*If* It is delayed, we know why..

ATi rule the roost currently they have better support curently and their cards have a better prospect of dealing with future graphic developments ie Direct x 9.0 features. nVidia screwed th epooch on this one, but they still bang away telling everyone how they are being mistreated even though they puposely delay patches for products that aren't even there own simply because it makes thier hardware look crap.
I currently own a Radeon 9700 Pro and i've never been happier with a card, well maybe my 2 voodoo 2's in SLi mode ;) . Valves support for the "real" game market ie those who still run geforce 2/4 mx's ensure that the game is purchased. I applaud their decision to provide the game for all those around (who can afford it).

The nVidia 5900 Ultra is a flop in my opinon though, particularly now that we see how nVidia have elected to deal with the Dx 9.0 api.

This all of course is my opinion and isn't meant to be disrespectful to others opinions. :)

Originally posted by Templar Wizard
only because it is you who asked me Spit,
anyone else and i would have told them to phukk themselves:

also, i had to save it as a .gif. the jpeg was slightly too big (the forum would not let upload)
if there is a way of lowering the quality somehow to make the file smaller tell me. the quality is so that you can still read it.

Thanks for the validation. So it would seem that Vivendi is calling the shots for retail distribution. I find this odd, because I've read multiple times on these boards about how the contract Valve has negotiated with Vivendi states that one version will not be released without the other (Steam download vs Half-Life 2 retail). So could Valve really decide to release the Steam version before the retail one? I hope this isn't the case. I reserved my copy in full at my local EB.

Thanks for the validation. So it would seem that Vivendi is calling the shots for retail distribution. I find this odd, because I've read multiple times on these boards about how the contract Valve has negotiated with Vivendi states that one version will not be released without the other (Steam download vs Half-Life 2 retail). So could Valve really decide to release the Steam version before the retail one? I hope this isn't the case. I reserved my copy in full at my local EB.

this is where i feel the bottleneck is:

valve release on Steam.
vivendi release retail.

both, of course, want to release at the same time. vivendi have their reasons to release on a certain, which may be at odds with Valve's Steam plans.

ERGO:

confusion. both sides sending out conflicting information.

this isnt your normal game launch, where a gold goes to the publisher, and copies are in store sometime after.
somehow valve have decided that complexity is the best course for HL2's launch. yes, it gives a lot of choice to the consumer, but it also means that much more can go wrong.
not only that, but another party is involved as well, and they have their own priorities.

Another point:
heres a plan, lets see if we can get any information from ATi about their Alcatraz and Munich launch.
there is some HL2 involvement...

Originally posted by tHEmaCHInE
ATI owns !

get a 9800 pro and you will see what I mean

hmm well i will take your word on that, because i have the GEFORCE 4 TI 4600 ultra....and i am going to buy the Radeun 9800XT when it ships with HL2.

good idea?

so here we are

where the retail product will be available either simultaneously or close to the US release (we don't control those dates, only the Steam dates)

Steam release date is totally controlled by valve, and i'm not really sure valve want steam version to be released at the same time as the boxes versions.
So we really can expect the steam version on 30th :cheese: and boxes on later november ;(

Originally posted by SilentKilla
lol, what a laugh is, is i have a 9800 pro, but ill assure you it wont be going in the slot where my ti 4600 is, because it has never given me any trouble. I have a 9800 pro in my computer next to this one, and it doesnt get used.

I think you just started a new trend in gaming. Buying the best and fastest hardware out there, installing it in a computer you don't use, then letting it sit while you use outdated and slower hardware. Cheers mate, let's see if it catches on!

Originally posted by BlumenKohl
Nvidia Controls the standalone GPU market with 50-55%
ATI tags along at 35-40% :p

Wait untill about a month after HL2's release and calculate those percentages again...

I don't care really, the more even the better, the more competition, the more benefits for me.

Personally, I don't want ATI completely owning nVidia, just getting up to something near 50-50...that'll be good.

Now if Intel starts making high-end graphics cards...:cheese:

they're making optimizations for FUTURE graphics cards, too, and current ones as well. The Geforce 2 is a perfectly acceptable card, and was an excellent one at the time of its release. Consider that Valve is trying to make their engine extremely scalable... And remember, we here on this message board are just the hardcore Half-Life fans. The people who will be buying the game are the ones who're going to be using Geforce 2's and 3's, and not the newest hardware. These are the people Valve want to support by making sure the graphics cards work well with the game.

As far as the Geforce 2 goes, tt's not really an Nvidia issue, it's a Valve issue.

Originally posted by ripkord
dougy buy it on the interweb, tis only 250 - 300

never EVER buy gfx hardware in high street stores in the UK.

i dont im a computer engineer and get my stuff at Trade prices.

minus vat and discounts if buying in bulk.

plus one time i ordered two CPU fans for £12 and got a 2.4ghz athlon instead for the price of the two heatsinks :cheers:

Now if Intel starts making high-end graphics cards...:cheese: [/B]

hmmmm athlons new 64mg chips are coming out witch are its answer to Intels hyperthreading.

should prove very interesting for control of the christmass rush to upgrade CPU's

Back