is there a way to play HL2 in opengl?

i thought it did play in open gl, just go to your video tab and it says so, you are confusing me now...i thought it was?

No, all Source games are always played in D3D. Most people who tried playing HL games/mods in OpenGL got graphics screwed up, so I think Valve didn't bother with implementing it into HL2.

Hectic Glenn said:
i thought it did play in open gl, just go to your video tab and it says so, you are confusing me now...i thought it was?
who told you so?!! it doesn't support opengl afaik.

I'm not sure of a work around, maybe there is something out there to wrap opengl around DX, I mean sit between the application and the video card, fakes itself as DX, but makes opengl calls.

hasan said:
who told you so?!! it doesn't support opengl afaik.

I'm not sure of a work around, maybe there is something out there to wrap opengl around DX, I mean sit between the application and the video card, fakes itself as DX, but makes opengl calls.

Transgaming WineX runs Half-Life 2 out-of-the-box under Linux, so yes, there is. =P

hasan said:

Which sounds like an incredibly ineffiecient way of rendering, considering pretty much every 3d video card in the world supports directx. :p

damn because io think half life1 had an option to choose opengl or dx9.
yea my card supports dx9, but i wanted to try something in opengl.

bizzy420 said:
damn because io think half life1 had an option to choose opengl or dx9.
yea my card supports dx9, but i wanted to try something in opengl.

It had the option of running Opengl, but shit if it ever worked for me :LOL:

me and my friend have been running hl1 on opengl since it came out and never had a problem with it? i thought everyone used opengl for hl1..

all games on valve run on open gl, direct 3d OR Software... u choose to ur likeing i personally love open gl

ilovemetal said:
all games on valve run on open gl, direct 3d OR Software... u choose to ur likeing i personally love open gl

All games EXCEPT for Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Counter Strike: Source, and the soon to be released Day of Defeat: Source. ;)

OH and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch

The source engine uses only Direct X rendering.
Open GL rendering is not included in the engine.

ilovemetal said:
Half Life 1 based games you could do that, yes.

That's probably why people are asking about OpenGL and HL2 except it's DirectX only.

Back