Internet connection sharing not working

Unfocused

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Time for part two of my adventures with Vista (bought a laptop with Vista recently).

Until now, I had two PC's in a home network connected with a cross cable - an XP desktop which had direct access to the Internet and an XP laptop, which had access to the Internet via the desktop.

I'm planning to get a router soon to connect all three, but for the time being I wanted to have two connected at a time. But when I replace the desktop with my new Vista laptop and make it the host in the network, the XP laptop can't access the Internet. Vista laptop can see shared files from XP laptop etc. so there is a connection, but Internet sharing is not working.

I enabled internet sharing in the properties of my internet connection BTW.

Why's that happening?

BTW, when I replace the XP laptop with my Vista laptop in the network, it connects to the internet no problem, I don't even have to set anything up, just plug in the cable and it's done.

ICS may not be enabled correctly in the vista machine.

On your Vista machine go to Start -> Settings -> Network Connections.
Double-click on the network that you are using. Properties.
You should have a Networking tab and a Sharing tab. Go to the Sharing tab. There should be a check box for allowing other network users to use the connection through that machine.
That work?

On your Vista machine go to Start -> Settings -> Network Connections.
Double-click on the network that you are using. Properties.
You should have a Networking tab and a Sharing tab. Go to the Sharing tab. There should be a check box for allowing other network users to use the connection through that machine.
That work?

I had enabled it earlier myself and it doesn't work. Also, for some reason all the protocols in the advanced tab are unchecked (?). I tried checking http earlier, but that didn't work. Another thing - under the "allow other users to connect through this PC's internet connection" checkbox there's: "Home network connection:" and below a typebox (or w/e it's called - a box in which you can normally type something in, but this time not) in which there's "Wireless network connection". I don't connect via wireless, but I can't change it anywhere, or type anything else in there.

BTW, the local network is labeled "unidentified network".

Back