well...
Good one. :)

digsy said:
which uni you going rupert? I'm off to portsmouth

I'm hitting UCL to do some English Literature, i am actually quite bright despite the standard of my posting

Hey, wow, Greg Coomer's here. I wonder if the Valve dudes are divvying the fansites up for communications...

What does Mr Coomer do, anyway, if it's not impolite of me to ask?

[EDIT]: Oh, designer. That's my favourite job.

ABOUT GREG
"Prior to joining Valve, Greg helped Microsoft design various software products. Before that, he worked with Nintendo, started and ran a user interface design company, and spent several years as a freelance product designer. Greg helped to name the company "Valve", and then led the first game project that Valve ever cancelled. His secret dream is to create a game called ’Akzidenz-Grotesk’. You know, for kids."

I'm positive the game won't be out this summer. More like Fall or xmas holidays.

CrazyHarij said:
I'm positive the game won't be out this summer. More like Fall or xmas holidays.

True, but if valve unleashes a couple of screenies, some in-game movies and a tv commercial - expect people to wait by that time.

lans said:
True, but if valve unleashes a couple of screenies, some in-game movies and a tv commercial - expect people to wait by that time.

TV commercial? That would be cool. I haven't seen a lot of TV commercials for video games, exept for EA's sports games, and Max Payne. The Max Payne commercial was cooler than any of the movie trailers by that time. It was in the same category with the first Lord of the Rings film!

talking of Uni's, Portsmouth's my insurance option... just got to pass A levels, hmmm...!

I dont want HL2 to come out until after July... when ive got enough money for a top-range pc.. i dont want to play it on this 256 Ram, Gforce4 MX 440 piece of shit, HL2 would look pants on this pc... and i'd be playin a substandard version (graficaly) while gettin all the story-line info, which would spoil it when im on my leet machine eventually!
so Valve, bring out the came mid-august pls :D

on the commercial guys, i e-mailed doug lombardi and he said that there was no commercial in the works, i didn't post it on the info thread b/c i didn't think it was the best question to ask the guy and b/c he said no so you guys probably wouldn't have cared

All my hopes are for Half-Life 2 to be released before school starts (September 8th). That's all.

i think it'll be released before july ends!

Gorgon said:
Something new ? :hmph:

NEW is just HALFLIFE2. (Single Player)
:|

:eek:

Hl:source
Dod:source
hell im even so desperate i whould play CS:source :p

I'd hope for it to hit before I (hopefully) start Uni in September. I see September 30th as being the absolute latest -- I'd imagine Valve won't want to miss the same date twice in a row. :)

Cool! Well its seems as though one thing was right, Valve is switching into marketing mode apparently, with all the valve guys popping in to say hi. Thanks for taking the time Mr. Coomer. Heres to hoping you guys get it out the door soon, probably tired of hearing about it by now :)

marketing mode... maybe these guys have just finished everything they can do on Hl2 now and its just down to the other ppl, mappers or whatever to finish it off. doesnt mean its done just because they join the forums ?

Rupertvdb said:
I'm hitting UCL to do some English Literature, i am actually quite bright despite the standard of my posting
Dude that just made my day :) Sigged!

Greg Coomer said:
Can't say for sure if it'll be Sweden summer or your school's summer or good old U.S. of A. Summer[/url].
The big question here is: Can't or Won't? :p

poseyjmac said:
high-energy, fast-moving particles! :D

Actually, steam is just water in its excited state. The molecules of water are moving so fast that they're bouncing off each other at such violent speeds that basically breaks water up into its gaseous state.

Dammit BabyHeadCrab, before you started this post i was happy being pessimistic, grumpy and sour. But now you start this, and even Greg does a post here. Your damn optimistic attitude is damn contagious! :E

The release is not the final destination though, it's only the beginning of a journey.

Modmakers rejoice! :naughty: :naughty:

Back