Is this good for first model? 28k warning (lol)

WaterMelon34

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
Hey, I just recently got into modeling and I really want to master it before HL2 comes out so I can join a mod team. Using 3DS Max 5. And I plan on adding screws to it lol. This is what I have to show after 2 days (about 4 hours altogether) :

LSBM-Normal.jpg

LSBM-Reload.jpg

Feedback please, I need some tips. Thanks. :dork:

Hell, it looks good to me. How long u been modelling? I am currently modelling a rifle for HL2. I can't wait until I finish.

Thanks, it's my first model. So you're making a rifle eh? Can I see? Pretty Please? :D

Looks a little bit bland and toyish, the barrel seems outsized for the gun and the detailing doesn't seem quite right but keep trying it's looking promising!

very nice 1ste try, i'd llike to add this, the triangle count seems very high for such a simple weapon (if you plan on modeling for a MOD, you'll need to learn low-poly modeling) mostly on the barrel's, make them 10/12/14 sides ? don't know, and the total of the gun, all depends on what kind of MOD you'll be working for, we model our weapons around 1500 triangles (MP game) some are 1700, some are 1200 ;p

post your progress, so we can see how fast you evolve :thumbs:

Aight, I'll be working on another pistol for a while and I'll show you guys my progress soon.

How do I make proper grip? No matter how I do it it looks flat. You can see my attempt on the barrel.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, here are some pics of the rifle. It is an L-85 rifle used by the British military. It is far from being done. This is undoubtedly the best model I have made so far, however. I am just beginning as well! :cheers:

damn, nice! sorry i haven't posted on this thread for a while i thought it was over.

Dont think its good for game. 24k tris????? I ask, WHERE it is? Gordon Freeman in hl2 have 8k tris....dont make such things like this green button or something near it, you can make it by a texture, and its some tris less. Think about doing models with number of tris as low as possible, remember, you can do VERY much with textures.

For a first attempt, this isn't bad. I see you have used a lot of primitives here. The way I usually model is that I start with a single polygon and extrude edges. That depends if you like to boxmodel or edgemodel, but you should try it. It's when you manage to really edit the primitives you get smooth models. But just keep on the good work and you will eventually get there.

Back