Is this REAL army guy wearing a combine thing?

Glo-Boy

Reaction score
Now, I don't know much about what actually goes on an army uniform or whatever, but isn't this guy wearing some combine gear on his left arm?
ACU3_low.jpg
My friend found this and pointed it out to me, he got the picture from the official army website.

Well at least the picture answers the "Eagle Eye" thread's question. :)

...This thread confuses me.

The soldier's either wearing a rank patch, or it's just an insignia for his unit.

Nothing combine-like here folks... Move along.

hourglass2yh.jpg

Look at the symbols on the 2 soldiers' left arms.

Yeah, I already noticed it, so? Valve probably used the symbol to put it on combine soldiers' arm.

Oh noes! Conspiracy! Combine soldiers are actually U.S. Marines under disguise! And Breen is Bush under disguise! Will Gordon help Al Queda, errr, Resistance Science Team, save the world?

iMMuNiTy said:
Yeah, I already noticed it, so? Valve probably used the symbol to put it on combine soldiers' arm.

GOD IT'S A FREAKING COINCEDENCE!!!

Lol, this is like watching lab mice in a box, with a slab of cheese behind in a doorless room.

Er, maybe it's because that soldier is using the "land warrior" system and maybe the overwatch are considered to use some more advanced version of this system. Or maybe it's a coincidence. Or maybe its a photo shop.

or maybe valve just used real world inspiration when designing their models..? that seems like the most likely explaination. if that pic is real anyway.

Mr.Magnetichead said:
It's a Photoshop.
Photoshop? Which one? The "real" one? No, the tag seems good enough and you'd need Picasso, Michelangelo or Van Goug to paint that kind of tag. The combine soldier one? No, this is an a model shot. I can give you in-game screenshots. I don't understand what's photoshopped?

And it's not a coincidense, it's clear as day that Valve simply used the tag to add realism. Just like they used real faces for characters. Now that Source is an engine with very detailed graphics, building a model from scratch would be very hard and would take too long.

He means that the image of the real soldier has been changed to include the Combine symbol.

That digital camo looks weird. Although, it does make your eyes feel weird if you stare at it IRL.

Digital camo? Just looks like pixellised desert camo to me. Does it explain why he's mixing two types of camo?

And ontopic; Valve probably saw it as inspiration and decided to use it.

SimonomiS said:
Digital camo? Just looks like pixellised desert camo to me. Does it explain why he's mixing two types of camo?

The pixelated stuff is the new digital camo... I have a pair of shorts with a desert design on them in the digital pattern... its pretty cool.

The other day, I saw some army trucks with MASSIVE pixels on them, they looked really cool, they were completely pixelated in their woodland colouring (and kinda silly, I thought I was in an old skool video game :p)

Right thats settled then. The entire comine overwatch force in City 17 is the US 7th infantry Division that has been assimilated into the combine.

iMMuNiTy said:
Photoshop? Which one? The "real" one? No, the tag seems good enough and you'd need Picasso, Michelangelo or Van Goug to paint that kind of tag.

HAHAHAHAHA That's a joke right? I can photoshop a picture of you sucking George Bushes dick that looks so realistic it'll have your dad beating you for weeks.

Mr.Magnetichead said:
HAHAHAHAHA That's a joke right? I can photoshop a picture of you sucking George Bushes dick that looks so realistic it'll have your dad beating you for weeks.
Am I supposed to laugh now? You're talking about photo montage.

I don't understand, which the pic is supposedly faked with photoshop?

Has anyone here ver played with phoshop? Well I can tell you that the pic of the soldier is Not photoshopped and that it doesnt really matter, as the real soldiers were the first to introduce it. It's like gettin all thrills over the real textures in half-life.

I work with Photoshop. I don't know what Mr.Magnetichead is ranting about. You can't change or edit a man's clothing with photoshop. A small detail, yeah, but not a whole tag, which obviously looks like non-dubbed. You should lay off eating magnets. They're bad for your health. And your mind, as it seems, too.

If I had my wacom here and about 6 hours on time that I'm willing to spend proving you wrong I would.

How do you think they designed the Combine texture in the first place? Magic?

Now the thing is, the soldier is really wearing the patch that the combine have and we have evidence and it's not a photo montage. Now what we need to focus on is what the pach means and why the combine have it.

Because valve took inspiration from real world army logos.

Mr.Magnetichead said:
If I had my wacom here and about 6 hours on time that I'm willing to spend proving you wrong I would.

How do you think they designed the Combine texture in the first place? Magic?
It's not the first time I hear "If I <bullsh!t here>, then I'd show you!". You probably don't even know how to use Photoshop.

They designed the texture with Photoshop, probably, yes. But the army guy photo isn't faked. Look at the tag. Only a professional montage could do this, and still doubtable. The tag is very detailed, it's not painted; the chances of it montaged are also small, because to "fit" it in that good need skills, very good skills. One could only suspect the combine soldier picture faked. But it isn't, since that's how the combine soldier actually looks in-game.

What I am trying to say, the picture of the army guy is obviously not photoshopped. Obviously.

Heh. Sulks. Your popularity is decreasing signifcantly. Soon you'll be just ignored. Do something! :upstare:

Back