Ink Cartridges

What do you do about ink for your printer?

• I buy the reccomended printer-brand cartridges, and i'm happy with them.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I buy the reccomended printer-brand cartridges, but i'm not happy.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I buy the other-brand cheaper 'compatible' ink cartridges, and i'm happy.

• I buy the other-brand cheaper 'compatible' ink cartridges, but i'm not happy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I refill my own cartridges, and i'm damn good at it (and happy)!

• I refill my own cartridges, but i'm unhappy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have a printer, but I like voting in polls! (I bet there's a couple.)

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have recently started refilling my own ink cartridges, and I am pleased with the results. I just thought i'd find out what everyone else did. The main reason I started refilling is the cost of the own-brand cartidges, and i'm happy with the results. Anyone else had a similar experiance? Amusing stories involving printing ink, a close family member and a refilling syringe welcome. :cheese:

I dont have a printer!! And I like it!

w00t w00t

sssssh...... Im spanking my mom

EDIT:-FLS: This post is a bit too spammy. Try to be a bit more helpful/constructive

I just by the company brand cards.

I don't run out of ink much because I don't print much.

Originally posted by wowyouareacow
I dont have a printer!! And I like it!

w00t w00t

*slaps self in forehead for trying to be funny with stupid poll option*

D'oh!

Originally posted by jabberwock95
*slaps self in forehead for trying to be funny with stupid poll option*

D'oh!

*helps you with the slapping* tsjjjj "bitch slap"

"peace"

I buy the reccomended cartridges and am fine with them...

What I don't like, though, is how brand new printers only come with a half-full cartridge... I guess they just couldn't give you one at all, but just *seems* low...

I have a printer but I dont use it. Much rather use the one at school or work and save $ on ink.

I don't buy nor refill cartriges. I have a color matrix printer...

The main reason to buy manufacturer's ink is if you also use brand name paper. Brand name ink with brand name paper gives the best archival life. For example, HP ink with HP paper gives an archival life of 60 some years.

Be carful with self-refills though. If your cartridge leaks and damages your printer, you may have a fun time explaining that to the manufacturer. Also, some printers like Epson have chips on the cartridges that need to be reset in order for you to use the cartridge a second time.

You can have some places refill your cartridges for you. Canadian Staples for example will refill your cartridges through an outside company called Inkjet Canada. They drain, refill, reset chips, test and seal the cartridges. They actually use the exact same ink that the manufacturer does, only they add literally a drop of one other harmless ingredient in order to avoid lawsuits.

There is pretty much no reason to buy brand name carteridges. For the price of two of the carteridges for my printer I can buy the whole printer again. Refilling is cheap and easy, and unless you doing archival priting in the above example, the lifetime for the printing is enough.

Leaking is not a problem if you seal the hole after by dripping wax over it.

I havent bought a carteridge in four years, not since I started Uni and I graduated last may.

Originally posted by poseyjmac
this thread is so exciting!

Yes i'm rivited! I hate the price of the stuff, but i'm way too lazy to seek an alternative.

Whoa. Just got up. The things that go on in my thread while I am sleeping. Oh well.

I agree with $pazmatazz that own-brand cartridges do have a longer ink life, but if you aren't going to keep the stuff for 60 years I don't suppose it matters much. I used to use own-brand cartridges until recently, the main reson being the simplicity. I knew where to get them, I knew what to do with them, and I knew which company to scream at if they went wrong. The main reason I went to refilling is that I do a quite a lot of printing (I print digital photos) and I was sick of the cost of the cartridges. I bought the refilling kit for £7 (half the cost of a black cartridge) and I also needed a 'chip resetter' for another £7 (my printer is an Epson Photo 790). So far it hasn't given me any trouble. Epson cartridges, although they are 'chipped' are quite easy to refill. All you do is stick the syringe in a little hole and inject ink. Some other cartridges need you to drill a 'breathing hole' in the side, but thats a bit too much trouble for me. If anyone wants any more info, either PM me or reply in this thread. For info on good compatible cartridges and refilling kits, go to http://www.jettec.com .

I used to refill cartridges in years past. It could get messy at times. I only did black though. I would be more concerned with the quality of color ink. I just printed 16 sheets of wallet-sized photos (144 count) for christmas cards pics. Consitent color is important, especially when doing a lot of photo prints.

Cartridges are ridiculously expensive.

I type up my work on word, then i copy what i see on the screen onto a piece of papyrus with a quill and ink.

I buy the branded cartridges, but now my printer doesn't want to print in colour :(

Printers are more trouble than they are worth

Try this site (UK people) http://ink2u.co.uk/

Back