Is hl2 really worthy of the game of the year award?

D

Duhard

jesus...don't get me wrong guys but the terrible ai just killed all the fun for me...holding soda cans makes you invincible, the game was mostly a physics show off with only a few scenes really worth my time...and all those bugs...damn.

well?

yes, it was worthy.

holding a soda can deflected whatever fire hit the can and not you, nothing more. i loved the story, the gameplay, and the game design (bloody brilliant).

bliink said:
amen!

"Also dont forget Gordon's incredible crowbar skills. He can ****ing throw that thing like Xena Warrio Princess and have it bounce off walls, smash a guy in the face, then catch it with HIS ASS. WHO ELSE CAN DO THAT?... NO ONE."

genius

Actually the AI is quite good. Ai does not include how accurate\damage they do\are, that can be done with tweaking.

yep, HL2 had excellent AI in my opinion. Something about my squad beating a fighting retreat with me, hugging cover and taking advantage of lulls in the fire to get to the next safe spot, running backwards and firing... was just great.

plus the feeling I got in the game, especially in the return to the city area, a feeling of revolution and uprising, was simply orgasmic.

Well, it is an easy game, if you put it on hard its still fairly easy but not so much that it wasn't fun for me. I don't know about the soda cans. The physics, facial animations, and in-game sequences are enough to make me say that the HL2 is game of the year, IMO. I never had problems with the game in terms of bugs and think that it was kinda messed up that so many did. And the steam thing (basically having to have a internet connection to play) well everyone should have internet by now anyway.

So I'm not gonna say your wrong or right its a matter of opinion and I feel that this is game of the year.

Hmm...we don't get many genuine 1-post trolls around here, but let me be the first to say.....troooollllll.

PickledGecko said:
What game do you suggest should be?
HOLA 2 CUZ IT HSA DUEL WELDING ADN ES G8 :sniper: :sniper: :dozey: :dozey: :afro: :naughty: :naughty: :afro: :smoking: ;) SMILEYZ PWN

half life 2 is more worthy for the game of the year title then ANY other game, and if ya don't like hl2, wait for the freakin mods! they will kick ASS! like svencoop2 or dystopia.
of course hl2 aint perfect, but it is better then anything i've seen. (hl1 kicked ass to, and i aint talking bout the mods, when i had hl1 i didnt even no there was mods, i just played single player over and over and it never lost its apeal to play it again, i still miss it)

Duhard said:
jesus...don't get me wrong guys but the terrible ai just killed all the fun for me...holding soda cans makes you invincible, the game was mostly a physics show off with only a few scenes really worth my time...and all those bugs...damn.

well?
What games did you enjoy more than half-life 2?

It's silly to make a thread like this and offer no opinion on what should have got game of the year.

Would you still think the AI is crap if you knew that

-The only scripted parts of the helicopter are it's appearance. The rest is 100% pure AI
-The gunships are all unscripted, and some if its behaviour, including firing at incoming rockets, was not explicitly put in and actually surprised the devs when they saw that behaviour
-The AI is fully aware of all physical objects, and is able to react to moving objects it sees in its FOV in a proper way, including dodging out of the way of some things to avoid damage and also take cover behind 'physprops'
-The AI is able to evaluate multiple paths to a some destination (e.g. YOU) and choose them wisely. For example, you shoot at some enemies in a house, they decide that way is no good, and end up going in through another door.
-That that is the tip of the iceberg in regards to the sheer complexity behind the AI

?

RomeoJGuy said:
Firing at rockets was an intentional behavior.

Actually if you'd read 'Raising the Bar' you'd know that during testing the devs found that the gunships considered the rockets "a more interesting target" than Gordon, and subsequently developed that aspect of their behavior into the game of cat and mouse that made it into the final product.

WELL I SAY **** THE GUYS THAT THINK THE GAME IS CRAP, I LOVE IT! I remember getting it first (this was hl1) and the grapics where not bad but it had a ****ing brill story line, plus when i heard about hl2 I WAS OVER THE ****ING MOON STRAPPED TO THAT COW!!!

I came home one lunch to find hl2 at the table, it's scary but IT KICKS THE S*IT OUT OF ANY GAME I'VE PLAYED!!!!!11111
------------------------------------------------
Thats Why i'm making a MOD, for all i know i'm probably the biggest fan!!!! ???? ? ? lol
i'm over reacting now.!

Apparently, Source AI judges to shoot you depening on whether or not you can see them, oh noes the entire AI is teh suck!

HL2 doesn't give many opportunities for the AI to really shine, but when it does, it's really good. For example in the warehouse scene, in the level after Ravenholm (d1_town_05 or something), the AI is very tactical if you just observe them fighting the rebels. It's a really impressive fight to watch. Unfortunately, the rebel team is invulnerable, so the Combine can never win it. The problem is that the Combine do too little damage and are crosseyed and wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn. This makes it easy for the player to just walk up to them and double shotty 'em in the head. But playing defensive pays off.

And yes, HL2 is definitely worthy of GOTY, it only let me down a bit on the amount of physics puzzles (I'd like to have seen more, like that blue barrels puzzle) and the overall difficulty (hard is more like medium) but all in all, it met my expectations.

You could argue that WoW is a worthy contender too, but that didn't release in 2004 for Europe, so it'll be GOTY 2005.

Because...yea. It was their opinion. You don't have to agree with them or anybody else on these forums.

Wow I just joined this forum and I like it a LOT better than PlanetHalfLife or any others. People here actually ENJOY the game rather than ripping it to shreds.

I can't say whether or not it's GOTY (I'm only at the end of the airboat level), but so far it kicks ass.

Ezmartini said:
Wow I just joined this forum and I like it a LOT better than PlanetHalfLife or any others. People here actually ENJOY the game rather than ripping it to shreds.
What's up!

Oh and yes it's worthy of GOTY. Infact it has a big chance to be my 2005 GOTY too (HL2 or other games on source). =p
WoW is the only thing that comes close so far.
Although there is BF2 and GTA:SA for PC that I'm looking forward to...

Well, the question is only really answered by whether it was the best game of last year.
I was very underwhelmed by HL2. I only finished the game because I kept expecting something amazing to happen, and so kept going, only to ultimately be disappointed when the ending came - and it came very quickly, as well.
I enjoyed Far Cry more. It was far more challenging, so getting through it felt more of an achievement. Sure there were some sucky aspects, but these were minor flaws in an overall diamond, compared to the general meh-ness I felt with HL2.

HL2 is awesome. It's fair enough if people didn't enjoy it as much as they were expecting, but it really beats me what they want that it doesn't deliver.

Apparently, Source AI judges to shoot you depening on whether or not you can see them, oh noes the entire AI is teh suck!

Hmm, that sounds strange...I swear was shot loads of times without knowing or seeing where the enemy were.

Maybe I'm not understanding...do you mean it's based on lines of sight? IMO that makes sense...I mean, if it's impossible for you to see them, then it means they can't see you either, so they shouldn't be thinking about attacking you anyway...right? But I'm not a coder and so don't know shit.

I say a tie between doom 3 and hl2...

I loved doom 3 because it actually made me jump in my seat. Fantastic rush if you ask me..
I like half life 2 because it puts you inside a fantastical world. which really lets you get into it.

both great games... two bad they couldn't have a tie.

Laivasse said:
HL2 is awesome. It's fair enough if people didn't enjoy it as much as they were expecting, but it really beats me what they want that it doesn't deliver.

Well, I don't intend to get in a pissing contest and I respect your opinion, but seeing as you 'asked' :
-It's too linear, there's rarely any real choice about how to achieve objectives - and the objective always seems to be to get from A to B...
-Lack of challenge
-What effort you do put in don't feel rewarded at the end, because you don't actually know what has happened
-Uninnovative weapons, especially compared to HL1 (excepting the grav gun of course)
-Technical hitches - the stuttering after loading, the "cannot read from memory" to-desktop crash - no other new game I've played in the last year have had such commonly-experienced bugs that still haven't been fixed five months after release

I'm not gonna argue with any flaming in response to what I've said here, as I've only mentioned them because someone was curious...

Ennui said:
amen!

"Also dont forget Gordon's incredible crowbar skills. He can ****ing throw that thing like Xena Warrio Princess and have it bounce off walls, smash a guy in the face, then catch it with HIS ASS. WHO ELSE CAN DO THAT?... NO ONE."

genius
hehe u posted that before still funny :D

u should see their forum

pomegranate said:
Well, I don't intend to get in a pissing contest and I respect your opinion, but seeing as you 'asked' :
-It's too linear, there's rarely any real choice about how to achieve objectives - and the objective always seems to be to get from A to B... Since when is linearity a measurement for quality? A non-linear game does not automatically equal a better game. What did you expect? Grand Half-Life: City 17?
-Lack of challenge Somewhat agreed, it's not the hardest game by any standard, but that hasn't ever stopped me having fun with any game.
-What effort you do put in don't feel rewarded at the end, because you don't actually know what has happened I'm well aware of what happened and what it all meant, and the ending was fitting for a HL game. Maybe it's taste.
-Uninnovative weapons, especially compared to HL1 (excepting the grav gun of course) Dunno what was innovative about HL's weapons, they had all been done before (maybe except the gauss gun with bouncing rays, and ofcourse snarks). HL1 had more weapons, but they weren't all functional useful weapons. I used every weapon in HL2 throughout the whole game.
-Technical hitches - the stuttering after loading, the "cannot read from memory" to-desktop crash - no other new game I've played in the last year have had such commonly-experienced bugs that still haven't been fixed five months after releaseCan't say I've experienced much bugs besides the annoying redundant cache file checking (which was done by Steam, not HL2)

I'm not gonna argue with any flaming in response to what I've said here, as I've only mentioned them because someone was curious...So you're just expecting flames, not any sensible answers?

6chars

Look, the guy was wondering "what (people) want that it doesn't deliver". I've answered his question directly. I'm not gonna argue with anyone about what I've said. Just leave it. You have to accept that some people don't think it's so amazing, on balance.
If the game satisfied you, or you don't think it could be improved in any way, then good.

I agree that more could have been done with the game length of story wise, but don't forget, Gamers of today have a much higher skill level than we did back then. In my case I remember cutting my gaming teeth on Jetpac and Manic Miner on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum in 1982. When the original DOOM came out, everyone was like "OMFG!!! WOW!!!" and people found it quite difficult to play, then the next generation came out like QUAKE and all of a sudden Strafing is discovered in conjunction with MOUSELOOK, and the whole task of moving around the game got sooo much easier. Now we have high resolution optical/laser mice and game designed specific keyboards (see the ZBoard) making our control THAT much more accurate. Now, new gamers to the scene won't have honed these skills over the years and will just be getting to grips with them, so what can the software company do. Increase the difficulty to the point where it really challenges the veteran players and alienates the new ones, or keep the difficulty at a reasonable level for the new kids on the block?

I think they got it about right this time. They definately deserved the Game Of The Year, not just for gameplay and graphics, but for a continuing original story, an immersive game world that is all too plausible and the replay value of the game with the freedom of access to the game engine for the MODding community.

Well done Valve....

/rant off

Errr, you mean there are other formats? ........*chortle*.........*guffaws*............

*ROFL*

Why buy an X-box when you can build 4 times the processing power for 2 times the money?

did what it said on the tin,wouldnt have too many probs with goty

duhard of corse half life 2 should not be game of year becose u ask in hall life forum... tsss. if u dont like physic engine or bad ai u play panzer general or someting.

i think doom3 is game of year not becose of bad ai or physic but becose i like doom. and if u think other then its ur problem and i wont discus again hl2 vs d3 this is over. but hl2 is nice game too :D

:cat: :cat:

Duhard said:

well?

Either:

1) You got a pirated game (AI disabled permenantly)
2) You spent all your time picking out the imperfections
3) You are going to get flamed by fanboys on a forum that <3's HL2 :|

Back