Is hl2 really worthy of the game of the year award?

PvtRyan said:
You can make every game insanely hard, so could HL2 be (try a difficulty mod that adjusts weapon damage and accuracy of the enemies) that has jack shit to do with AI. If the enemies were more accurate, then they'd force you to take a slower approach and eliminate your chance to walk up to them and gun 'em in the head.

i completely agree with that. try play any rainbow six game in highest difficulty like fps solo shooter game, is impossible hard although ai is not groundbreaking.
this rises question of what could make ai per se more hard...
- maybe enemys could retreat and regroup if outgunned and ambush player (but not script ambush like u never know where in new game)
- if enemy knows where player is (gunfire etc.) he could boobytrap door in direct route (wich he would walk thrugh to attack player)

i think there is more point to this list but i cant think of more.

but maybe there is point in 'shooter-on-rails' where u cant make ai more hard. i look forward to see ai in new fps concept games (like stalker).

<jk>i also think we shoult make universal combat goty this will make derek smart a very happy man.</jk>

take care

:cat:

Ryan, I was responding to the suggestion that AI has nothing to do with difficulty, which I would have thought is obviously untrue, in the context we're dealing with (as you seemed to forget, that's first-person shooters) I didn't say AI is the sole factor in difficulty - but it's a significant factor - especially in games where you face facsimiles of people. So don't try decontextualising the argument, because it's a cheap shot.

not everyone cares so much, everyone is entitled to liking certain games better than others because of personal taste, and it is always interesting to see other peoples viewpoints, yada yada.

HL2 is officially the best PC game of all time in my eyes, never had so much of a mixed bag of emotions and fun playing an fps game. Every moment/location is memorable because its always detailed and different. then the ending compounds all youve been through and creates this weird feeling inside, and flashbacks through the whole of the game persue , tis brilliant.

I love the engine.
Best game engine I have ever seen so far. And that engine was put to very good use with a classy storyline, brilliant textures, environments, characters and thus gameplay.

The engine is the foundation of a game, and other good games really annoy and frustrate me because of a buggy and laggy engine (Battlefield Vietnam for example)

Yes i absolutely think it's worth it.

No other games came close to giving me the experience i had in Half-Life 2.

Back