Is this any good? Help appreciated.

ROD

Reaction score
My friend wants to sell me his GeForce 4 MX card that came with his Gateway computer. It is 128 MB. He told me that he'd sell it to me for $45. Should I get it? I really want to upgrade to ANY card from my current GeForce 2 MX 400. I get horrible FPS with BF1942 set to the lowest.

BTW, he is selling it to me because he got an ATI Radeon 9600.

Well you won't notice THAT big a performance increase... since the geforce 4 mx is essentially a geforce 2 mx with slightly better specs.

Offer him $5 for that card. It's not worth much more
You can get a brand new one for $55, so if he's selling you a used card, that's a huge ripoff, especially for that card

MaxiKana said:
Well you won't notice THAT big a performance increase... since the geforce 4 mx is essentially a geforce 2 mx with slightly better specs.

Close
A GF4 MX is a DX7 card like GF2 but it performs a bit better than the GF2 TI cards for frame rate.
But it is still worth...almost nothing. It is worth 5-35$ depending if its almost new or used IMO.

Yep... You won't even be able to play games like Prince Of Persia...

Which card do you all recommend that I get? I don't have much money to spend. I'll probably buy it off eBay as well.

Ah, Crap! I just found out my pc is PCI! Damnit! Now what do I do?

lol i love upgrading, if u buy a new mobo, ull have to buy new ram too, and almost everythign new. cuss new mobos most definitly do not support the old stuff u have. lets face it u are running a gf2, i dought those huge sticks of logs u call ram sticks will actualy be capable with the new mobos. i lvoe this problem, u upgrade 1 u got to upgrade the ****ing team!!!! lol.

dude i suggest u put 100 dollars together and get a fairly descent card. hell **** it, dont buy anything untill january, u have chirstmas presents, save up money and buy a 150 dollar card, what u can get a 9600 or something no, i dont know hte prices but they pretty cheap now, u can get a asus 9800xt for like ummmmmm 430 or osmething, very cheap comparted to a month ago they were 550. trust me im getting that card, ive been paying attention.

p.s. dont ever buy a pci video card. thank you.

Oh, wait. My video card has a "hook" at the end. I think it is AGP. Anyways. Are FX 5200 any good? I just want to play Battlefield 1942 decently for now. Here are my specs:
1.7 GHz Pentium 4
512 MB SDRAM
80 GB Hard Drive
GeForce 2 MX 400

I usually get like 25 fps on the lowest setting on BF1942 and it lags like hell when the action heats up. I have cable internet by the way.

I can get an ATI radeon 9200 for $50. Should I? Either that or an FX 5200 for the same price. Also, a GeForce 4 TI for $50. Which??!!?!?!

If it is 9200 SE then don't get it, a 9100 pro or 9000 pro will out perform it seeing as how the 9200SE is only 64bit. The FX5200 is the basic equivalent of the 9200 standard, although I have seen one in action and it is pretty poor. We then put a Radeon 9000 xstasy in the same system, it performed very well over the 5200.

All in all get the 9200 standard or pro, the SE will most likely set you back to the speed of a 386 rofl :afro:

If you want to pay the extra billz, then go for the 9600 standard or pro, you may or may not see a major performance increase over the 9200 but it will support more features... :)

Oh, didn't see that last card, yeah the GF4 Ti4200 was rated #1 for a time, because of it's cost and speed over the others...

GF4 Ti4200 is very nice - it has served me well, runs all the latest games decently, as long as you don't push up AA and AF. Even DX2 on max is playable with it. It runs DX9 games even though it's 8.1 etc etc

overall decent mid-high range card. Make sure your cpu can back it up though.

I agree, GF4 TI (4200/4400/4600/4800 any of those 128MB) DX8.0 cards are better than FX5200 DX9.0 or 9200 pro DX8.1 cards. Better frame rate, better stability/compatibility.

Back