Is half-life 2 at par with Doom3 and farcry...graphically?

Reaction score
Do you guys think hl2 is at par with doom 3 and Farcry graphically..i think tht hl2 is the same as farcry but doom 3 is the most superior, but i still would like to get hl2 more because of the better mp. :afro:

Use search, this has been discussed like 12134141212412 times already. :sniper:

no, but i like the style/level-design and dx9 usage way better.

I think half life2 is more about character interaction and gameplay, doom3 had nice graphics.. but fuq, it was boring after a while.. ex: walk, scary sound, monster jumps out.. hold down fire button.. reached boss, hold down fire button...

Hl2 may not have as good a quality of graphics, but its not all in a little compact hallway with no light.. My personal preference is always gameplay, after that everything else is bonus.

Plus the graphics are good enough to immerse you into the game.

I don't like D3's graphical style, so I'd say HL2.

(I'm not saying that D3 is bad.)

Seriously though, it totally is. I had a chance to play a week ago and while it's a different kind of pretty, it's very pretty none the less.

Jared

eat-fresh, sweet. can you discribe what you played in detail? did you make any post on it?

I will. I signed an NDA while I was there though, and I can't talk specifics, but I can give impressions and such. I've been really busy with work and my brother's wedding is this weekend, so don't expect the article until the middle of next week, but it will get done.

Jared

ok. ill probably watch the footage on g4 anyways(friday g4 is showing hl2 footage of gephoriak,7;30 est)

We really, really don't know which is graphically superior until they are both on the shelves.

I like Hl2's and Doom 3's style way more than Far Cry. But of the 3, HL2 will certainly run the fastest and will probably be way better gameplay wise.

From what I have seen Doom3's graphics are definatly more demanding on a computer due to the detail. But I never had my mouth hanging open while watching a Doom3 video as I did HL2, which isn't a testament to HL2 graphics as just the total package of the product.

iamaelephant said:
We really, really don't know which is graphically superior until they are both on the shelves.

I agree.

Although, I know your hate for HL2 is just because it isn't on the shelf, but at least it's refreshing to see that you for once haven't posted something negative on HL2 because it hasn't released.

*draws breath after saying such a long line

I think of hl2 like pizza, it can look good sometimes, but it always tastes good. D3 is like those stingy appetizers that uber rich people eat, it looks good, but they taste bad, and theres not much to them.

Ok... could we now lock this or we have another of these "Which has better graphs?!!!111++" Threads poisoning the forums?

genocide604 said:
I think half life2 is more about character interaction and gameplay, doom3 had nice graphics.. but fuq, it was boring after a while.. ex: walk, scary sound, monster jumps out.. hold down fire button.. reached boss, hold down fire button...

Hl2 may not have as good a quality of graphics, but its not all in a little compact hallway with no light.. My personal preference is always gameplay, after that everything else is bonus.

Plus the graphics are good enough to immerse you into the game.
Even though he likes to talk about horse anatomy, this is right on the head. HL1 was all about the game experience, involving the player. I wont flame D3 cuz I like the series but it is all about run, shoot, repeat. Serious Sam did this but made it comical and insanely fun.

Lets not compare different gaming experiences and just enjoy them for what they present and what they are.

Krynn72 said:
I think of hl2 like pizza, it can look good sometimes, but it always tastes good. D3 is like those stingy appetizers that uber rich people eat, it looks good, but they taste bad, and theres not much to them.

Right you are, Krynn.

doom3's artstyle makes it look like your playing full motion video, half-life2 looks like a game, far cry is farther from both of them graphically....imo

how can you possibly say farcry is a 'distant third' its a absolutely beautiful game in places, and is a better game than doom3.

blahblahblah said:
I think HL2 and Doom 3 are tied for first and Far Cry is in a distant 3rd.

I agree.

Id and valve are ARTISTS....not some bloody engineers from Crytek.

The monster design in D3 is superior.

The style/character design in HL2 is superior.

Both games are good in their own right. Far cry on the other hand....meh...

Dr0ndeh said:
how can you possibly say farcry is a 'distant third' its a absolutely beautiful game in places, and is a better game than doom3.

Gameplay wise. We're are talking about the graphics, according to this thread.

Far Cry's incredible view distance, and lush jungle island style are incredible. They may not match Doom3 (and HL2 when it comes out) in every aspect, but overall, it's a gorgeous game on par with either.

Doom 3 and Far Cry's graphics and textures are > HL2's. I feel HL2's redeeming value will be the gameplay and physics system and AI however. Doom 3 is kind of "bleh" when it comes to how the AI acts, however the visuals blow anything I've seen from HL2's away.

Dr0ndeh said:

Take a look at the human characters in Far Cry. They look like they are made of plastic. Doom 3 doesn't have that problem. Neither does HL2.

Far Cry doesn't have multiple shadows. It may seem like a little thing, but when you notice it in Doom 3, it makes your jaw drop.

Far Cry also has horrible character animations and expressions. Both Doom 3 (enemy animations) and HL2 (NPC facial expressions) excel at this. Far Cry has nothing like it.

The glass distortion effect in Doom 3. Far Cry can't even touch that (even with its heat haze effect). HL2 can, look at kleiners lab video.

blahblahblah said:
Take a look at the human characters in Far Cry. They look like they are made of plastic. Doom 3 doesn't have that problem. Neither does HL2.

farcry is set on a tropical island, its very hot there so they are sweating, this effect is done on purpose. if you look at the scientists/enemies in the later indoor levels you'll see that they dont have the 'shineyness' to their skin.

blahblahblah said:
Far Cry doesn't have multiple shadows. It may seem like a little thing, but when you notice it in Doom 3, it makes your jaw drop.

not hugely important in farcry as for the most part its set outdoors, although yes the lighting system isnt as advanced as doom3, but the lighting is obviously alot more important to the whole gameplay mechanics in doom3. you could say against the doom3 engine that it does landscape and outdoor scenes badly, but thats not what doom3 is about, so it doesnt matter.

blahblahblah said:
Far Cry also has horrible character animations and expressions. Both Doom 3 (enemy animations) and HL2 (NPC facial expressions) excel at this. Far Cry has nothing like it.

once again, there is alot less human interaction in farcry. yes doom3 does it better, but i'd hardly describe the animations in farcry as 'horrible' they have proper lipsync, just less facial movement.

blahblahblah said:
The glass distortion effect in Doom 3. Far Cry can't even touch that (even with its heat haze effect). HL2 can, look at kleiners lab video.

farcry does it easily as well, the heat haze is better imo, especially on the later stages with all the lava in FC. it also does lots of other light distortion effects, especially in the later laboratory levels, although yes not as advanced as the magnifying glass in klieners lab, that really does look fantastic, and i cant wait to see if similar effects are used on a larger scale in hl2.

to wrap up, i dont think youre giving farcry the praise it deserves. its a very advanced engine that does some things better than hl2/doom3, and some things worse. all 3 engines have their engine strongpoints because of the gameplay styles, for example

hl2 - fantastic facial animations, there is alot of human interaction in this game
doom3 - fantastic lighting effects, the whole gameplay revolves around the darkness, and the lighting engine adds to the atomosphere amazingly
farcry - landscapes, a huge portion of the game takes place on massive outdoor levels, which look amazing.

True, but I've seen some nasty pizzas. I suppose the only way HL2 will be looking nasty is if I try to install it on my Intel Celeron machine (of 6 years). Good ol' shiny P4.

BUT, quoted for truth.

BTW, [edit]FarCry [/edit: I said HL2 for some reason...] is the only game where I could play with shadows on and not get huge framerate hits. You know when you're crouching under the canopy in the jungle, and you can see the shadows moving across your M4? That amazed me... I wish every game did shadows that way.

But then again, turning the shadows off in D3 didn't do anything BECAUSE IT WAS TOO DARK TO FRIGGIN SEE THE GROUND. Oh look, something shiny OH MY GOD RUN AWAY AHHH [dead]
Yeah. That game scares me :(

blahblahblah said:

Also if I might add :) source engine is capable of multiple shadows - as seen in Vampire the masquerade (bloodlines), although of course, not as good as D3's.

There's also another cool glass distortion effect in HL2, seen in the apartment's video when Gordon opens the door. Let alone touch it - I'm betting Crytek never thought there is such a thing as glass distortion effect, heh.

bullshit doom 3 has better graphics.
doom 3 consists of low res texture maps and lots of bump and gloss mapping.
no real physics, no shaders.

hl2 has : an engine built on physics, anything can have a mass, gravity whatever.
lots of dx9 shaders, real light and shadows. real ai, a good story.

in fact doom 3 lacked everything hl2 excels in.
thats not to say it wasnt a good game, but everything technical about hl2 is better except i think doom 3 can have more advanced models.

coax said:
bullshit doom 3 has better graphics.
doom 3 consists of low res texture maps and lots of bump and gloss mapping.
no real physics, no shaders.

hl2 has : an engine built on physics, anything can have a mass, gravity whatever.
lots of dx9 shaders, real light and shadows. real ai, a good story.

in fact doom 3 lacked everything hl2 excels in.
thats not to say it wasnt a good game, but everything technical about hl2 is better except i think doom 3 can have more advanced models.

From a technical standpoint - D3's unified lighting/shadowing system literally pwns source. But, source has other great things going on - like the water tech, material system (D3 had little to no decals/destructible environment), HDR, that more than compensate.

Also, normal/bump mapping is possible in source, duh. Although they don't use it to that extent as in D3, due to scalability issues.

If you played Doom 3 at Ultra High, and HL2 and whatever the highest is, I think you'd agree that Doom 3 looks prettier, and HL2 plays much, much better.

Oh yeah the graphics rule in doom 3. Here's an example:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/469881_20040804_screen003.jpg

let's examine this shot. There are: shadows, some more shadows, even more shadows, and a 1 demon.

What's the point of good graphics if you can only see 30% of them...
Check out some more shadow action here:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/469881_20040804_screen008.jpg

Simply amazing. Those are the best shadows I've ever seen.

http://www.halflife2.net/news//1091691339_HL2-airboat2.jpg

The above hl2 shot looks much better than doom3 imo. At least you can actually SEE what the hell is around you instead of damn shadows.

Yea I bet Doom 3 would have been so much better if the place was well lit everywhere. They should've chucked in some cosy elevator music too.

Oh, and removed all those irritating monsters, what the hell were they supposed to be there for anyway? ;)

vetebulle said:
Yea I bet Doom 3 would have been so much better if the place was well lit everywhere. They should've chucked in some cosy elevator music too.

Oh, and removed all those irritating monsters, what the hell were they supposed to be there for anyway? ;)

Oh, that sounds awesome. Someone mod this right away. :naughty:

Currently, nothing looks better than Doom 3. That said, Half-Life 2 still looks great, at least on par with Far Cry.

Kiva128 said:
Oh yeah the graphics rule in doom 3. Here's an example:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/469881_20040804_screen003.jpg

let's examine this shot. There are: shadows, some more shadows, even more shadows, and a 1 demon.

What's the point of good graphics if you can only see 30% of them...
Check out some more shadow action here:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/469881_20040804_screen008.jpg

Simply amazing. Those are the best shadows I've ever seen.

http://www.halflife2.net/news//1091691339_HL2-airboat2.jpg

The above hl2 shot looks much better than doom3 imo. At least you can actually SEE what the hell is around you instead of damn shadows.

Wow, was that biased? I couldn't tell.

The anti aliasing in Doom 3 is fabulous with x800. Half life 2 will look gorgeous but not as good as Doom 3.

Just think if Half Life 2 was released on its original date. They would have been considered revolutionary. Even though The game will still be revolutionary.

And I dont get why people keep ragging on Doom about how dark it is. It is supposed to be scary. When a little boy is havng nightmares he doesn't ask for you to turn out the lights to help him get to sleep. He wants light on cause it is comforting. The game is aimed at scaring you. That's why it is dark. capish?

Back