Irc?

pvtlon

Reaction score
Some of these forums update so quickly they are chat-like. How about putting in an IRC page?

pvtlon said:
Some of these forums update so quickly they are chat-like. How about putting in an IRC page?
Oh that quick message thing I've seen on a few sites?

hmm dunno, best asking SM or Munro. I'm 50/50 on the idea.

If you mean actual IRC channel, we've got one. And I've already mentioned the idea of a java gateway but I don't remember what the answer was.

I'm talking about the java gateway. I think it'd be a good idea. Nothing I feel so passionately about to pursue or anything. Just think it'd be a good alternative to rapid forum posts.

pvtlon said:
I'm talking about the java gateway. I think it'd be a good idea. Nothing I feel so passionately about to pursue or anything. Just think it'd be a good alternative to rapid forum posts.
Why not just use an IRC client? They're much better - allow more functionality, customizations etc.

A Java/CGI gateway would put strain on the server, and we'd have trouble getting quakenet to give us a trust. If we dont get a trust, we'd be limited to 10 connections at once.

Add to that the fact that it's insecure - anyone can use our gateway to cause trouble and we'd be the ones who would take the blame.

Basically, just use an irc client, and if you're having trouble getting through firewalls at work, use an http tunnel or bounce through somewhere :)

the addition of a java irc client on this website would mean the introduction of more complete NOOBS than you have ever seen your life. EVER. and you're all part of a halflife community, so that says a lot :p

the last thing quakenet needs, is more accessbility. it used to be perfect 6/7 years ago when it was relatively unheard of. but these days any measures possible to be taken to hinder the addition of people on the server is welcomed by me tbh

Back