I want to play HL2 without having to insert DVD... what are my options?

Ollibolli said:
Argh! I'm going crazy here... Just got my copy of the game today (live in Sweden, so it's on DVD, and I don't have a DVD-drive), managed to install it by sharing a friends DVD-drive over the network,

Ever thought about reading the game requirements before buying it?

Too many people pre-order/rush to buy it without actually reading the requirements!!

I did know the requirements, but thought that it would work just as well if I loaded from steam and put in my CD-key.

It's not the DVD-player requirement that is the problem, it's the fact that I have to insert that DVD to even begin to play...

I know it might be a bit optimistic to think you could play without a DVD-player, but it certainly isn't impossible... And even if I had a DVD-player, the "DVD has to be inserted" requirement would be really really annoying, and do nothing to help stop piracy. No-CD/DVD cracks are aviable, and have been since the day the game was released.

The CD-key activation through steam is a great idea, and has proven to be an incredibly good way to prevent piracy, I just don't see any advantages of forcing retail buyers to have the disc in their drive whenever they want to play/activate the game or whatever.

Are using NOCD patches illegal like can you get your steam account banned because of them?

westie said:
Are using NOCD patches illegal like can you get your steam account banned because of them?
all NOCD patches are useless and make your account hazardous.
from what i've heard (and i think it's true as it makes sense) you can delete ALL your .cgf and let steam redownload them. this way you SHOULD get the steam version. <= has anyone verified this ?
though it's true that many people didn't buy the steam release because they have a 56K

I got my game to work now, had to make an iso of the DVD... I'll get a DVD-burner this week anyway, they are so cheap right now it's silly.

I wouldn't use any No-CD/DVD patches at all, if your steam account gets banned you can say goodbye to your money and your game... And I'm pretty sure Valve (or at least Sierra/Vivendi) doesn't like you using them. I got it to work without using any third party programs, patches or exes, so I'm happy. :)

Finally time to try the game I've been waiting for so long... :)

Is turning it into an ISO and using Daemon tools a good thing to do then?

Just deleted the NOCD and changed my steam password just in case the NOCD was a Steam password thingy you get the idea.

Seems like I can't play after all... The copyright protection has compability issues with CD/DVD emulation software... :/

Seems like I'll have to wait a few more days until I get my DVD-burner before I can play.

my steam account is disabled now.. I just used this no dvd
I entered my own key and no other warez sh*t. That made me think I get banned cuz of this no-dvd

PS: Sry for my bad English ;)

_n3ro_ said:
my steam account is disabled now.. I just used this no dvd
I entered my own key and no other warez sh*t. That made me think I get banned cuz of this no-dvd

PS: Sry for my bad English ;)
and you still can post that smiley after what has happened to you ?
/nerves of steel

ah fezz, i just used Hijack HL2 do you think my steam account will be banned?

"
Originally Posted by jakenoble
Why is having a CD in a drive such a problem? Or DVD for that matter.

Isn't that what the drive is for, for using? Not to fill a bay and look "cool" in a Silver Tower of Hardware.

(Nothing against cool cases)"
Don't have kids either, do you?

Am I the only one who get banned because he used this no-dvd???

That's why it's a bad idea to use any software cracking tool as most of them disables the CD/DVD check AND steals your logon details

Just wait for the official release of no cd/dvd check from Valve.

k... I don't see whats so hard about BUYING HL2 OFF OF STEAM, NOT FOR FREE, FOR MONEY.

nagual678 said:
all NOCD patches are useless and make your account hazardous.
from what i've heard (and i think it's true as it makes sense) you can delete ALL your .cgf and let steam redownload them. this way you SHOULD get the steam version. <= has anyone verified this ?
though it's true that many people didn't buy the steam release because they have a 56K

doesn't work
i bought sliver
loged into steam with a frends account who has the box version.
steam stated updating and aquired the srom.gcf think wouldn't start with out it.
loged back into mine no check

Replacing any of the files with cracks and hacks while logged into Steam is a bad idea. Valve is looking over your shoulder. There may some things they can't see, but I'd hate to assume anything. It's likely they can't tell the difference remotely between a real CD drive and a virtual one, but I'd be afraid to assume even that. Valve has worked very hard at giving themselves complete info and control over HL2 on your computer. I would not underestimate them.

Back