Is half life source all that different?

D

dj v

hi, does half life source have improved models ?

and is it much diffeernt from the first

it uses the Blue Shift models

see the one pic we have

It doesn't use the Blue Shift models.

You get reflection maps, physics, and lighting.

is that all? i thought it was half life redone in the source engine? and half life source is the end result. shame on you VALVe, shame on you.

it doesnt use blueshift models.. the blueshift models are the high definition pack

Mattigus said:
It doesn't use the Blue Shift models.

You get reflection maps, physics, and lighting.
You also finally get a simple way to skip the intro, which I think is great lol

half life source sucks, the whole time you're playing it you're thinking "**** this would be so much better if they could just update the models etc etc" seriously guys come on, they already have a new crowbar model, new headcrabs, etc etc, why the hell not just toss them in there? pisses me off.

Wraith said:
half life source sucks, the whole time you're playing it you're thinking "**** this would be so much better if they could just update the models etc etc" seriously guys come on, they already have a new crowbar model, new headcrabs, etc etc, why the hell not just toss them in there? pisses me off.

Half-Life was a classic. It would be stupid to screw around with the formula that made it so good. When i they replaced the original with the models from blue shift, it didn't have that same half-life feel. I think valve thought this too, and left it the way it is.

Also, I'm having a blast with it. They updated a lot of the sounds, and they sound much more crisp than the original. The lighting imporvements are great, as well.

The rocket effects from the helicopters are much better, and the skyboxes are 3D too.

If you're disappointed, just wait a few weeks for a remake mod. :p

Does anyone know where the models for source are stored? I got a high def pack (unofficial) for steam, but I don't know where to place the mdl files for the source version.

Yeah, it was disappointing when you walk into a table or something for the first time and it doesn't react. I'd be happy with it if I hadn't just played HL again shortly before the Source version was released. Still, some moments look / play different enough to be amusing (see screenshot), although I'm sure the novelty will wear off before I'm finished.

Attachments

• headcrabstew.jpg
    headcrabstew.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 574
If only the NPC/enemy models were updated...then HL:S would really be cool.. I am going to wait for a mod before playing this.

Has there been an official list of things changed? I've just been playing a bit more, and I'm sure there have been alterations made to the gameplay itself. Marines now target barnacles, and I'm sure the mp5 fires in a tighter spread than it used to. I think marines have also been made weaker, but that may just be related to the new mp5. They also seem to move and fire faster - on Hard, anyway.

Buveed said:
Half-Life was a classic. It would be stupid to screw around with the formula that made it so good. When i they replaced the original with the models from blue shift, it didn't have that same half-life feel. I think valve thought this too, and left it the way it is.

Also, I'm having a blast with it. They updated a lot of the sounds, and they sound much more crisp than the original. The lighting imporvements are great, as well.

there is still the origional half-life to play if you want to not change the formula. HL:S changes it anyway, so why not go all out on it anyway? traditionalists can play their un-touched HL. and those who want a full upgrade can play HL:S

It's a lot harder than I remember Half-Life being.

Remake Mod? Ooh! Ooh! Where?

Mechagodzilla said:
The rocket effects from the helicopters are much better, and the skyboxes are 3D too.

Mechagodzilla, have there peen any reports of this? That would be so awesome if a remake is released.

If you have any links to news regarding this, please share!

Thanks

E71 said:
Mechagodzilla, have there peen any reports of this? That would be so awesome if a remake is released.

If you have any links to news regarding this, please share!

Thanks

A few weeks? You all should be happy if we pull it off in one year!!!

> www.blackmesasource.com !!!!

Mechagodzilla said:

A few weeks?

I'd say at least a year for a decent remake, probably 2 or more years actually.

EDIT: Haha, just saw the post above this one. Sorry.

DarkStar said:
A few weeks?

I'd say at least a year for a decent remake, probably 2 or more years actually.

EDIT: Haha, just saw the post above this one. Sorry.

It's ok.... I think 2 years at minimum is an even better guess :)

Back