Interesting Release info....read

Goombatommy

Reaction score
I was at work today, and I called EBX from my work. I asked him when they would be recieving HL 2. While he was looking it up, I said "I'm pretty sure that they will be shipping HL 2 and should be in store around September 30th." He replied:
"Well, thats for people online. Steam subscribers. Steam subscribers will get it September 30th, but people who are expecting a walk in and buy *physical* copy of the game, will have to wait until Nov. 20th."

I was like, how is that? He replies "It's a Valve release. Our corporate headquarters ARE aware of the Sept. 30th release date, but we still plan on holding true to Nov. 20th release date." Then, he continued on saying "Sometimes software companies are funny, and they ship software surprisingly, before hand even before it's official release date." When he said that, I was back to believing that EBX stores will be getting their copies in on Sept. 30th.

I dunno about you guys, but I think this is a crock of shit. I mean, I do believe it will come out Sept. 30th like everyone else does, but if it were ever true what he said before, about Steam subscribers getting it Sept. 30th while people who walk in, or pre-ordered it @ EBX gets it Nov. 20th, that would be a totaly crock of shit, *pardon my language admins*. I mean, if it were released say at Best Buy, Gamestop has their release date set on Feb 4th 2004. The guy their said "yea, it has been pushed back to Feb 4th 2004." I believe they were totally off. Well, I just wanted to inform you guys what I went through with EBX today. No flaming, just a decent response / comments. Thanks.

I think its BS , but speaking Hypothetically , if that happened , id buy it off of steam in an instant lol.

Sounds like bollocks. Neither Valve nor Vivendi would think of doing that, as box sales are a main part of their income. Not everyone's going to want it from Steam.

Yes, we all think it's a crock of shit too, and if you did yourself think it was a crock of shit you probably shouldn't of posted, because it is actually a crock of shit.

Valve recently stated that HL2 will be released in the stores, the same time it's released over Steam - worldwide.

I'm never going to trust a game retailers word again. They have no idea what they're talking about.

yes that's all bs, probably some nerd thinking he knows something, prob works for planethalflife too :p

The publisher (sierra, vu or whoever) just can't be that stupid. By the time the boxed version comes, no one would care, as most would have allready bought it through steam.

If they want to sell the game off steam, then they SHOULD do it. I will buy it off steam if I get it earlier!

This just shows that there is no reason to trust rumours.

Gabe has already said that store release and Steam release would happen at the same time.

Smack that guy for me, thanks.

GASP.

A guy at EB talking absolute rubbish. How very unusual!

Originally posted by Javert
Gabe has already said that store release and Steam release would happen at the same time.

Smack that guy for me, thanks.

:) :) :) :) :):cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If HL2 ends up coming out on the 30th, it's pretty amazing how many misinformed people there are. Everyone has a different release date, different idea about the release versions, it's insane. Did this all start with a simple "miscommunication" with Vivendi?

Well the first retailer I can remember having a different release date was amazon.com.

That was ages ago. Back in July.

Then there were more sites, with different dates, then the miscommunication, then more rumours, then that ever so painful and deadly period where there was at least 2 delay threads a day, then ECTS, where it was all confirmed as being 30/09 still.

OMG, EB is gona steal my $5 I put down for the preorder. The horror!

Is there any viable place that you can pre-order offline and get it shipped to u on sept30?

Well, here's a quote that I got off of another Half Life 2 website called "Half Life 2 Online Source". This news is as of September 6th:

"The sad news is that there are rumors again about the release date. Information released by the English game portal C&VC says that all customers of the e-shop "Game" that pre-ordered Half-Life 2, recently received e-mail from administration, where they were informed that release date of HL2 is changed to November 2003."

Then it goes on saying:

"The administration of "Game" siad that this information was received from Vivendi Universal. This is getting annoying because the original release date, September the 30th, was confirmed by Valve. If Valve won't explain the release date going-on's, their community will have a lot of angry fans."

Didn't all the Valve employee's say at Valve that they are still on track for 30th Sep? I doubt it will be Steam only aswell. That would be suicide on there servers anyway...

Back