Ipod or Zen?

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble deciding between the two. I'm leaning very heavily towards the Creative Zen:M, but I wanted some others opinions. The thing keeping me from falling on the Zen is no itunes support, and I don't want my songs listed by filename because theyre all ****ed up. What do you guys think?

Zen is the better machine but if you use that piece of shit itunes then you better stick with Apple
You'd be better off with the Zen imo - just find an alternative to itunes, there are plenty of them

it all depends on personal prefrence the only reason i like the ipod is because of the control. i dont like that vertical touch pad thing on the zen's.

just got the creative vision:M today, liking it a lot so far... although I haven't used it much yet.

i much prefer itunes for my music and my ipod, every thing runs smoothly, could havea few better features though.

also creative has one ugly warrenty. have had customers and friends have creative tell them that they dont have their product after it was already confirmed recieved, or takes 6 months to fix. plus they charge you labour, and shipping where apple will only charge shipping after 6 months of owning it, and you usually get it back within 7 buisness days.

my friend has the zen micro m, its really nice but it all comes down to personal opinon

I've had a Zen Micro and a Zen Vision:M.

The Zen have more, do more and are just better. Tbh, the software you *almost* have to use is so shitty. I prefer to use iTunes as my music player anyway. (If you hate the software, use MediaMonkey to transfer music. Quick, and easy.)

itunes Sux big time but ipods rule big time. They could have had a simple drag and drop system straight onto the ipod but noooooo, they had to create itunes to "protect the music". Yeah like everyone that has an mp3 player gets their music legally.

Well I guess you have to take the really good with the really bad somtimes.

can i transfer my itunes library to the zen with all the correct names? or will i end up getting the filenames?

ShinRa said:
can i transfer my itunes library to the zen with all the correct names? or will i end up getting the filenames?
Filenames for the loss.

Qonny, I love iTunes also. I wish Creative had a program like that then I would be a lot happier, but I think WMP11 will help out a lot with the Zen's.

You should think about a iRiver H10,

But out of them 2 i would go Zen.

Well over 3yrs ago before there was Ipod out there, I bought myself something called "Nomad Jukebox II" that looked like a Workman's CD player, from Creative. after more than 3yrs, it still works and sound much better than my wife's Ipod, mind as well that the same audio files, recorded at 320kpbs is playing on them both. So I went back to creative and bought 20GB Jukebox Zen NX for fraction of what 20GB Ipod costs.

So Yeah, Creative has my vote on this.

the_wolf27 said:
itunes Sux big time but ipods rule big time. They could have had a simple drag and drop system straight onto the ipod but noooooo, they had to create itunes to "protect the music". Yeah like everyone that has an mp3 player gets their music legally.

hmm it seems that all my music though itunes is dragged and dropped in as well.
the only prtection it has is taking the music off the ipod.

and barney im going to have to call bullshit, i have both, and they sound the same, (same song file, no eq and same headphones and its around the same quality.) im using a pair of sennheiser pmx50's as well ,not the shitty ones that come along.

Revisedsoul said:
and barney im going to have to call bullshit, i have both, and they sound the same, (same song file, no eq and same headphones and its around the same quality.) im using a pair of sennheiser pmx50's as well ,not the shitty ones that come along.

Fikin lol.......Quit converting me. They do too, and Ipod suxs, we both know that. :p :p :p bullshit/push-shit Creative is got my wallet.

I hate the software for my Zen Micro (Media Explorer, or whatever it's called). I've re-installed the damn thing about 5 times, and half the time it still doesn't work. That's my biggest complaint about my Zen Micro... the software is utter shit.

Go for the Zen. It is better technically and that is what we all want isn't it? :E

I have the Zen Vision M. Its pretty much a no brainer if your comparing the ipod video and the Vision M. When watching video the Vision M's batter lasts twice as long (about 4 hrs) whereas the Ipod video is around 2. Which isnt enought to watch many feature length films.

I have had zero problems with the software, although I dont use Itunes, I use musicmatch.

Compared to the iPod Video, Creative's Zen Vision:M is better in many ways.

Six times the amount of colors in the screen.
Twice the battery life during video playback.
Sexier.
More "Oo, what's that?" comments. (Almost always follow by a /showoff.)

The Vision:M is a bit thicker, though. Still amasingly small for its capabilities.

Qonfused said:
More "Oo, what's that?" comments. (Almost always follow by a /showoff.)
Normally this comment is followed by, "Is that the new iPod?"

That annoys me. You know what an iPod looks like. It has been the same design for years. Do you really need to ask if thats an iPod? Especially when it says CREATIVE! ****ing morons.

Barney Fife said:
Fikin lol.......Quit converting me. They do too, and Ipod suxs, we both know that. :p :p :p bullshit/push-shit Creative is got my wallet.

you must join the white side. :p
not try to push ipod, just trying to push away from creative.

I've got a creative zen micro 6GB.

It was great, updating the firmware however was the biggest mistake i've ever made. None of the creative software worked, I had to download about 7 patches and programs and drivers, and its ****ing crazy. Windows media player rapes it every time I put it in. Everytime I try and sync it it ****s it up and I have like 3 copies of eveyr track. Its now in ****ing crazy folders and I ****ing hate it. Its an awesome music player, but getting songs onto it is a ****ing nightmare.

I think I'm going to delete every ****ing trace of creative off my PC, spend an hour downgrading the firmware so windows media player can't touch it. Oh btw with the latest firmware you can browse it's songs, but can't play them, you have to copy them onto your ****ing harddrive to do that.

I'm gonna delet every ****ing song of my zen, as I now have about 3 coipies of each ****ing song, no idea how that happened. And I'm going to get all my CD's and put the ****ing songs on like that and MANUALLY TYPE IN THE ****ING SONG INFO, becuase if it doesn't have say the album name, IT DOESNT SHOW UP. You go on say :R.E.M and it's just blank it doesn't show any albums. So you have to press play on R.E.M and blindly play every track they've got ITS JUST SO ANNOYING.

Ye, get a ****ing I-Pod.

I've got a creative vision M and my housemate has the ipod video, he has to convert all his music and video to play it on the player... i dont. I win!
It's great for watching south park or anything on it, and awesome music.

I'd get a Zen. You can play more types of files, and also, at the time my 30GB Zen cost as much as a 10GB iPod... way more value for money.

Also, sometimes Creative release now software for it which can give you a nice new GUI.

I have a question...
Is Creative MTP or UMS or both?
UMS means that when you plug it into your computer it basically recognizing it has a Flash Drive and you can add files to it.
MTP means that you have to use something like WMP and sync it and add files through it. They sometimes have a fake(Very Slow) ums mode.

I have a H10, I had to oringally Sync mine and it also had a fake ums mode. Of course the amaizng community then found a way to convert the MTP one into the UMS one. I prefer just being able to load up the folder and use copy and paste.

Its UMS. But its shit. Half the songs are in folders, half arn't.

I ****ing hate it.
Its a great machine, but all the software and such are shit... complete shit.

Minerel said:
I have a question...
Is Creative MTP or UMS or both?
UMS means that when you plug it into your computer it basically recognizing it has a Flash Drive and you can add files to it.
MTP means that you have to use something like WMP and sync it and add files through it. They sometimes have a fake(Very Slow) ums mode.

I have a H10, I had to oringally Sync mine and it also had a fake ums mode. Of course the amaizng community then found a way to convert the MTP one into the UMS one. I prefer just being able to load up the folder and use copy and paste.

I think nativly it is MTP but you can set up a portion of the HD to be UMS (never heard of thoes acronymns)

Its UMS. But its shit. Half the songs are in folders, half arn't.

I ****ing hate it.
Its a great machine, but all the software and such are shit... complete shit.
Why not move all the songs into folders...

I think nativly it is MTP but you can set up a portion of the HD to be UMS (never heard of thoes acronymns)
UMS = USB Mass Storage
MTP = Media Transfer Protocol

Well as long as it has UMS im happy. That means it'll work with my Linux to. I'm thinkin about pickin one of these up. Gonna miss my IRiver H10 though. Lots of community support right there. I converted my MTP to UMS and then there is a program called EasyH10 that automatically writes the database files and everything. Very neat. 394 songs right now ~ 1.57gigs.

the_wolf27 said:

You can put illegal music on your ipod... easily, even through itunes. It's called importing music to your library. And really, it's not that big of a pain.

*sigh* Doesn't anyone use boom-boxes anymore!?!

lol, today I got a couple of "oohh, what is that?" :p

should another generation be coming out soon? like should i hold off a month or two to see whether or not to get something now?

Solaris said:
Yes.
It's a bitch to do though.

it's not that hard really

just add all the music you want on your playlist to the selected thing and then press the menu button and say "save as playlist"

StardogChampion said:
I'd get a Zen. You can play more types of files, and also, at the time my 30GB Zen cost as much as a 10GB iPod... way more value for money.

Also, sometimes Creative release now software for it which can give you a nice new GUI.
no such thing as a 10gb ipod

should another generation be coming out soon? like should i hold off a month or two to see whether or not to get something now?

:(

there probably will eventually, but I think it's good enough now not to wait 4 months or however long it is till the next one.

Back