In need of some serious help...

M

Muffinhead420

Hello Halflife2.net, I have been having some major issues with Steam for the past two days and am in need of assistance.
I bought The Orange Box yesterday and installed it on my brand new laptop (that runs Vista) and have been running into problems left and right. Whenever I want to run Half Life 2, a little window pops up that shows this little message...
my.php

http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newbitmapimageqw2.png
Now i have checked the support section of Steampowered and all it says about this is to delete an extra steam.dll I may have. I do not have an extra steam.dll and it still does not work when i delete my only one. If anyone on this forum knows how to get rid of this, please let me know.

My second problem is that the other four games do not launch at all. Whenever I double click the game or click "Launch", the games pop up to this window
my.php

http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newbitmapimage2bi0.png
and then immediately fades away or goes away right afterwards. I've checked my specs numerous times, deleted loads of files which keep coming back and repeat this, and must have reinstalled steam about ten times and the games about five. Please help me with my current situation.

i doubt that. Steam is capable of running on Vista, can someone with first hand experience at these problems help please?

Okay, Uhm, what're your laptop's specs?

3000 MHz CPU
1791 MB RAM
Direct X 10
752 MB NVIDIA Geforce 7000M

^ IS THAT LAPTOP? :p
Ok try deleting everything from C:\Program Files\Steam except Steam.exe and steamapps folder

Oh my, laptops these days. Insane.
Yeah, try cleaning. Don't let anything out! Destroy it alll
an uninstall doesn't kill everything. Then reinstall from the website.

Don't uninstall Steam because it will delete your GCF files

Alternatively, cut/paste the Steamapps folder to someplace on the same hard drive, and reinstall Steam. If Steam then works, cut/paste the Steamapps folder back to where it normally should go.

You did a full system search for steam.dll I take it, rather than manually looking for it?

Oh ok, it works now. I did system searches before but this time I found the spare .dll. Thanks Link.

Back