IGN Interview: Valve's Doug Lombardi

C

Cavalry

IGN said:
While Team Fortress 2 might seem like old news to some, the game has continued to evolve since release. Just recently released was an update that added a new map and mode called Gold Rush, as well as a slew of new Steam achievements and unlockable weapons for the medic class. Valve plans to continue with the updates later on this year.

Lombardi said:
"We're going to keep moving forward with that and moving on to more classes, giving them a similar update as we gave for the medic," Lombardi said. "We'll be talking about that in the next couple of months and I'd imagine there'd be a release out this summer. There'll probably be a new map that goes with it as well."

IGN said:
But will it just be one class at a time like with the medic or will we see multiple classes updated when the next bit of content is made available?

Lombardi said:
"This was sort of an experiment for us with the medic, so as we get going they may sort of come out in clumps later on," Lombardi said. "But right now we're sort of taking it one class at a time and trying to go pretty deep with them and test those against the existing classes in the public game and make sure we don't throw things out of whack too much."

IGN said:
Though there are certainly gamepads out there for PC players to use (the Xbox 360 controller, for example), Lombardi states that Valve is very much interested in producing its own.

Lombardi said:
"It's actually something that, I mean there's nothing to announce yet, but it's something we're definitely looking at. You hit the nail right on the head; there's a lot of games coming out right now on Steam that might be better [with a controller]. Everyday Shooter is a perfect example, right? It's something that we're looking at. It's something that these games are showing us there's a need there. They're proving to us that, oh wow, this is pretty cool. If there was a controller set for these things, they'd be even better. It's something we're looking at and something we're going to start talking to those people who specialize in those areas about."
interview-valves-doug-lombardi-20080513043404651-000.jpg

IGN said:
Looking ahead, Valve might also consider getting into different kinds of payment models than the standard blanket price for a retail box or download. According to Lombardi, Valve is looking closely at Counter-Strike Online, which just recently launched in Asia and uses a microtransaction payment model. Will we ever see Valve bring that kind of financial model to western markets?

Lombardi said:
"For us it's a big experiment. We see it as potentially being huge but it's unproven in the action space and in North America. For us it's like we want to understand how it relates to CounterStrike in Asia, which is a territory where microtransactions are much more evolved. Then we're going to take some of the experience that we gather from that and see if we can bring CounterStrike Online to the States and Western Europe or develop something in a new game that applies that more organically from the design."

You can read the rest of the interview here

I've not played many PC games that I'd prefer to use a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.

Ya i read this like a week ago. Interesting ideas.

Eeeeeih, news that achievement packs will be one class at a time for the time being, talking about a control pad I'll never ever use, and microtransations, blegh... Not an interview that particularly interested or happified me...

No, not the most interesting or promising interview imho. Hate microtransactions and hate controllers on the pc (except for my retro-gaming).

Why does everybody hate controllers for PC games? They are superior for most games other then FPS's.

And strategy games, RPGs, anything where the freedom of a mouse outperforms a d-pad, anything where you have an even mildly complex interface, or anything where you're handicapped by having a limited number of buttons...

The Steam Controller sounds like an awesome idea. I wouldn't ever bother having to get a console.

Not so happy about the Micro transactions, but at least it's nice having some news.

Now if I could download the controller using my internet connection that would be impressive.

must admit, that controller looks pretty sharp

hopefully they will be able to release updates for each class in TF2 alot faster than Mr.Lombardi is implying

Why does everybody hate controllers for PC games? They are superior for most games other then FPS's.
I play almost exclusively FPSs and RTSs so a controller isn't very much use to me, but I can see how it would be preferable for other genres like racing and platformer, but those are more usually associated with consoles.

Which is a shame - a standard pad for pcs and the game we get might not be so limited.

Which is a shame - a standard pad for pcs and the game we get might not be so limited.
If anything is going to become a standard pad for PCs it's the Xbox 360 controller. Maybe Valve could programme it so pressing the Xbox Live button brings up the Steam Community menu? :p

The day that Valve works with Microsoft (and vice-versa) will be the day I buy a 360.

They aren't going to force it down our throats. They're gonna experiment and see if it picks up.

They aren't going to force it down our throats. They're gonna experiment and see if it picks up.

Considering most people are sheep I don't see how "experimenting and seeing if it picks up" is not the same as forcing it down our throats.

Back