I'm a noob and I have questions

G

In one of the previous thread people mention that AA wasn't turn on in the hl2 video; Here are my questions:
1- Can anyone tell me what AA is?
2- With AA on, should hl2 look much better?
3- Does anyone find that the game hl2 looks better in the E3 videos posted by fileplanet than in the videos released on steam?
4- If such is the case, is it due to AA off?

:borg: :eek: :afro: :devil: :cheese:

1 smooths out images...

2 yes

3 yes, but not worth the download or wait

4 they look better because the resolution is better and its a direct feed from the game, not like the e3 video where as someone is recording it through a camera on a tv

aa makes things look nicer.....no jaggy lines....the new file planet videos are exact same as on steam...the new ones...k EDIT: i guess fileplanet ones are different

AA is cleanign the edges of the lines makes it sharp not juggy

and the video was great without the shit AA

and i lov HL2

and thanks.

AA does not only get rid of jaggies...anyway..

AF is just as important..

Lets say this...You set HL2 to "max quality settings", yet you dont turn on AF. All your textures will be blurry and have less detail no matter what you set HL2 at if you dont turn AF on in your cards properties.

1. AA = Anti Aliasing
FSAA = Full Screen Anti Aliasing (although I've never seen part screen anti aliasing!?!)

2. It's a personal preference. I don't notice jaggies that much, especially when you are on the move, other people find them abhorrent.

3. Fileplanet are now hosting the same videos we are getting from Steam. Older movies were from video camera - not direct feed.

4. Already answered by other members.

Originally posted by Shockwave
AA does not only get rid of jaggies...anyway..

AF is just as important..

Lets say this...You set HL2 to "max quality settings", yet you dont turn on AF. All your textures will be blurry and have less detail no matter what you set HL2 at if you dont turn AF on in your cards properties.

How do you turn AF and AA on ? Do you turn it on in the game or somewhere else?
could they slow down the game if my pc is not good enough?

wait if your trying to buy nvidia card, do not take the risk. buy ati9800 pro with 128 or 256MB.........:cool:

get the the 128, little difference between the 128 and 256

to get AA/AF in a game, do you first need to turn it on in the videocard-options and after that activate it in the game??
because I turned AF on in a game on max (AF*8), but I didn't see any changes :(

AA

What resolution you in, the higher the resolution the less you will notice what AA does for you.

I liked having the commentary and "wow!" track. It added to the exitement of it... and was almost necessary for the full effect of the g-man part...

as to 128 or not to 128 (256), it's been posted that they'll make full use of capabilities in the future. Depends on how much you wanna spend and how long you want your investment to last...

two beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Just go into display properties, go to the properties of your card, then look for anti-aliasing and AF.

I do notice the difference in AF... it just took me awhile. If you look closely, all the textures look massively clearer.

Originally posted by Piddy
1. AA = Anti Aliasing
FSAA = Full Screen Anti Aliasing (although I've never seen part screen anti aliasing!?!)

Sorry to be nitpicky...but it's Full Scene AntiAliasing. Edge antialiasing would be a partial scene form, which doesn't do as good a job of AA.

I'm sick of everyone bashing nVidia now that they're scared they won't be able to do FSAA on Half-Life 2. They're GREAT CARDS. In my mind nVidia is still king, the 5900 kicks the 9800's ass with AF and AA on.

Ok. I have a ATI 9700 Pro.

Q: Is FSAA the best when it's 4x right? That's the safe bet without huge slow downs?

Q: And in regards to refresh rate in games. In my ATI drivers there is a option in the 'Displays/Attributes' Tab. The option is 'Refresh Rate Overide'. Should I put this on my prefered refresh rate for my PC? ie "Desktop refresh rate"

Your help will be much appreciated guys...

4x AA has an impact on frame rates. If I were you I'd completely turn off AA and just play at high resolutions. Refresh rate has no effect on frame rates, the higher the refresh rate the easier on the eyes. You should set your refresh rate to 85 Hz.

newbie3.jpg

Haha, dont take it seriously, I just had to post this.

it all matters on the rest of your system specs...

I would put up your max resolution ingame...max fsaa settings...max af settings...max refresh rate as long as your computer can handle it...

if it can't...fsaa should be the first to go...then af...then your max resolution

I'm running a ti4200 which is too crappy to run fsaa decent enough for games so I found that having a resolution of 1280x1024 (max for my moniter) makes the game look nearly as good...if you can max your settings then I say do it...

oh ya...thanks for the 85 hertz explanation claws...my eyes feel better...

For ATI cards, this is how you turn on FSAA:
Also, I was wondering, what's the difference between Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering? I only know that Anti-Alisasing is the one that removes jaggies and smoothens out textures.
fsaa.JPG

Back