is it just me or has half life 2 changed?

SFLUFAN said:
Why do you hope you're wrong? That sounds like a FAR more interesting situation than simply fighting Xen's forces - been there, done that, got the t-shirt :)

I don't know, I guess I liked the aliens, and this one seems to be far more centered at the 'human' threat, the combine, but it may be nostalgia :D

PvtRyan said:
I don't know, I guess I liked the aliens, and this one seems to be far more centered at the 'human' threat, the combine, but it may be nostalgia :D

I'm still not convinced the Combine soldiers are actually human.. it'll be interesting to find out :D

I prefered the chunky and vibrant look of the originals. The new pics look more gritty and nasty (which is fine, but hardly different from most pc titles)

Freakaloin said:
i was thinking how little it has changed...a whole year later and all they changed was a few skins here and there? what have they been doing? i thought the game was just about done a year ago?
Read about the history of how the original Half-Life was developed, their situation on HL2 is very similar. Compare 1997 screenshots with the 1998 ones.

Brian Damage said:
All the zombies in HL had an open chest. If anything, the zombies we've seen so far in HL2 seem fresher than the ones at BMRF, as the chest gash hasn't even begun to become a mouth yet.

hmm youre right, but op4 had a stronger one where the chest was animated or something.
Still hope HL2 has several versions ;)

Bluestrike said:
hmm youre right, but op4 had a stronger one where the chest was animated or something.

Dude when I saw that thing running towards me with its arms extended I crapped my pants. :eek:

it looks better than last year. especially the faces of some characters.

Bluestrike said:

The Gonome. It also had an animation where it reached inside its mouth and scooped out some acidy gunk to fling at you.

hasan said:
HL only uses the quake1 engine, no q2 there. (maybe a few lines .. I remember reading that, by few I mena something around 10-20 lines.)

Im sorry but i think you are wrong.. i specifically remember HL being published as a build on the Quake 2 engine (heavily modified if i remember correctly) it makes sense.

KnifeKnight said:
Im sorry but i think you are wrong.. i specifically remember HL being published as a build on the Quake 2 engine (heavily modified if i remember correctly) it makes sense.
No it's a heavily modified Quake engine. Look it up on Valve-ERC.

It contains a fix from the Quake 2 source code when Quake 1 had an exploit in the netcode.

f|uke said:
Eh,. the zombies look way different,. and way better,.. the old zombies just have headcrabs for heads,.. on the new ones, it looks like the headcrab has grown into the zombie,.
but i kind of like that. maybe some of the zombies will be "new" and not totally transformed. i think that would be a great way to mix it up. that with different body types would make for some nice variety.

does anyone know if there are going to be different species of antlions, for example the green ones and yellow ones?

here is another comparison:

combine old
combine new

My favourite change is Eli's face.

Back in 2003 it looked damn amazing, but then in 2004 it sucked. Valve updated the model and it brings about just the same wow factor as before.

The delay really made HL2 a visually better game than it would have been last year.

2003 Eli: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=1

2004 Eli: http://www.halflife2.net/misc_images/characters/c_eli.jpg

Valve has increased the number of polies, instead of using normal maps to give a smooth head. Otherwise you get the "coneheads" as in Doom 3 (betruger, kelly and the senator).

Back