Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9::Present()

BTW, I have a Geforce, so it's not limited to ATI. Your "fix" is most likely a coincidence; it "fixed itself" at times on my machine too. Looks like it's pretty random, or maybe that just a small delay/error can at some point screw the whole game up.

Anyway, I noticed that HL2/Source does not take kindly to other applications running in the background, i.e. multitasking. As much as I like the graphics and the physics, these kinds of little problems are practically non-existent in other engines like Doom 3 or the UT2004 engine.

It gave me allot of grief last night on he Synergy mod, but I was playing allot yesterday and I didn't get a single error during the afternoon.

Ah the Source engine, its great, but its errors are fairly random, at least to me.

Yup, i have the same problem many many others are having, ill go to play Half Life 2: Episode One, when i click start new game, its loads about 75%, then crashes giving me the infamous Internal Driver Error In IDirect3DDevice9::present()error. None of my other Steam/Valve games do this tho, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 2, CSS, or any of the gmods. Just episode one. My system Specs are AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor, 1GB DDR2 Ram, VisionTek Readon X1300 256MB Graphics. i have the latest direct x version along with my driver versions, i visited their website and everything is up to date. ive tried alot of these little tips, searched for answers for countless hours, still nothin. Surely someone has had this same problem and was able to fix it. Or you would think Steam would come out with a patch for this because this DOES sound like a source engine bug and i think the game creators should take responsability in fixing a problem like this when there are almost 10 pages of people talking about the same problem. I love steam and all of their games, but dang it i cant stand starting a game storyline and not being able to finish it!:S So if some one could help it would help me and many others!! Thx XD

Internal Driver Error fix(for people who can get to the main menu)

I know how to fix this problem for the people who have up to date everything and can get to the game's main menu. What you have to do is boot up the game, go to options, video, turn of HDR(if its on) and set your screen resolution to the lowest(640X whatever) and enjoy =D Im sure if you look into this there is probably a way to force launch the game with the lowest screen resolution for the people who cant even launch the game, either way this IS the fix for this irratating error.

NOTE: You CAN set your screen resolution back to w/e it was after the games is loaded BUT at loading screens it will randomly crash on you with this error(like it will load sometimes w/o any trouble, then someitmes it will do it everytime) I believe anything above 800X600 causes the game to crash.

Unfortunately this fix does not work for me moving down to 680x480 resolution did nothing till go the Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9::present() .

Looks pretty funny on a 22inch screen. Nothing in steam works DOD, CS:SOurce HL2 :(

ok, so maybe that fix I posted a fortnight or so ago was more a random fix than anything else- all the same i thought I'd layout everything I did because that week I finished playing through the rest of the game absolutely smoothly.

1. I downloaded the Catalyst 8.1 drivers (the latest ones as of early Feb) ** I also downloaded the Catalyst 8.1 AGP fix (I have an old AGP x850 PE)
2. I downloaded the last DirectX 9.0c update
3. I scanned the game cache files in my steam account (EP1 only)
4. I de-fragmented the game cache files for EP1 in my steam account (even though it showed 0% fragmentation after the scan, it might only be a tiny proportion much less than 1% that gets rounded to 0%)- so de-fragment anyway
5. I deleted the local content off my steam account (EP1 only), then re-downloaded the game files (didn't take too long)

so then after these things being fixed up, there was genuinely no problems. i think it might have been something to do with fragmented game files in the end causing the problems.

you sould get 2gb of ram and update your os and video card and sound card lol

It's fixed

This bug goes beyond the stupid to just downright irritating. theres posts here stretching back THREE (3) years for this error, all on ATi cards, all the same error...

I joined up tonight because for the last fortnight hl2ep1 was running fine and then what do you know, the old IDirect3DDevice9::present() rears its ugly head and it doesn't run at all.

tried rolling reinstalling older and newer driver versions and it did not work. tried re-downloading ep1 off steam, didn't work. then i looked through this forum and found a 2 year old post that actually fixed the cursed thing.

it seems like a ritual, but it all seems to hinge around interruoting a directx7 test. I mean i got this problem tonight and i fixed it tonight (i just finished playing through a level i couldn't even load earlier).

1. run dxdiag (run -> dxdiag)
2. under the display tab click test Direct3D
NOW YOU HAVE TO INTERRUPT THIS TEST WHEN YOUR SCREEN FIRST GOES BLACK
3. once the direct3d level 7 test begins press any random letter keys and it will say you interrupted the test by pressing a key
4. you should now let it test direct3d level 8 and 9 (hopefully without a problem; this directx cube will turn up on screen)
5. mysteriously enough, it's now fixed. launch HL2 ep 1 and enjoy!

now if you get any 'weird' error messages (OTHER than the one saying you interrupted the test by pressing a key) when dxdiag is running the first direct3d test (level 7), exit dxdiag, then run it again and try to be a bit quicker pushing some letter keys (eg. a, s, c,, whatever a couple).

if you get no problems running the direct3d levels 8 & 9 tests, you won't have any problems with that nasty old IDirect3DDevice9::present() rubbish.

So I hope this fixes up some of your persisting problems, I'm sorry I have no idea why this worker for me but I hope it works for you; just give it a try at least.

whenever you get this error (until it is fixed) you just have to repeat this.

Don't know if bessel24 was the first to post this, but after reading his I tried it and woohoo, I'm killin Combine again!
Thank you very much!
This is my 8th time playin thru HL2, but I must play it whenever I get tired of playin all the wannabes and need a fix of the best there is :)

Well I had a problem when i got HL2 6 months ago and deleting Norton was the only way to get it to work. Then played without an issue. Decided to play again recently but it was absolutely fine til you jump the airboat through the dam. Then ever since it has had the damn error message regardless. I can load an auto save but the moment i try to jump through the dam or even start a new game the whole thing crashes.

I only have a basic toshiba laptop with ATi graphics card but it has been playing fine and has done so before so why is it happening now and why wont any of the fixes work? Ive not updated anything since last playing it through.

ok tried to lower the screen resolution in the game and that has caused it to crash fatally. I cant even load it now.

Try this: if you can get to the main menu, try to change any of the advance display option that make the game freeze a bit when you hit ok. After that's done, play the game. It work for me every time.

I have the same problem. Every time I start the game, I click New game, it runs fine up till the part where Dog throws Gordon and Alyx into the Citadel. You land and then go for a wild ride.. then the game ALWAYS crashes out at EXACTLY the same point every time. I have tried uninstalling AVG, updating my ATi drivers, latest DX and runtimes, using the -DXLEVEL to set it ti use DX 7,8,9.. nothing at all worked.

I have a Packard Bell laptop with a Core Duo 2.2 processor, 1 GB RAM and a ATI Radeon x200M graphics chip. Can anybody please help? Oh, and I run Vista Home Basic.

I have gone through many steps of troubleshooting with different computers getting this error, most computers have this error due to paged pool memory being too low, if you wish to try fixing it that way go through this forum, it is mentioned many times how to change the memory. Other computers will get this error because of the processor not being good enough. Some computers get this error because you are barely meeting the minimum requirements for graphics memory. The main reason (for most computers) is your paged pool memory, what my problem was, change it to the highest setting, that was my solution. If changing your paged pool memory to the highest setting doesn't work about the best advice i could offer is to try upgrading your RAM to 1GB or higher, having a processor of at least 2.2GHz and by having at least 256MB graphics memory. Other problems may be because of incompatibility of your graphics cards. Hope this advice helps, im rly soz if it dont! best of luck to all who have this problem!!!(took me 3 weeks to fix!)

I have gone through many steps of troubleshooting with different computers getting this error, most computers have this error due to paged pool memory being too low, if you wish to try fixing it that way go through this forum, it is mentioned many times how to change the memory. Other computers will get this error because of the processor not being good enough. Some computers get this error because you are barely meeting the minimum requirements for graphics memory. The main reason (for most computers) is your paged pool memory, what my problem was, change it to the highest setting, that was my solution. If changing your paged pool memory to the highest setting doesn't work about the best advice i could offer is to try upgrading your RAM to 1GB or higher, having a processor of at least 2.2GHz and by having at least 256MB graphics memory. Other problems may be because of incompatibility of your graphics cards. Hope this advice helps, im rly soz if it dont! best of luck to all who have this problem!!!(took me 3 weeks to fix!)

I doubt it's to do with peoples PC specs as I was playing for over 2 years until 6 months ago. Reinstall and then this error starts popping up. I'm above the recommended. I can't believe this has been going for 3 years. Why arn't they helping us with this?

Because its a simple driver issue, are you expecting them to install other drivers on your pc to fix the issue?

Because its a simple driver issue, are you expecting them to install other drivers on your pc to fix the issue?

TBH I'm a bit n00bish with computers but I have all the latest drivers and it still happens. And it didn't happen before. A bit of advice from them wouldn't go a miss. For every person thats posted I'm sure you could find 10 more that didn't bother.

Nevermind.

how to

i got it sorted
i downloaded the latest dx9 (DirectX End-User Runtimes (April 2006) Full Download)
but didn`t seem to work then went to steams forums and it says to disable programs like p2p and stuff like that,so i switched off these progs
thunderbird
sysmatrix
msn messenger
and there you go back to workin better than ever happy days

ok i disabled msn messenger and it worked a few min. longer but i coundnt find thunderbird and sysmatrix to disable them

please help me,
SykoKid

please help me find the sysmatrix and thunderbird to disable them

Need Help On Error Msg Internal Error In Idirect3ddevice9 Present

AHH I HAD INFO .. BUT I HAD TO LOG IN AGIAN.. SO WELL HERES SOME STUFF I JUST TOOK... DONT EVEN UNDERSTAND MOST OF IT :p

System Information
------------------

Time of this report: 7/31/2008, 13:07:39
Machine name: YOUR-4DACD0EA75
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: RJ768AA-ABA a1619h
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/26/2006 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 960MB RAM
Page File: 332MB used, 1980MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------

Card name: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5A61)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A61&SUBSYS_2A3D103C&REV_00
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6833 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/4/2008 12:23:45, 309248 bytes

UMMM YEA... IDK IF THIS WOULD HELP BUT ... YEA I UPDATED THE DRIVERS.. IT SHOWS IM SURE.. BUT I STILL GET THE ERROR MSG :INTERNAL ERROR IN IDIRECT3DDEVICE9 PRESENT

Having just 'solved' this problem on my own system, I thought I might as well share how I did it.

Firstly I went here and worked my way through the list.

Everything being seemingly fine I moved on to number 5 on that list, which took me to this page here.

To cut a very long story short, after an excessive amount of trial and error, it seems like Norton is the culprit.

The magical combination of services I had to disable are:

1) Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service

2) SmartLinkService

3) Symantec Network Drivers Service

4) Symantec SPBBCSvc

I had to do it through the System Configuration Utility, because just turning them off on the desktop didn't do the trick. If you need to know how to do that, follow the second link in this post to find out.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of having to turn off my virus protection, particularly in order to play a game that demands to be connected to the Internet. Not to mention the faff of having to restart every time you want to change the settings back and forth.

Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon, but given that this issue appears to have been ongoing for about three-and-a-half years now, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well, after all that, I tried playing HL2: Deathmatch and the ruddy thing crashed again.

All I can suggest is turning off ALL Norton/Symantec services before playing. They probably won't work properly unless they're all turned on together anyway.

It also occurs to me that the SmartLinkService isn't actually related to any Symantec product, but when I was experimenting with the different services, it seemed like it worked better with it off. Oh well, just put it down to the alchemy that is PC gaming I suppose.

one more fix that worked

Forget it for now, it's gone right back to crashing again. It may be that I should have left the DXlevel reduction turned on.

----------

Hi,

I was also frustrated by this problem. What worked for me was to install the DirectX August 2008 update. But getting the "web installer" from microsoft was not right, because it claimed I already had the latest versions and refused to do anything. Instead, I eventually got the redistributable version and that installed over, freshening the files. Note that before I did this I checked the list of files in dxdiag and deleted some from the system32 directory that were marked as "Final Debug" instead of "Final Release" (??? - might be something to do with having the DirectX SDK also installed).

So you install the redistributable. Then you might have to restart your computer to get the files in use (I did anyway). Then I ran into another problem - some of the HDR options weren't visible and HL2 Episode 1 detected my hardware (an HD 3850) as "DirectX 7" (though it's hard to see becaue that box is grey-on-grey text). If this happens to you, it might be because you tried one of the previous fixes where you fed it the "-DXlevel 70" switch. To my surprise, this switch is PERSISTENT. To get your game back to 9.0c you have to run it once with "-DXlevel 90c" and then on subsequent occasions with no switch at all.

Interestingly, this fix procedure with updating DirectX also fixed a problem I'd been having whereby PrintScreen no longer put stuff on the clipboard (yay!)

[edit] Well, it crashed once again. ALSO, PrintScreen has stopped working - that is, the crashes in the game have actually killed part of DirectX for this session. This shows as a permanent failure in dxdiag's Direct3D tests. However, I have got HL2 episode 1 running again fine by putting in -DXlevel 80 then 90 switches, then nothing at all, and it plays. Weird.

SOLVED

I tried everything for maybe 2 weeks and now I can play normally. I just did what this user said:

A) GO TO START RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER /CLICK PROPERTIES

When window open click on advanced TAB then click settings under performance section.

On the performance setting window, click on advanced TAB, and then click the Change button under the Virtual Memory section.

This will bring the page file change section up.

Recomended, if you have two HARD DISKS, or multiply partitions to put A page file in a DISK/PARTITION other than your OS. For example if Windows is installed on C:
YOU CAN CREATE A PAGE FILE ON C:\
and a page file on another DISK or partition.

This way windows will use page file on C: for debug purposes (write down error reports when an error or a blue screen occure)
and will use the page file on the other drive or partition as VIRTUAL MEMORY for all the other needs.

How to set page file:
Just put a value in the MIN. SIZE and MAX. SIZE BOX click on drive you want to create the page file then click set button.

KEEP IN MIND VALUE IN THE BOX IS IN MB (megabytes) wich means 1GB=1024 MB.

The good all arround settings is to put as minimum size a value 1.5x more than your phycical RAM and in MAX SIZE BOX a value 3x of your physical RAM.

FOR EXAMPLE: If you have 1.5GB of RAM you must put in min. size BOX a value equal too:
1.5 X 1.5 X 1024=2036

In General for MIN. SIZE BOX the value is:

RAM X1.5 X1024 where RAM is the ammount of RAM you have, and for MAX SIZE BOX the value is:
RAM X3 X 1024.

Make these changes click OK then click REBOOT to reboot your system.

After REBOOT, go to start /RUN type in there REGEDIT registry editor will open.

BE VERY CAREFULL while you use Registry Editor.

OPEN THE KEY (FOLDER) Memory Management in the path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl Set\Control\Session Manager\ Manager\Memory Management on the left pane.

You will see a list with different keys on the right pane.
Find the one with the name "PagedPoolSize" without "" and when a Window open, click on Decimal circle to check it then put a value NO BIGGER FROM 490 MB.

As you don't say what WINDOWS version you use 320MB OR 384 MB, IS ENOUGH FOR ALL WINDOWS VERSIONS.

PUT THE VALUE: 335544320 decimal (for 320 MB) OR 14000000 HEX

OR the value: 402653184 decimal (for 384MB)
or 18000000 HEX.

You must put either DEC or HEX value, what valueyou put is according what circle you checked: decimal or hexadecimal

Then click OK to apply changes.
REBOOT.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Base and developer Network and Technet articles, above steps solved most of "OS Paged Pool Memory" errors

Again WHEN YOU USE REGISTRY EDITOR use EXTREME CAUTION.

Do everything it says here and you might be OK.

I tried everything for maybe 2 weeks and now I can play normally. I just did what this user said:

A) GO TO START RIGHT CLICK ON MY COMPUTER /CLICK PROPERTIES

When window open click on advanced TAB then click settings under performance section.

On the performance setting window, click on advanced TAB, and then click the Change button under the Virtual Memory section.

This will bring the page file change section up.

Recomended, if you have two HARD DISKS, or multiply partitions to put A page file in a DISK/PARTITION other than your OS. For example if Windows is installed on C:
YOU CAN CREATE A PAGE FILE ON C:\
and a page file on another DISK or partition.

This way windows will use page file on C: for debug purposes (write down error reports when an error or a blue screen occure)
and will use the page file on the other drive or partition as VIRTUAL MEMORY for all the other needs.

How to set page file:
Just put a value in the MIN. SIZE and MAX. SIZE BOX click on drive you want to create the page file then click set button.

KEEP IN MIND VALUE IN THE BOX IS IN MB (megabytes) wich means 1GB=1024 MB.

The good all arround settings is to put as minimum size a value 1.5x more than your phycical RAM and in MAX SIZE BOX a value 3x of your physical RAM.

FOR EXAMPLE: If you have 1.5GB of RAM you must put in min. size BOX a value equal too:
1.5 X 1.5 X 1024=2036

In General for MIN. SIZE BOX the value is:

RAM X1.5 X1024 where RAM is the ammount of RAM you have, and for MAX SIZE BOX the value is:
RAM X3 X 1024.

Make these changes click OK then click REBOOT to reboot your system.

After REBOOT, go to start /RUN type in there REGEDIT registry editor will open.

BE VERY CAREFULL while you use Registry Editor.

OPEN THE KEY (FOLDER) Memory Management in the path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControl Set\Control\Session Manager\ Manager\Memory Management on the left pane.

You will see a list with different keys on the right pane.
Find the one with the name "PagedPoolSize" without "" and when a Window open, click on Decimal circle to check it then put a value NO BIGGER FROM 490 MB.

As you don't say what WINDOWS version you use 320MB OR 384 MB, IS ENOUGH FOR ALL WINDOWS VERSIONS.

PUT THE VALUE: 335544320 decimal (for 320 MB) OR 14000000 HEX

OR the value: 402653184 decimal (for 384MB)
or 18000000 HEX.

You must put either DEC or HEX value, what valueyou put is according what circle you checked: decimal or hexadecimal

Then click OK to apply changes.
REBOOT.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Base and developer Network and Technet articles, above steps solved most of "OS Paged Pool Memory" errors

Again WHEN YOU USE REGISTRY EDITOR use EXTREME CAUTION.

Do everything it says here and you might be OK.

Can anyone confirm the above post works for the error?? i dont understand the part of the tut that says..........
'The good all arround settings is to put as minimum size a value 1.5x more than your phycical RAM and in MAX SIZE BOX a value 3x of your physical RAM.

1.5 X 1.5 X 1024=2036'........
my is 896 MB so what would i put for that amount of ram?

I have the error Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9 :;Present() when i play hl2, hl2 DM, hl2 Lost Coast and the mods for it. i jus bought this computer 5/0/09 and get this error constantly. updated directx, graphics card, etc.. nothing seems to get rid of the error.
the only other game ive played is warcraft the frozen throne and that works fine.

Fix

I got the same error with Half-Life 2, running from Steam.

I tried updating the video driver. Same problem.

I tried updated directx. Same problem.

I tried lower the display settings in game. Same problem.

I tried disabling SYMANTEC ANTI-VIRUS, and now it works with no problems.

THE SOLUTION IS HERE, YAY FOR YOU GUYS

First off, LMAO at most of you...

A problem that has been going on for 4 years now and non of you have been smart enough to figure out the solution to the "Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9 :;Present()" error. My god, like really, hilarious, especially when I found the solution after I got bored of reading all the useless info here. All the stuff mentionned in the previous posts, ignore them 100%, trust me, some of the stuff said are not only risky to the computer, but totally useless and solves nothing (might buy you a few minutes of gameplay, big deal).

So you guys know, I only registered here to give you the proper solution... and to laugh at you a bit ;)

Now for the solution all you ppl been waiting for (lol, for 4 years). But first I must apolagize for making fun of you guys in advance ;)
I noticed that all the people here who mentionned their video card type all said ati crap cards. Hint number 1...
Everyone here has epdated their directX several times in many different ways and nothing changes. Hint number 2...
You all tried disabling network/internet related programs and firewalls and Symantec/Norton stuff, again, all failed for a proper solution...
You all blamed the game of a glitch it didn't have, it never had. Hint number 3...

Ok ok... I had my fun making fun of you guys...

PROPER SOLUTION THAT WORKS 100% (tried, tested, true)

It is a driver issue :O ya, that's right big surprise eh? lol ATI has proven how crappy their video cards have been for so many years, and they don't even know how to make proper drivers for them either, they're 100% pathetic, ppl who posted here are only 10% pathetic cuz they never heard of Omega drivers. Yup, that's right, the guy at Omega re-creates video card drivers for all popular video card types since some companies are too imcompatent to do it right. They re-create the drivers and you have the options add several usefull features like overclocking and performance settings for when on battery (for laptops).

Here is the link to the website, http://www.omegadrivers.net/omega_drivers.php, it is a trusted site and delivers trusted files, you can even scan it for viruses if you don't believe me. Their drivers are a lot more stable and it delivers a much nicer performance and you have the option to increase the performance at the click of a button.

PROOF

Now for ultimate proof that this works. I have a laptop with an ATI X600 video card. About 7 month ago, I had played Half Life 2 and both episodes with the Omega driver installed, played it without any issues. But then I formatted the Laptop and stupid me, installed the driver from ATI's website... I played HL2 fine, beat the game, then I moved onto Episode 1 today... got the error and could not get passed it at all. After a bit of confusion, I went here, read 3 pages of useless info and thinking omg, ppl risked all that for a game?... I then said the hell with this and tried my own problem solving and went to Omega to see if it was ATI's crap card driver issue (since it's the same issue while playing GTA SA), installed the latest driver, started playing the game, and I beat the game nonstop from start to finnish without any issues at all. Need more proof? Too bad, quit being a baby and just try my solution already... If/when you do, also turn your symantec programs and other things you might of disabled thinking it might work back on, I guarantee the game will still work even with with those on (though symantec does slow down the PC a bit, so performance may vary depending on your system)

Anyways, have fun playing, I hope the admin doesn't find my post too agressive and delete it since ppl have been waiting for this for 4 years, big deal if I laugh at their "misfortunate" luck, at least I provided the solution for them in the end. And I would get mad if some douchebag took my solution and re-wrote it claiming all credit and then having my post removed... There's no swearing and no flaming at any one person...

Try to decode into text if you wish :)
010010000110000101101100011001100010000001001100011010010110011001100101001000000011001000100000011001100110000101101110

:cheers:

That's cause no one is bothered about fixing it any more. The issue is no longer widespread.
Back when that issue was prevalent one of of suggested solutions was to use the Omega drivers. However that is not a 100% fix, Valve themselves admitted it was a fault in the Source engine.
NVIDIA cards also suffered from this.
Back when i had this problem i used the Omega drivers on my X740XL and still had that error. Valve have since released quite a few different fixes for that error and the looping sound crash and you don't see that issue any more because those fixes and new drivers have fixed the problem.
Also the "ATI crap cards" were pretty good 4 years ago.
This issue was a fault in the Source engines page pool memory management. It would run of of page pool memory which it relies heavily for it's shaders, once it ran out you got that error.

Reply to the PimpinPenguin

Do you remember Grand Theft Auto San Andreas??? That game hates ati cards, even to this day I still can't play the game without a few random crashes on this laptop and my friend can't get it to play longer then 5 minutes. That game was released in 2004, 5 years ago. ATI has always sucked, and the more games that get put out on the market, the more proof you get. The only reason why they sell is cuz for one, they're a little cheaper, second, they have the best video cards for doing graphic designs and art work. But they lack in gaming compatibility, always have, always will. And the fact that their Catalyst drivers sometimes crash computers when you install them... they only recently added the feature where if your card doesn't support it, the setup will cancel before completing the install. I only call them crap cards cuz I like my gaming, but I do believe they're good for other things.

If i remember correctly GTA San Andreas was part of Nvidia's "the way it's meant to be played" program. That would explain why the game performs worse on Ati cards because Nvidia paid Rockstar to build it for Nvidia cards and neglect Ati cards. It's not the first time this has happened, quite a few games that Nvidia sponsor though that program perform worse or look worse on Ati cards. There is nothing Ati can do about those games.
I had an Ati X740XL and it ran GTA San Andreas no problems and my HD4850 also runs it fine. The Catalyst Drivers have never crashed my PC and i bet the people it does crash don't know what the **** they are doing and are simply blaming Ati. If you want shoddy drivers then Nvidia's were absolute shit during Vistas launch and always bluescreened. Ati's have never sucked it just sounds like your laptop sucks.

omega drivers didn't work for me, it fixed it for about a minute on lost coast, and then it crashed as i was walking through the gate, when i opened it up again, some of the textures were black, and it crashed after only a few secconds

Back