If valve f's up.....

terrorist420

Reaction score
if valve fudges the expansion like doom3 f'd theirs, ima write em buggers a letter, or something, yah, rar damn buggers :bounce: \

:cheers: Adrian Fo Life :cheers:

well, doom 3 wasn't good anyway, so we don't have to worry.

I share your concern. I lent HL2 to a friend and he completed it the other day, all wrapped up in GMan-awe and Freeman-enthusiasm and whatnot. He had no clue that there was an expansion in the works, and when I told him there was, and more importantly where and when it would be set, he went cross-eyed.

I hope Valve can make it work. I have little doubt that it will play well, but if they fudge the plot with lame links and excuses, then I think I probably will drop Valve/Laidlaw a line to express my disappointment. That's not a bad idea.

The Doom 3 exp was good. It had everything Doom 3 had and added a crap load of cool fx and guns/powers.

I still maintain that Valve should have done a different perspective expansion first. Alyx would've been perfect because some people don't like her, and a quality expansion starring her might endear people to her. Thus, when Aftermath came along, Alyx-heavy as it will be, people will like her more.
Plus, I was looking forward to a prequel of sorts (the only real sensible way it could've been done).
<Sighs> More people should listen to me.

I don't think this is an expansion though, just an episode expanding the story a little bit. I'd expect the expansions to take place before hl2, being a more seperate story than starting off exactly when hl2 stopped.

HAHA After a month ban. THIS is the thread you make? Welcome back anyhow. Yeh, I hope the expansion is worth the wait and money. But IMO d3 exp was good.

terrorist420 said:
if valve fudges the expansion like doom3 f'd theirs, ima write em buggers a letter, or something, yah, rar damn buggers :bounce: \

I didn't understand any of that....

Something about Valve ****ing up Aftermath? and Doom 3?

Whoever bothered to buy the doom 3 expansion deserves to get dissapointed.

Just relax and sit back. The expansion will be great :)

Just saying doom 3 is a flop all together, after it being hyped to death and the game pretty much a 99.9% let down... who in their right mind would buy the ex pack. Yeah it has its fans, the poeple that don't belive in night vision goggles :p

el Chi said:
I still maintain that Valve should have done a different perspective expansion first. Alyx would've been perfect because some people don't like her, and a quality expansion starring her might endear people to her. Thus, when Aftermath came along, Alyx-heavy as it will be, people will like her more.
Plus, I was looking forward to a prequel of sorts (the only real sensible way it could've been done).
<Sighs> More people should listen to me.

i don't know why but im reminded of that chickie poo from halo, (the construct?) with an alyx heavy game, sigh........... valve has got me so worried about the future of half-life.. ;(

:cheers: Viva Shephard! :cheers:

spoilers!! be aware! :p

I must agree on the fact that doom 3 was a disapoitment, maybe not so much the game but the expansionpack was crap! I played about half of it and then jumped directly to hell, wich looked pretty much the same as the game itself, and Lucifer was way to easy to defeat. Nah, I'm really disapointed of the whole doom 3 thing.
For you who have played Painkiller I think u would agree with me that the hell in PK looks much more professional, it's a bigger world and you have to work a little to kill Lucifer. That's what I call a good final! Actually I think the whole game is better than Doom 3, since you don't have to play in totally darkness (like you have to with doom 3).

But ofcourse you can't compare either doom 3 or painkiller for that matter to HL2! I think Valve will do a great job with the expansion, and probably not do the same mistake they did with HL2 (wich would be releasing it to fast and face all kind of bugs). At least I sure hope so!

I think Aftermath will more or less be a plot redemption for the main game. I remember reading somewhere that LaidLaw said, if Valve had the time, they would have done a few things differently for the endgame. Well, Aftermath is what they would have done differently. Of course, they might have evaluated their plot options for HL3, deciding it would be better to continue Freeman's adventures a little. Maybe in the end, he can shake the G-Man's influence temporarily and therefore HL3 will have a fresh start (right after Aftermath leaves off, or a few years later). Not just the stale "Rise and shine AGAIN, Mr. Freeman" beginning.

But yeah, as long as Aftermath isn't a "filler" episode and actually explains some things and advances the plot then its cool with me.

VALVe has yet to disappoint me. I have no reason to doubt them...

...yet...

AJ Rimmer said:
VALVe has yet to disappoint me. I have no reason to doubt them...

...yet...

You weren't dissapointed with VALVe when they lied about the 9/30 release date and year long delay of HL2? Or when they got busted using a scripted sequence claiming it was "the amazing ai" when the combine kicked in the door on E3 2003? k....

Zeus said:
You weren't dissapointed with VALVe when they lied about the 9/30 release date and year long delay of HL2? Or when they got busted using a scripted sequence claiming it was "the amazing ai" when the combine kicked in the door on E3 2003? k...
got me on the first one you did, but gameplay wise or funwise they have not let me down, and in the end that's all that counts. Granted the delays were a bit of a bitch but the game was great.

azumi said:
spoilers!! be aware! :p

..........Lucifer was way to easy to defeat.......!

bah! it wasn't lucifer, it was betruger fused with a demon dragon. Don't worry about me, I happen to be a HL2 fan AND a D3 fan. *ducks*

Anyway, I think the expansion will be more of the same. Not better, not worse, but...meh.
Anyway, if you are dissapointed, what's the point of calling them up and telling them how much they suck? I doubt that they'll do much about it, except that there's tha smallest smidgen of a chance they'll take some or part of your suggestions and use them in a future title. That is, if you make any suggestions, and don't just say "you suck! because o this, and this, and this, you suck!" than hang up.

I quite liked Doom3, it was too scary for me though, just like when I played the first one. I would have to play it in a nice well lit area with my headphones around my neck and I would play FAST and not bother to take in teh spook factor. My friend things im crazy for thinking Doom3 is scary but ravenholm is not. :\

as';kd;asjdblahblah but I have faith in valve that it will be top notch stuff and stuff.

I can't seem them screwing up really, unless they use some cliche of a plot. But then again, Valve has made it clear that being mainstream is not their goal. Even if its lackluster, lets be honest. Valve has produced multiple games, nourished and helped grow its own mod community ( a rare act, I've yet to see in Id Software, or Epic Games). Even if they do mess up, so what? Valve has done too much to lose our loyalty that easily.

Que-Ever said:
Anyway, if you are dissapointed, what's the point of calling them up and telling them how much they suck? I doubt that they'll do much about it, except that there's tha smallest smidgen of a chance they'll take some or part of your suggestions and use them in a future title. That is, if you make any suggestions, and don't just say "you suck! because o this, and this, and this, you suck!" than hang up.

hmm... don't think I said anything about calling them up and tell them how much they sucked?

socK said:
I quite liked Doom3, it was too scary for me though, just like when I played the first one. I would have to play it in a nice well lit area with my headphones around my neck and I would play FAST and not bother to take in teh spook factor. My friend things im crazy for thinking Doom3 is scary but ravenholm is not. :\

Doom 3 was scary for you? Wow another wacko to add to the list.

Play all the silent hill games in order without cheating and then tell me you felt scared and I might just believe you.

On topic.

How can Valve **** up? They're making a game in the image that want it to be in. However, the game might be ****ed for you and in that regard I feel sorry for you. There are same who can't feel satisfied with excellent games and I pity all of them.

azumi said:
hmm... don't think I said anything about calling them up and tell them how much they sucked?

oh, sorry, that second part of the post wasn't meant for you, for the others saying that they'd drop valve a line, etc. I do that a lot, put two different points in posts and not tell you I changed subjects, I guess I should've been clearer.

I liked Doom 3 at the start... getting scared like hell in all, but then it got boring after about 1/4, or 1/2 (somewhere inbetween) of the game was done

Doom 3 scared me too, Silent Hill was fairly terrifying until I stopped playing because the control system was console-oriented (if there's a way to play the game first-person style, PLEASE let me know). I'm amazed that people are still arguing about D3 vs. HL2 when their entertainment goal was different. I liked the D3 expansion myself - their gravity gun was fun to use.

I like both Doom3+XP and HL2. I'm sure aftermath is going to be great, but a little short as it seems now. If they say it's 1/3 of HL2's length than that's like 4 hours at best which is 1 day worth of gameplay for us HL enthusiasts. Other than that it should be great.

Que-Ever said:
oh, sorry, that second part of the post wasn't meant for you, for the others saying that they'd drop valve a line, etc. I do that a lot, put two different points in posts and not tell you I changed subjects, I guess I should've been clearer.

ah.. allright! :) No hard feelings!

Minerel said:
Epic actually gave $1 million and a License to Unreal Engine 3 to the Red Orchestra Mod.
I know. I'm not saying Epic is like Id. I'm just saying that Valve has always been the hometown, corner grocery friendly company. I really resent Id. They're all talk and their latest entries have sucked.

Doom 3 can s**k my ****.. Doom 3 seems to challange HL2, HL2 kick doom 3's ass

But doom 3 has very luck, if HL3 existed right now at this time doom 3 could only shut up and sit down quiet! :D

Half-Life is the best game in the world after all, and the most popular game too ;)

Zeus said:
Or when they got busted using a scripted sequence claiming it was "the amazing ai" when the combine kicked in the door on E3 2003? k....

What the hell are you talking about? Gabe said "let me remind this is not scripted, your allies and decided when to move etc. etc. etc." during the fight on the streets with the Combine. The door kicking part was a different video entirely.

UndeadScottsman said:
What the hell are you talking about? Gabe said "let me remind this is not scripted, your allies and decided when to move etc. etc. etc." during the fight on the streets with the Combine. The door kicking part was a different video entirely.

Ssssh don't anger Zeus. He'll smite you good with his rod of ignorance.

Back