including custom models in maps (file location)

pmab

Reaction score
Hi, I've compile a test model, appears to be successful from studiomdl output, and results in 5 files, the .mdl, 3 x .vtx and 1 vvd, however I've got no clue where the hell im supposed to actually dump these so that they appear in hammer's filebrowser, ive tried a fair few locations in the cs-s directory and sdk directory but no luck.

Anyone had any luck with these?

Try

yoursteamlocation\steamapps\sourcesdk\cstrike_sample_content\models

Put the files in their own directory in there.

I had to use trial and error for inserting custom textures, but I found it in the end

i myself would like to know how to export a model from 3DSmax (not animated just as 1 model (prefab) for now, just to see how it looks in-game, if anyone finds out how to do this, please do tell !

thanks

DelaZ, dude, thanks alot !
well, i exported it to .smd, but i just want to use it as a prefab, to test it, just a plain .mdl, and import it into a map, how do i change it from .smd to .mdl ??? :eek:
sorry to be such a pain in the ass ;)
thanks

nice vid, probably easier and quicker just to type it.

where are the vmt and vtf files from? do i need to run the smd through something other than studiomdl?

edit: looks like the vtex utility has something to do with it, i'll have a play with that.

for some weird reason my model wont load in the hammer editor..?
it's just the model, no bones in it, just mode+textures, i do the .smd export, and then i make it with studiomdl to an .mdl file, and then i do the same as in the video you made, and the red square stays, and the model doesn't show up :/
got any clue what i'm doing wrong here ?

tia

does your model display correctly in hlmv?

I've got to the stage of viewing the model, but I've not managed to get the textures to display.

nope, i did all the commands in studiomdl, and some things give errors ..
and when i open it in mdlviewer it wont work :/ ?...

Can i say something... from my current experience HAMMER is a BITCH!!! I mean this is the most primitive, annoying, featureless bunch of frustrating software i have ever had the unwelcome operttunity to use!

I've been trying the same from max and found that the phys file is not created by studiomdl. Even re-exporting the cstrike_sample_content max files to smd's and running studiomdl will create the file. But I try the same thing on a textured box using the qc file from the lamp folder and export a box.smd and box_phys.smd change the names in the qc to reflect this and I get no .phys file like when you compile there sample files. I've found that compiling from the sourcesdk then moving the files to you models directory in a created mod will let you see the mdl's but any custom one is just a black empty view with the model viewer

FreemanHL2 said:
Can i say something... from my current experience HAMMER is a BITCH!!! I mean this is the most primitive, annoying, featureless bunch of frustrating software i have ever had the unwelcome operttunity to use!

I am not quite as black and white on Hammer yet, but I am getting there and do sympathize.
It does seem to fight you a lot of the way ( though some of the in editor features are nice). It does seem that it really is convolouted to get a simple thing like a model, static or otherwise.
I am starting to get surprised that so much content was made for the first game.

Is there a step by step on importing models, static preferably into Hammer?

Back