Is This a Gaming First!

skater4evr5

Reaction score
a mod of a PC game coming out BEFORE the ACTUALL game does ROFL!! Man they have this backwards dont they ?

Yes it's a first but a brilliant first!!

Amazingly brilliant i might add. Thousands upon thousands of people are going to buy hl2 next week on steam just so they get to play CS:S straight away.

Genius. I don't think Vivendi will like that one bit.

their incompetent director of marketing forgot to tell them that they are supposed to release the game AND THEN the multiplayer :D

nobody offically said that HL2 WASN'T coming out at the same time...
maybe y'all are jumping the gun.

cadaveca said:

Valve can't release Hl2 yet because of the lawsuit. If valve sells Cs:source with their steam packages they can say in court, well we already sold all these people Hl2 though steam and we have to deliver it to them and the courts will probably rule in valve's favor.

skater4evr5 said:
a mod of a PC game coming out BEFORE the ACTUALL game does ROFL!! Man they have this backwards dont they ?

hmm.. sorta like a laughing stock deal... the difference being that for HL fans.. its really not a laughing matter.. but i guess a Doom/Halo fan may see it differently..

cadaveca said:

You mean, nobody except Valve. There's a little star next to "HL2" which means "To be available upon products release".

Feath said:
You mean, nobody except Valve. There's a little star next to "HL2" which means "To be available upon products release".

maybe they want to announce the official release date...like say...tomorrow? That would be a good day...Sept 30th?
ther are many possible takes on that. By rumor, CS:S and HL2 RC's went the same day....or maybe i got it wrong like the CS:S preload being a HL2 preload...
flamer.

skater4evr5 said:
Its the point of what Valve is doing. Forcing VU to put the game out now or lose revenue to people purchasing off steam to get the CS:S. Brilliant move by Valve actually.

Or it could be that it isn't in the contract that they need to wait till Half-Life 2's release to release CS:S. After all, CS:S is just a free extra.

Heck, if Half Life 2 isn't on shelves by November than it will be another gaming first in that another game built on the engine will be released before it (in this case: Vampire Bloodlines)

Mr-Fusion said:

Amazingly brilliant i might add. Thousands upon thousands of people are going to buy hl2 next week on steam just so they get to play CS:S straight away.

Lol, just two days ago I bought CS:CZ just to play CS:Source Beta! Now I'm gonna buy HL2 a week later and get the full version of CS:Source.
Me = pwned.

Feath said:
Or it could be that it isn't in the contract that they need to wait till Half-Life 2's release to release CS:S. After all, CS:S is just a free extra.

from who's point of view? Valve? Or Vivendi? Or maybe both. I don't remember hearing anything about CS:S being part of the distribution contract. But like most have said, it doesn ot make sense to release...ah crap. I guess you could call CS:S a demo for the source engine AND Hl2, as it uses alot of the same textures...you could be right.

no your idea sucks! you can't be right!lol :cheers:

It's still unknown, IMHO. I only believe something when it's set in stone. Still kinda "iffy" on whether this news is real or not!

Chode said:
Heck, if Half Life 2 isn't on shelves by November than it will be another gaming first in that another game built on the engine will be released before it (in this case: Vampire Bloodlines)

Actually, I'm pretty sure America's Army was released before Unreal Tournament 2003 (In regards to UE2).

Mr-Fusion said:

Sure it's great for Valve, but it nicely screws the customer over who wants a retail version.

Neutrino said:
Sure it's great for Valve, but it nicely screws the customer over who wants a retail version.

Maybe not. Just think of the number of people who will now purchase this off Steam, just to play CS:S whilst waiting for HL2.

VU are not stupid, they will see this and probably release Retail HL2 ASAP. This must be good news for the Retail customers as well.

Excellent move on Valve's part. I bet VU don't delay it 6 months now :LOL:

Back