I wonder...

Mister_Pie

Reaction score
I wonder how many of the things people are noticing were intentionally done by Valve and how many were just plotholes they forgot about.

Early game spoilers lie ahead:

Examples:
1) Barney giving you your crowbar when G-man clearly took it in the first game.

2) Kleiner having your HEV suit when G-man says you earned it in the first game.

Were these things intetionally put in by Valve to hint to some kind of deal struck between the resistance and G-man? Or are these just plot holes that Valve forgot about (it HAS been a while since the first game came out)?

The crowbar doesn't nessecarily have to be the one from Black Mesa.... I mean, it is a generic crowbar that scares headcrabs....

However Barney does say something along the lines of "..you dropped this at Black Mesa". Of course he could just be referring to crowbars in general.

The suit is a Mk. 5. It could very well have been a new model. At least, it's not like Black Mesa had a shortage of Mk. 4's that Kliener could have modified.

Two things.

No. 1, Mechagodzilla is one of the coolest movie appearances ever. Period.

No. 2, The Mk. V could be a modified Mk. IV. Maybe the G-Man gave the Mk. IV to Kleiner?

when he was taken by the G-Man, maybe all his stuff just dropped, and they found his gear on the floor. And If u think about it, its not like you cud select the crowbar at the end of HL1, maybe you did drop it or something...just wish there were aliens and stuff in HL2, the Masterful set pieces between the millitary and xen aliens in HL1 were just amazing, only thing that disappointed me...anyway, off topic there, soz, but tbh, im not too bothered bout the way valve give u ur gear back sorta thing, no big deal, doubt theres anything behind it

I just remembered this, but Gordon did drop his first crowbar in HL1. Then he picked up a new one in the trash compactor.

Well. He couldn't really show up on the trainstation in the HEV suit.
My guess is that the G-man realized that, and made sure that he would get it later.

crowbars aren't exactly in short supply
for instance: Barney himself had one at black mesa

edit: hey I just noticed your F#A#(infinity) lyrics, MG
awesome album (I said 'kiss me, you're beautiful, these are truly the last days'... then we fell into it, like a daydream, or a fever)

I personally doubt that these are plot holes, with all the care that Laidlaw put into the story. I bet that if there are any real plot holes, we won't be able to see them until we get more of the story. I could be wrong, of course.

I think the crowbar is like a mystical staff or sword similar but not entirely like that of Excalibur in the King Arthur legend. Think about it. With crowbar you're a one man army, without it your a wimpy introverted unemployed scientist.

I think the G-Man, Kleiner, the Vances, and Barney are all in it together. Thats probably why Kleiner has the "modified Mk. 4" with him. The G-Man took of his HEV, gave it to Kleiner, Kleiner modded it, and G-Man told him to keep it, so that Gordon wouldn't look strange and could go covert in City 17 at the trainstation.

HadouKen24 said:
I personally doubt that these are plot holes, with all the care that Laidlaw put into the story. I bet that if there are any real plot holes, we won't be able to see them until we get more of the story. I could be wrong, of course.

I hope you are right! It will be sorta disappointing if it turns out that the designers simply forgot small parts of the original when designing the sequel.

I mean, I can easily see in a meeting someone saying "You know what would be cool? If Barney gives you the crowbar you used in the first game" and everyone else agreeing without thinking about what transpired at the end of the game.

But like you said, I guess it's probably too early to tell.

Mister_Pie said:

You had two in the first game, the first of which you dropped when the soldiers knocked you out.

I'm going out on a limb here. but maybe barney is being sarcastic. He is well known for that. I'm sure some people here think he's really praising gordon's MIT education for traing him to throw a switch...

Hey man, those switches can be hard to move. They might have static electricity zappies. Or be sticky. Do you throw switches? Huh? HUH? I thought not.

plus, kleiner is a physicist, the MOST absentminded class of people ever to grace the face of the earth. He says it's your HEV suit...he probably wouldn't know gordons suit from his own, assuming HEVs aren't one size fits all.

Regarding switches, i'm a physics grad student but my work is in theoretical physics so switch throwing is out of the question. Gordon's PhD is in theory too, so he probably isn't even qualified to throw switches

the crowbar from HL2 has spec so therefor they are two different crowbars.

Mister_Pie said:
I wonder how many of the things people are noticing were intentionally done by Valve and how many were just plotholes they forgot about.

Early game spoilers lie ahead:

Examples:

2) Kleiner having your HEV suit when G-man says you earned it in the first game.

Were these things intetionally put in by Valve to hint to some kind of deal struck between the resistance and G-man? Or are these just plot holes that Valve forgot about (it HAS been a while since the first game came out)?

Maybe the G-man dropped Freeman off at the exit to black mesa where Barney got out

there was a portal there anyway

If he didn't want to tell about the G-man he could have just said that a portal took him there

Regarding switches, i'm a physics grad student but my work is in theoretical physics so switch throwing is out of the question. Gordon's PhD is in theory too, so he probably isn't even qualified to throw switches

Yes, but remember his job in Half-Life 1?

He's had plenty of on-the-job training in switch-throwing.

Er, G-Man dropped Gordon off on the train.
hence "Hey, I didn't see you get on the train" o_O

Flib>Noone said:
Er, G-Man dropped Gordon off on the train.
hence "Hey, I didn't see you get on the train" o_O
Maybe the guy fell asleep at the station Gordon got on at :)

mama said
before I'm grown
I'll find somebody I can call my own
so when the stars are shining bright
I dream about the boy who's gonna hold me tight
now
I wonder, wonder who he'll be
ohhh I wonder
will he be good to me?
I wonder if he'll love me
forever, and ever
every night, I close my eyes
and there is something that I visualize
I hear a voice say "I love you"
I picture all the things that we're going to do
now
ohhh I wonder
will he be good to me?
forever, and ever
I hope we'll never make each other cry
I pray we'll never ever say goodbye
Whoa-oh!
Yes and
ohhh I wonder
will he be good to me?
forever, and ever
Wonder, wonder who he'll be
yea yea yea
ohhh
yea yea
oh

gman took gordons crowbar and suit, gave it to kliener, with instructions to get it ready for gordon, the gman could be anyone, He could by barney.

you have to also remember that events transpired inbetween hl1 and 2

Mechagodzilla said:
The suit is a Mk. 5. It could very well have been a new model. At least, it's not like Black Mesa had a shortage of Mk. 4's that Kliener could have modified.
Yeah but if you're trying to escape from BMRF, I reckon the last thing you'd think would be
"I know, I'll take an HEV suit out of this dangerous place for no particularly good reason, modify it later and then not give it to anyone for years and years. Oh look, a friendly soldier - well thank goodness for that!"

I have a sneaking suspicion that Breen's mentioning of your "services" being open to the "highest bidder" may have something to do with some things...

Back