Is it possible to DOS FTP into my own computer?

BlindTelepath

Reaction score
Title says it all really, I want to be able to access files on my computer from any Windows machine with the command prompt, if possible. Any thoughts?

u mean u want to access the files on your computer from a different one?

If i'm understanding you, all you need to do is get some freeware ftp server, set it up on your comp. Then, whenever your on some other comp, just go into dos, go ftp, the connect *yourip* then the username/password that you set up on the server. Then you can get the files from your comp through dos

giant384: Yes.

Ikerous: OK, thanks. :)

Any software suggestions anyone? (MUST have user accounts possible, I want to make my whole C:\ accessible, but only to me!)

I think cerberus ftp server is one of the simplest (but feature-lacking) to set up.

It's probably not very safe to leave a FTP server running on your computer, especially if it's sharing the entire drive.

Thanks FW, 'preciate it. :)

Diluted: Yeah, I know. On the other hand, I don't have anything sensitive, and I won't share system-critical files or anything... I figure an account/pw requirement will shut out any casual browsers, and anything further... there's no one who would want to, and, wcs, I'll just recover it.

u can use a program to do that to access your computer and everything from a different computer

I use that no-ip thing and its great. You have a little program which runs as a service under xp that will update the host with any ip address changes, handy if you don't have a static ip like me.

Back