Infantry Soldier

The only ways I can get my elbows on the bottom of my arms are by either having my palms facing up... or getting my hands cut off and sewn back on the wrong way. When the palms are facing down the arms usually bend forward (possibly with a slight upward motion) unless you are trying to bend them straight up while keeping the hands level... which causes pain in my shoulders.

I'm highly amused by the mental image of several of you sitting there with your arms outstretched, rotating them to try and make your elbows face downwards.

Did you know that if your hand is bigger than your face, it's a sign of intelligence?

Did you know that if your hand is bigger than your face, it's a sign of intelligence?.

Yea and if youve got big feet they say youve got a big dick..! not entirley sure if thats true or not either ;)

Sorry back on topic love this m8 did you use the joan of arch tut for help with this.?

it looks good, it just seems the guy wont have much of a neck, you may need to scoot the helmet up al ittle.

well... this is my 3rd player model to be exact. But my 2nd low polgon player model. I have only just really got into player modelling, I learnt nearly all my skills from the joan of arch tutorial. Then I moved onto weapons now I am onto characters. In the Infantry Solider I made everything polgon on the mesh. I only used one geometry peace and that was a cylinder for the circle thingy on the chest. But I have got rid of that now. So basiclly I have generated everything single polgon freehand, thats how I model. I showed Mace a VTM of me working on a weapon and he was shocked. He said he never actually knew you could model like that. He said it looks hard at the start. But then he could understand how it makes things to much easier.

MEHHHH! SCHOOL TIME!

I have finished of the feet, even though the shoes look pritty crappy. I am going to have to do some reaserch into big boots. Anyway, I will post some enw renders when I get back.

I work in a similar way - I usually start off with a basic primitive, but it's all just hand-built polys after that.

Corrected typo in thread title, as it was beginning to aggravate me

Weeee, another update:

Light_Infantry_Wire_Beta4.jpg

Light_Infantry_Beta12.jpg

Light_Infantry_Beta13.jpg

Its only the face to go now. Also some minor strucutre toach ups at the end to optamise things. But its getting close

/me starts to bite his nails!

Ichi, are you going to do a full gas mask or just a plain face with no added extras such as goggles, helmet strap, glasses, etc?

dunno yet.... I need practice doing human features so proberly a full head. Then make the helmet whole as well. So if it was added to a game it could be knocked off.

yeah Ichi, youve done a really good job. i prefer the torso to the legs. the legs just dont seem right, but tweaking and some advice from other character modelers might clear that up. the boots, i think need a touch more shape to them, atm they're very regular on both sides. also the knees pads dont get me going. i think the problem with that, is the shape at the the back, they need to come in more, and the material needs to for a sideways U shape where it dips in for the strap and then back out.

it looks very good though Ichi, very impressive...i see you moved the elbow pads :p

I'm new to modeling, what do you mean by hand-built poly's? Just primitive modeling with extruding, beveling, etc.?

BTW it's looking good, I tried that Joan of Arc tutorial and decided the only way i could ever use 3dsMax was for weapon modeling. That and the fact that the language in the tutorial is hard to understand. :dozey:

My only crit is for those boots, but you said you'd fix them up, :D Actually I think he might look kind of silly when he's crouched over because he's so bulky, but thats just a silly gripe, hehe! Good work dude! :afro:

another update. I amde the elbow pads tighter and made the feet smaller. I also put the knee caps in the correct place, which no one actually noticed :p Anyway here it is, has anyone got an image refrences of a male face? like front back and side? High resolution as well. I can't seem to find any, Well theya re some of 3d.sk, but I can't afford 5usd with a visa I am never going to get :p

Light_Infantry_Beta14.jpg

There is a very good website, sorry can't remember the address, full of model pictures i.e. naked women, men, clothed women and men, and upclose pictures of features.

Owwww. its been a while. But its actually nearly 100% finished, Also my advanced 3dsmax particle and rigging VTM's come through the post in a couple of days. So it should help me create some animations and maybe throw some particles all over him :D I also got a skinning VTM cd all together I think I got 50hours of vtm's for about 110 usd. Anyway, here it is. Its 6686 Triangles atm thats will fully everything. Also thats with it still having a symatry map on. So I can optamise it a little bit and I will see what I can do. Anway enough said. Here we are :D

Drum role.....

lol it would be funny if everyone hated it :p

Light_Infantry_Final.jpg

Like penny said, something isnt quite right with the head. Maybe its too big or too round... dont know really :)

I love to see the progress right from the start of this model, and it looks wicked. Keep up the good work!

Very nice man. I think the neck may be a little too thick and the face/head possible a little large. Hold your hand to your face to see how much it covers then copy one of his hands and move it to his head to compare, that might help check proportions. The key facial features may need a tad more definition. These are just guesses as to what seems to make the head seem a little off, it is still great though, nice work.

ye, i made the head thicker before I posted it. I just realised how much of a bad idea it was. I will make new renders when I have some time.

Thanks for all the help guys :D

do u like my new avantar :D

Can you also put up a pic of him actually wearing the helmet too?

I took the heltmet off him because I modelled it before I modelled the head and its not modelled to his head. I need to reshape it and redo the helmet to fit in with his head. I will get it done by monday, I am just busy with work atm :(

Ah k, np. Just wanting to see him wearing it to get a better look at how he will be when finished :)

looks great. i hope those ref pics were useful and high enough res for ya. damn nice job.

He looks like a guy at my school. With a baloon head :S
Make it a bit thinner ;)

I think it'd be cool if you left the helmet as a seperate model so that the helmet can come off. In day of defeat if there is an explosion really close to a soldier, sometimes his helmet will fly off. That would be sweet with a physics system ;).

I re-made scalled the head and everything and now the model looks like this:

Light_Infantry_Final2.jpg

Ye I am currently learning how to skin. But also failing at the same time. I need someone to teach me tbh :p I actually unwrapped this model and everything and its all ready to be skinned. I supose if there ever was going to be a skinning competition hl2.net could use it if they liked.

Veeeerrry Nice :)

Now im no model critic, but looking at the face it seems flat, like a oriental look, apart from the Nose, which looks like someone hit it with a hammer :)

The nose is a bit to big, kinda squashing out (trying hitting your nose with a hammer to see what I mean).

heeeyyyy, i think i just realised why his head looks...fat.

i reckon that you need to make the jaw more defined at the back, so theres a dip where it meets the middle of the head, if you get what im saying, that in turn will make the head thinner at the back and should fix the problem of his fat head :naughty:

Looks very nice, except hands. I would add a bit more sections at finger joints, because it will looks funky during rigging/animation if you have your hands like that.

Also, can you tell me what render do you use? 3d Studio Max 6 build-in render or Bazil (or Brazil)?

I use e-light. Its basiclly your average lights inside of 3dsmax6 but positioned correctly in a sort of dome like shape. With Light Tracer on as well which is a standard feature in max. Its not even really a addon to max really. All it is is a basic script that sets up the lights for you.

Also about the hands. I think they are fine tbh. They don't need any more polgons I actually think they have to many polgons compared to some models out there for games. Also you said about the joints needing more polgons. I have no clue what you mean there unless I am missing somthing. I have sections for the fingers and it seems to rig fine to me... am I missing something...

IchI said:
I use e-light. Its basiclly your average lights inside of 3dsmax6 but positioned correctly in a sort of dome like shape. With Light Tracer on as well which is a standard feature in max. Its not even really a addon to max really. All it is is a basic script that sets up the lights for you.

Also about the hands. I think they are fine tbh. They don't need any more polgons I actually think they have to many polgons compared to some models out there for games. Also you said about the joints needing more polgons. I have no clue what you mean there unless I am missing somthing. I have sections for the fingers and it seems to rig fine to me... am I missing something...

By hands I mean fingers, here check out attachment. It all depends what you model of course, but beware, if you leave them like that, you fingers animation will look funky, I learned that the hard way :/

Well, I mean it all depends on what he will be doing with the fingers, if he just holds a weapon, never mind then :) Hope you don’t take it personal :)

nice model ichi, you sure are good at it...

-merc

eek, my model is poo poo. Leave this thread dead :p

Back