I'm through, how do I sell the game?

I

Infidel

Maybe this was already discussed in another thread, but I sure can't find it: I have finished the game and would like to sell it via ebay. What do I have to do?

Infidel

Well, according to the EULA, you are technically not allowed to sell it. But you are allowed to transfer your license to another person, as long as you give them everything (game, manual, CD-Key, all materials, Steam account information) and destroy all data related to the game on your hard drive. So, to be completely legal about it, you can't really sell it on eBay. You'd have to transfer your license to someone else for free, and then have that person "donate" money to you.

Of course, if you just put it up on eBay, and included your Steam account information with the item, that would probably work, too. I'd be surprised if Valve cares about this.

Can't really. If you're caught they kill your account.

MaxiKana said:
Can't really. If you're caught they kill your account.
But you are allowed to transfer your license and Steam account to someone else (it's in the EULA). Like I said, you could legally, then, "give" someone your copy.

Furthermore, how the hell would Valve ever know if you sold a copy on eBay? Unless your eBay name is the same as your Steam account name, they wouldn't ever be able to tell. On their end, it would look like another computer was suddenly accessing the same Steam account. As long as the first computer never tried to access it again, they wouldn't disable the account.

BUt this is silly, of course if you get bored of the game you can sell it, what do they expect that you gotta carry the game to the tomb or something ?

BlackMesaDude said:
BUt this is silly, of course if you get bored of the game you can sell it, what do they expect that you gotta carry the game to the tomb or something ?
No, but this is the first game that extensively tracks and monitors the player base (thanks to Steam).

Game developers/publishers want to discourage the aftermarket selling of games as much as possible. Think about it; if my friend can buy my used copy of HL2 for $20 instead of buying a new, retail copy for $50, what will he do? And Valve/Vivendi lose out when he buys my copy instead of his own.

Most companies don't like this, but before Steam, they couldn't ever come close to keeping track of what's going on. If the Overwatch (Valve) decides they are really going to crack down (and they partially already have), they can.

Wait untill the mods start flooding in, then the $50 will seem worthwhile.

^Ben said:
Wait untill the mods start flooding in, then the $50 will seem worthwhile.

don't try to persuade idiots to stick around! let the knobhead try and sell his copy on ebay for $5 and then laugh when he has to buy it again to play the next years equivalent of CS.

Are you calling me an idiot because I want to sell the game?

Anyway, all this talk about the EULA is interesting, but according to the first sale doctrine,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

I am pretty much allowed to sell the game, whatever the EULA says or not.

The only thing that interests me is how to go about it.

Infidel

I'd sell it to a freind.

Just give them your steam login details.

Infidel said:
Are you calling me an idiot because I want to sell the game?

Anyway, all this talk about the EULA is interesting, but according to the first sale doctrine,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

I am pretty much allowed to sell the game, whatever the EULA says or not.

The only thing that interests me is how to go about it.

Infidel
From the link you posted:

"The first-sale doctrine as it relates to computer software is an area of legal confusion. Software publishers claim the first-sale doctrine does not apply because software is licensed, not sold, under the terms of an End User License Agreement (EULA). The courts have issued contrary decisions regarding the first-sale rights of consumers."

It is not so clear-cut when it comes to software. If Valve cracks down on violators of their EULA, they could possibly be ruled in the wrong by the courts, but that still doesn't stop them from disabling your Steam account in the first place. Basically, Valve has the final say unnless you want to take them to court.

Back