Install original Half-Life without Steam?

GetCool

Reaction score
I just installed HL1 and Opposing Force from Steam, but they both suck, because Steam constantly is "connecting to server" whenever the map changes, I get a bunch of lag that I shouldn't, and I can't use the high-def model pack that comes with Blue Shift.

How are you people playing HL1, Opposing Force & Blue Shift these days? If I install them from the original game CDs I have, will Steam try to hijack them when I start it up?

no, Steam won't I dont think.

I use the non-steam versions, but I don't know if steam will steal it when you install from CD. I installed both before I got steam.

Audiophile said:
no, Steam won't I dont think.

I use the non-steam versions, but I don't know if steam will steal it when you install from CD. I installed both before I got steam.
So you're saying you installed from CD before you ever installed Steam, and now you can just play them without Steam?

If that works then I'll have to uninstall Steam and give that a shot.

Go in to your Original Half-Life folder....create a shortcut to desktop(for easier use) Mine is: D:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe
Yo do NOT have to run it through steam....if you Reinstall HL1..just install like in the Old days : X:\sierra\Half-Life

HTH
Fork

The game installs just fine from the original CD without Steam. Steam has no idea I have it installed on my hard drive now. I guess my fear that Steam would hijack the game was based on an unsubstantiated rumor.

Back