Illogical fps

MAx

Reaction score
I just bought me a new 3d-card and expected to get a solid boost in fps, this weird thing happened instead though...
When I started up cs:s with the new card, I could pump it up to some higher levels of graphics, but my fps was still at about 30-40.
Now, even if I put it back to the graphics standard I had with my ti 4600, I still have 30-40 fps.
When I'm doing the vst, I even get LOWER fps if I lower my settings. That doesn't happen in cs:s however, there I get better fps if I lower graphics settings like aa, af or texture size.

Another weird problem happens in the vst if I keep my aa any lower than 4. Some of the textures turn pink! (I don't think it's artifacting since it comes if I LOWER my settings)

As you can imagine I've got quite alot of problems with my PC, mostly becouse of my low fps. Has ANYBODY got any idea what my problem is?

My own theory is that the rest of my system works like bottle neck, but I'm not sure.

I mean, even if it was a bottle neck, would it restrict my fps to 40?
(As it happens I DO get around a 100 fps at the very end of the vst, but right there the graphics are very easy to draw)

Specs:

asus v9999 6800 gt 128mb
Athlon 1800+
512mb sd ram
Agp 4x motherboard

I would give a guess to the the processor. I would say that it is bottlenecked right there. If you were to get around a 2.4 gig p4 or equivalent amd, that you would see a dramatic increase in fps. Look around on newegg.com or ebay for a mobo combo. If you have an nvidia then stay with amd get an asus mobo/amd combo if you have the money. Don't worry about the 4x or 8x agp. Makes no difference in fps. I get the pink checkered textures but only on custom maps when I put my texture detail too high. Hope that helps

You have a 4x agp mobo. 512mb of SD!!! ram. A 1800+ and only a 128mb gt card. Might be why. Try low settings and lower res.

I can't remember if this is right or not, but don't the 6800 series cards require a larger than standard power supply?

If that's right then your card just might not be getting enough power to function correctly.

If it doesn't get enough power or draws to much your system will do one of the following #1 won't start #2 Will start but not show anything on the monitor #3 Start but have graphics corruption #4 Start but crash randomly #5 Start but crash anytime you run a 3d application

Hello well i have the same problem it seems to me its the cpu i have

2 ghz p4 cpu
1024 SD ram
6800 GT 256 Gfx card
Brand New PSU 450 watt

I have benchmarked my system with 3d Mark 05 big boost with new gfx card, but struggles like mad in cpu test, cpu test i get o fps lmfao so any 1 that could recommend a good mobo and cpu and ram to go with my GFX card would be great thx.

I get 2-4 fps in the CPU test in 3dmark05 as well. AMD FX-55 will probably do a bit better but that's expensive :D

Ecthe|ioN said:
I get 2-4 fps in the CPU test in 3dmark05 as well. AMD FX-55 will probably do a bit better but that's expensive :D

thats low lol

If I'm correct, having either 128 or 256 mb of ram on the gpu doesn't really make alot of difference if I run at 1024....right?

Your previous GPU probably supported a lower directx version than your current. Now that you have a directx9 card it can make more advanced effects than the last one, therefore reducing your fps.

asus v9999 6800 gt 128mb
That's your problem. The V9999 isn't a GT at all. It's an OC'ed stock 6800. The GTs come with 256 MB ram by default; the V9999 implies that it's OC but it isn't. You're not getting the boost you wanted because you got ripped off. For literally $5 less, you could have had a GT OC by any reliable manufacturer. I suggest you take that POS back to where you got it.

512 SD ram? As in the old school slow ram? Get some DDR, that will boost your FPS. Also, about the pink textures, you may want to update your g-card drivers.

Eon Blue said:
That's your problem. The V9999 isn't a GT at all. It's an OC'ed stock 6800. The GTs come with 256 MB ram by default; the V9999 implies that it's OC but it isn't. You're not getting the boost you wanted because you got ripped off. For literally $5 less, you could have had a GT OC by any reliable manufacturer. I suggest you take that POS back to where you got it.

It's still a gt core. The difference is the ram it has. While "normal" gt's has ddr3 ram with a clock of 1000 Mhz, this one has ddr1 with 700 Mhz. Except for that, they are alike.

Ps. I have the latest nVidia drivers.

Could be vertical sync... but 40fps seems a bit low for that

MAx said:
It's still a gt core. The difference is the ram it has. While "normal" gt's has ddr3 ram with a clock of 1000 Mhz, this one has ddr1 with 700 Mhz. Except for that, they are alike.

Ps. I have the latest nVidia drivers.

You mean it's an NV420 core. ALL the 6800's use that core.
It has half the memory and 1/3rd less pixel pipes.
And the MSRP is $5 more than I payed for my GT OC (As in, it's pretty much an ultra).

You got ripped off, sir.
And get the beta drivers.

Eon Blue said:
You mean it's an NV420 core. ALL the 6800's use that core.
It has half the memory and 1/3rd less pixel pipes.
And the MSRP is $5 more than I payed for my GT OC (As in, it's pretty much an ultra).

You got ripped off, sir.
And get the beta drivers.

Yep, he got ripped. Take it back.

Back