Imagine if Half life 2 had...

shyy

Reaction score
If HL2 had realisitc shoot feedback (forgot what you call it...) like resident evil 4 has!
If you don't know what I am talking about grab the latest resident evil 4 trailer and see how they react when they get shot especially in the head.

That would be awesome agree?

I think I know what you mean, locational physics? Like if you get shot in the army your arm would go back or if you get shot in the head your head would go back?

Maybe... but they won't implement it. At least not now. You could probably mod it but I'm not sure.

It's called key-frame animation or something. AFAIK, it's not in-game right now but Source supports it (right?).

So we're having the bullet impact flinch discussion again, under a different name?

the one thing i hope that they have is when you shoot someone you can go see where you hit them... exit wounds and stuff like that makes games awesome.. like far cry has bullet wounds.. i love shooting a guy down in the distance and running up to see where i shot him up :)

-merc

merc said:
the one thing i hope that they have is when you shoot someone you can go see where you hit them... exit wounds and stuff like that makes games awesome.. like far cry has bullet wounds.. i love shooting a guy down in the distance and running up to see where i shot him up :)

-merc
I remember seeing a screenshot of half-life 2 in PC gamer and they said that it is in the game, I will go get the magazine and check again.
There is a picture of an ant lion being shot at and there are bullet holes in it, enter and exit, and the caption says Bullets leave their mark, on the world, objecs, characters- everything.

Foxtrot said:
I remember seeing a screenshot of half-life 2 in PC gamer and they said that it is in the game, I will go get the magazine and check again.
There is a picture of an ant lion being shot at and there are bullet holes in it, enter and exit, and the caption says Bullets leave their mark, on the world, objecs, characters- everything.

Also check ravenholm... the half-body... the legs hanging... :bounce:

You can see it in the Barricade bink, when the ressistance fighter is gunned down by a sentry gun, a blood decal appears where the bullet hit him.
Another example is the Zombie part of the E³-2k4 movie, while the player beats up that hanging torso , you can also see blood decals appearing on it.

Wouldn't it be cool if HL2 had pie?

Anyways, im sure they will have cool bullet decals, that is a key part to the realism of HL2 or any other game (Hitman had crappy bullet decals tho : D)

Foxtrot said:

Lol, I think merc would know.

Dalamari said:
Wouldn't it be cool if HL2 had pie?

Oh my God yes! I would be like rubbing it all over my body (especially my penis)

nw909 said:
Lol, I think merc would know.

well i didnt seem to notice it when i was playing... i just hope it is there in final version... maybe bullet holes only show in ant lions?

-merc

ShadowFox said:
You guys will like Doom 3. Per-pixel hit detection. :)
Lots of games have that, I think half-life 1 had it.

Doom 3 is the first published game to use it, if i'm not mistaken.

Which means that essentially a rocket could fly through the legs on a model :p

FISKER_Q said:
Doom 3 is the first published game to use it, if i'm not mistaken.

Which means that essentially a rocket could fly through the legs on a model :p
I don't think it is the first, I know ut2k4 doesn't use hit boxes...but I don't know what it uses.

I think per-pixel hit detection is flawed. People with lower resolution computers could more easily hit a pixel of another player at 800x600 than 1280x1024...or larger (heh, 1600x1200 or more).

...just seems like there'll be troubles with it to me.

Now, if you want fairly good looking blood splatter - I'll have to point you towards The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. When you're attacking a guard and reverse his own weapon against him...then it fires, and he'll fall over dead, and then above him, on the wall or ceiling will be a bloodline following the bullet's path out of his head. There seems to be a bit to much when you're shooting at people normally though (not gallons of it like Sword of Beserk or anything, just a little more than seems realistic).

merc said:
well i didnt seem to notice it when i was playing... i just hope it is there in final version... maybe bullet holes only show in ant lions?

-merc

merc did you notice combine soldier flinching or acting as though they got hurt when they were shot?

I don't see that happening at all in the vids - hope they add it. It's extremely unrealistic when the combine soldiers just stand after being shot as though nothing happened.

It's all about those talented men with their programming machines, they shall make it so you can watch the eyeballs pop out of the heads of those that **** with you, and the list shall be long and cruel, people shall be crying for mercy from the images that we inflict upon them and governments shall demand our names.

UltimaGecko said:
Now, if you want fairly good looking blood splatter - I'll have to point you towards The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

Never heard of it. Got a link?

we have seen that happening, in the E3 2k4 presentation when he hits the legs hanging down from a rope they have marks exactly where they are hit, i think we shall also have some spceial treats in store like pople getting impaled on stuff...sickeningly fun.

Rupertvdb said:
we have seen that happening, in the E3 2k4 presentation when he hits the legs hanging down from a rope they have marks exactly where they are hit, i think we shall also have some spceial treats in store like pople getting impaled on stuff...sickeningly fun.
Yeah, there's definitely decal marks on people - look for a few moments after, when Gordon crowbars the Zombie in the head, you can see hit marks there as well.

Sry to be off-topic, but im not used to Abom making a post without the thread suddenly being closed. : P

Dalamari said:
Sry to be off-topic, but im not used to Abom making a post without the thread suddenly being closed. : P
That was harsh :/ I do get involved, honest!

lol Abom must've locked A LOT of threads otherwise. I doubt the community is that much of a pain in the ass ;)

UltimaGecko said:
I think per-pixel hit detection is flawed. People with lower resolution computers could more easily hit a pixel of another player at 800x600 than 1280x1024...or larger (heh, 1600x1200 or more).

...just seems like there'll be troubles with it to me.

Now, if you want fairly good looking blood splatter - I'll have to point you towards The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. When you're attacking a guard and reverse his own weapon against him...then it fires, and he'll fall over dead, and then above him, on the wall or ceiling will be a bloodline following the bullet's path out of his head. There seems to be a bit to much when you're shooting at people normally though (not gallons of it like Sword of Beserk or anything, just a little more than seems realistic).

The flaw in that logic is this: In a lower res screen, the model will be comprised of less pixels and thus not any easier to hit as I see it, so it becomes moot. Essentially, it takes up the same amount of the screen, just has less detail.

On a side note, is Half-Life 2 still using hit boxes?

billbo said:
The flaw in that logic is this: In a lower res screen, the model will be comprised of less pixels and thus not any easier to hit as I see it, so it becomes moot. Essentially, it takes up the same amount of the screen, just has less detail.

On a side note, is Half-Life 2 still using hit boxes?

Yes it is, only very accurate ones (like not just cube shaped)

Murray_H said:
Yes it is, only very accurate ones (like not just cube shaped)
I will not be happy until I can see part of a persons brain rip off and splatter against the wall behind him when I shoot him.

Whoa HL1 used cube hitboxes...talk about going for optimization...sheesh. I've never noticed. Actually i dont give a flying shit about per pixel hit detection. How many times is that going to come in useful. In every single favorable mention of Doom3, ive heard per-pixel hit detection. Who cares? As long as bullets aren't going through the freaking guy, who cares if you can shoot a bullet through thier hand? How many times will that happen? 0.000001% of the time? well whoop de doo, out of 100000, you made one more of those bullets hit. Whoop de ****ing doo.

adulus said:
Whoa HL1 used cube hitboxes...talk about going for optimization...sheesh. I've never noticed. Actually i dont give a flying shit about per pixel hit detection. How many times is that going to come in useful. In every single favorable mention of Doom3, ive heard per-pixel hit detection. Who cares? As long as bullets aren't going through the freaking guy, who cares if you can shoot a bullet through thier hand? How many times will that happen? 0.000001% of the time? well whoop de doo, out of 100000, you made one more of those bullets hit. Whoop de ****ing doo.
I have to agree - for all that processor strain it's putting on, it's not really worth it right now.

SMT said:
So we're having the bullet impact flinch discussion again, under a different name?

Welcome to halflife2.net! :cheese:

There's a regular pattern in this all, you can almost predict the minute a discussion about a retailer pushing its date back starts again or something like that.

Seriously... how many flinching discusions do people really need.... its not that big a deal!!

Well, I dont think it is..... :p

Back