If I were ATI I would be seriously pissed at Valve

D

Daklit

Gabe just admitted that they knew by midsummer last year that the game wouldn't be anywhere near complete by the promised date - yet they accepted the $8 million bid from ATI anyway. I always though Valve was a little greedy - what with cheap packaging, cutting back on game content (e.g. no multiplayer), charging extra for half assed ports of old games, etc... - this just confirms it. Shame on you and your business practices Valve. Way to lose fans!

Their charging for the ports because you are, in addition, buy Valve's source engine. I see their justification

and yes if i were Ati i'd be pissed too... but in the long run they'll get their investment back with lots of people buying ati to play the game.

I'm sure as far as Ati is concerned, 8 million is probably pocket change and written off as part of the "marketing budget"

aeroripper said:
Their charging for the ports because you are, in addition, buy Valve's source engine. I see their justification

What?

Your just buying the game, not the engine.

Are you sure you read the whole Final Hours by Gamestop? It's a great article, read it more carefully, and you'll seriously understand and cut VALVe a bit more slack...

Yeah I'd be pissed too, but signing onto a game that has the potential to be revolutionary, is a risk ATI took. Put yourself in Gabe's shoes. What would YOU have done?

Gabe just admitted that they knew by midsummer last year that the game wouldn't be anywhere near complete by the promised date - yet they accepted the $8 million bid from ATI anyway. I always though Valve was a little greedy - what with cheap packaging, cutting back on game content (e.g. no multiplayer), charging extra for half assed ports of old games, etc... - this just confirms it. Shame on you and your business practices Valve. Way to lose fans!

What?

Your just buying the game, not the engine.

I see. If you've already buying HL2 then their charging you MORE to buy the ports of HL:S and stuff. I really don't think it was a bad deal because the silver package gives you all their games for only $10 more you would normally pay just getting the normal package.

No multiplayer is a bummer (well CS:S, but i mean real multiplayer ;-P)
but the mod community is gonna come up with something way better than valve could have whipped up.

Or maybe their saving it all for Team Fortress 2

aeroripper said:
I see. If you've already buying HL2 then their charging you MORE to buy the ports of HL:S and stuff. I really don't think it was a bad deal because the silver package gives you all their games for only $10 more you would normally pay just getting the normal package.

I didn't mean it was a bad deal. Just that to buy the engine would cost you a few hundred thousand dollars.

Daklit said:

In regards to their "greediness", this is how I see it:

Cheap packaging probably can be more attributed to vivendi sinse they're the distributor.

Charging extra for ports? You mean the silver package that literally includes every game they've ever made?

No multiplayer? Sure there's no hl2 deathmatch or whatever (was hl1 deathmatch really that worth it?), but CS:S seems pretty good. Granted it's pretty stripped down right now, but you know valve's going to release tons of maps and content for it as time goes on.

I didn't mean it was a bad deal. Just that to buy the engine would cost you a few hundred thousand dollars.

That isn't what i was implying. I should have said "buying a liscense to use the engine" not to develop your own product with the source code etc. like you would get from buying the rights to it for a couple 100,000 dollars.

hey it worked for me, got a whole bunch of games for $10.00

Daklit said:
I always though Valve was a little greedy - what with cheap packaging, cutting back on game content (e.g. no multiplayer), charging extra for half assed ports of old games, etc... - this just confirms it. Shame on you and your business practices Valve. Way to lose fans!

SUCK **** ha ha there isn't any multiplayer, nah nah na nah nah you are disappointed and i'm not cos i only want single player.

ATi should be happy with Valve,
Many people bought their cards last year (around sept. 30th), and most will buy an x800 class card this year.

f|uke said:
Two words:
ATi Levels
Exactly. This means that even more people will buy ATI cards.

ATI is fine with Valve. Valve helped them alot.

Gabe just admitted that they knew by midsummer last year that the game wouldn't be anywhere near complete by the promised date - yet they accepted the $8 million bid from ATI anyway. I always though Valve was a little greedy - what with cheap packaging, cutting back on game content (e.g. no multiplayer), charging extra for half assed ports of old games, etc... - this just confirms it. Shame on you and your business practices Valve. Way to lose fans
Gabe didn't want to dissapoint anyone and kept it a secret, it is hard to say that, this game is delayed, if it may be the most anticipated(I know, sp)
FPS Computer games in the world, it takes alot of guts to say that it is delayed, like said before ATI still got money from Valve since everyone started buying the cards, and i also think that the delay is good, the game sounded horrible with the borealis opening.

I think that ATI made gabe go on Alcatraz...because he would be hammered by reporters.
I think ATI used that as some punishment for Gabe.

Because if i remember correctly it was ATI who bought out the trip and everything and gabe wanted it cancled.

ATI still got good sales on the 9800 pro a year ago
and now they get good sale on x800 so i think they came out of it pretty well considering waht could have gone bad

ATI made a killing on their HL2 bundles, they have no reason to be pissed. Their part of the deal did its job just fine.

Tropico said:
ATI still got good sales on the 9800 pro a year ago
and now they get good sale on x800 so i think they came out of it pretty well considering waht could have gone bad

Yeah, I bought my 9800 Pro a year ago.

Back