Is Half-Life Source worth it?

If you have played the original before, it's not worth it, I'd say, but since you haven't, go ahead.

If you have played the original one already, dont buy/download it. Tried it myself and it wasn't so really different from the original one. It only has some of the new special effects from Half-Life 2.

Wait until Black Mesa Source, which only needs Half Life 2 to play it.. that will be the real Source'd' Half Life..

As they said, if you played the origional, it isn't worth it.

Half Life: Source is included with Steam Silver and Gold packages, therefore, you'd have to buy one of those before you could play HL:S.

If you have retail Half Life (not the Collectors Edition), you'll only be able to get Counter-Strike: Source and Half Life 2 Death Match. As yet, Valve don't have an option to just purchase HL:S.

However, if you bought Steam Bronze, you may be able to upgrade to Silver or Gold in order to get HL:S.

Without knowing which version of Half Life 2 you have, it's impossible to say.

You most definitely should have played the original... it's a shame you missed that. HL is a damn good game even now. I recommend you play it. For that, you have two options. Buy the original HL + expansions in a Half-Life Platinum Pack, or buy a Silver package off Steam, which will give you HL Source and another copy of HL2/CSS.

Gameplay wise, HL and HL:Source are pretty much the same. HL:S is slightly less buggy, has decent lighting and beautiful water. It still looks like a 1998 game for the most part, though.

But again, I recommend you do play HL. If I were you, I'd probably go with buying the original HL, not Source, as you can also play expansions for it...

Solver said:
I recommend you do play HL. If I were you, I'd probably go with buying the original HL, not Source, as you can also play expansions for it...
quoted for emphasis :)

I also heard that AI for marines has been improved in HLS, that might be a reason to get it too.

the ai is much ,better as is the game in general

Its got some good 3D skyboxes as well

Actually since you have bought HL2 you should be able to just activate the origional Half-Life from the steam menu and download the whole game (for free!1!) :D Go go go! I insist!!!!

!!

!!!!!! !

i think HL1 left a bigger mark on me seven years ago than HL2 did today. people do not realise it today but it was the biggest advancement in a genre of game in only one step the industry had ever seen. the first time playing day one will stay with me my whole life :)

AFAIK, every buying option that gives you HL:Source also gives you the original. So there's no need to worry about not being able to play the expansions and mods.

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
Actually since you have bought HL2 you should be able to just activate the origional Half-Life from the steam menu and download the whole game (for free!1!) :D Go go go! I insist!!!!

!!

!!!!!! !

Errrrrrr... how?
I'm pretty sure I'll need to buy it.

Btw, I guess I have HL2 Bronze - comes with HL2 and CS:S only. Just the regular box you find the in the store.

Half-Life Source benefits from some of the programming changes in Half-Life 2, but not much visually has changed. As said above, there are some new special effects, but the game still looks mostly the same. I would still just buy Half-Life 2 and Half-Life separately. Go to Gamestop or something and buy the pack that has Half-Life, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force (or something like that). It's a great value, and you get all that 1998 goodness :)

Æther said:
Half-Life Source benefits from some of the programming changes in Half-Life 2, but not much visually has changed. As said above, there are some new special effects, but the game still looks mostly the same. I would still just buy Half-Life 2 and Half-Life separately. Go to Gamestop or something and buy the pack that has Half-Life, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force (or something like that). It's a great value, and you get all that 1998 goodness :)

I may, thanks.

On the other hand, I have a mod to make, and I'll NEVER get around to playing it :angel:

Dario D. said:
Is it?

I want to buy it off Steam (I've never played the original), but apparently when I go to buy it, it doesn't let me... Just goes the regular Half-Life *2* buy page.

http://www.deefrag.com/images/Posts/Misc/hlsource_steam1.JPG

Anyway, is it much better than the original? And is it a good game, worth playing (even today)?

Just get Hl platinum pack it comes with Cs 1.6 and all the other official HL mods HL source is a STEAMing pile of crap for all the hype they put into it if u want a better version of HL wait for BM:S to come out.

HL:S is kinda worth it if you download the enhanced texture and model packs. (google is your friend)

there's a way to get past that though, the Steam buying thing so if you bought Bronze, you can get Silver or Gold...but you still pay full price for either. Just go to steampowered.com and click "Purchase with Steam Installed" or w/e. I never tried it,but I don't see why it wouldnt work.

Back