Is this site legit?

Reaction score
This site seems too good to be true. My buddy that lives in CA started using it tonight and said his friend has been using it for a while. He says it's in Russia but everything's in english and uncensored...

$1.61 for American Idiot, X&Y for $1.76? You can d/l entire CD's for amazingly cheap.

Dammit I'm dumb...I keep posting this kind of stuff without the link.

www.allofmp3.com

It's legal in Russia - I think the RIAA, or the international equivalent, tried to get the Russian authorities to shut it down - the police investigated it but it was determined that it was entirely legitimate in Russia, because they have a wildly different intellectual rights system over there to the US, EU etc.
Whether it's legal to be downloading from another country is another thing. Some have said that it is equivalent to paying for something cheaply abroad and importing it.

Apparently they get away with it in Russia because they're charging for the data itself. They charge by file size. You can choose between various qualities and file types when you get songs so prices vary a tiny bit. It's still really cheap. I might do it.

if I remember correctally it was actually recommmended in popular science (I've read every issue from now back to 1986) I belive in the "you 2.0" ection

I've been with that site for 7 months! Spent about $100 all up and let me tell you it's absoloutley fantastic.

Speeds are great 150kb/s, customer support is great (I've had a couple questions and they answered them in less that 24hrs), quality is fantastic and the prices are dirt cheap. I can't say enough about Allofmp3.com. I recommend it to anyone - not a single complaint.

@StardogChampion - They price by megabytes. Most albums you can get at full quality (wav, directly ripped from CD and that's usually expensive), but I they offer MP3's from anywhere to 128kbs, 320kps or standard, insane and extreme presets. They also have Mad Season there!

Does this include the UK? And are the tracks fully named?

Harryz said:
Does this include the UK? And are the tracks fully named?

Dunno what you're asking exactly about the UK - you can download tracks to anywhere in the world. You prepay in amounts of $10 (about £5.50), $15, $20 etc, via any credit card, or pay through a third-party agency plus Paypal using a debit card.

You can customise the way your tracks are named - album names, artist names, track number, track title can be included in the filename. However, the ID3 tags can be a little problematic - for example if a song is from a compilation, the artist tag is often the title of the compilation and the track title tag is 'Artist - Track Name". I've not figured out how to change this, and I don't think you can.

StardogChampion said:
It looks like they do their pricing based on the length of the song. An 8 minute song costs $0.24, but a 3:06 song costs $0.09. I might start buying songs online now...

No, don't ever buy songs online. I tried it out once, and it sucks.

For one, you usually get all that copy protection crap surrounding the file, and it can make it hard to duplicate the song or burn it to a CD.

But that's not my major issue with online music purchases (I can get around the copy protection easy), my problem is with the quality of sound.

No online music vendors will give you the pure .wav song, and that's what you want. I always buy CD's because I can tell the difference between the two. the quality of an MP3 is horrible, even when encoded by EAC and a good LAME compile (my fav way of CD ripping). I will always prefer the sound of a CD in a dedicated CD player to a ripped MP3. CD music will have less muddy Bass, tighter and cleaner snare's and cymbals, less burned out guitar riffs, and the vocals will have more range. Not to mention that you can miss some instruments alltogether in MP3's (I didn't know there were wispers in a ton of Zepp songs till I was just chilling with my headphones on).

Please ignore sinkoman's post - while it may be true with the itunes store or similar - he obviously hasn't used allofmp3.com.

There is no copyright protection enabled on allofmp3.com at all.

Online Encoding was created and implemented as a unique technology for providing our users with high quality audio files in the format and bit rate of their choice. Of course, this type of technology is very costly, so we must charge.. However, we've found several technological solutions that allow us to provide our service for a minimal price.

Online Encoding enables you to get music in the format (MPEG-1 Layer 3 - MP3, Windows Media Audio - WMA, Ogg Vorbis - OGG, MusePack - MPC, MPEG-4 AAC, etc.) and quality you prefer. The large assortment of encoding formats and bit rates can satisfy any user.

Why don't we provide our users with already encoded mp3 files at the standard bit rate of 192 Kbps? We think that it is worth the extra time to get audio files of the quality and format of your choice than to download files (already prepared by someone) with standard quality.

All albums that are available for ordering with the Online Encoding service are marked by the icons: or .

The price of 1 Megabyte of traffic for the media-materials marked as Online Encoding is 0.02 USD.

allofmp3 is a russian site thats only legal cuz its not in the US.

HOLD THE FREAKING PHONE!

They have Command And Conquer Gold and The Red Alert soundtracks o_O

Yay!

(Oh and the site rocks)

The BPI guy seems to be talking bullshit. Allofmp3 IS legal in Russia, it complies with the Russian copyright laws, it was investigated by the Moscow police last year, and nothing came of it. I think Allofmp3 will keep going until Russian copyright law changes, which seems inevitable for trade relations. In the mean time, there isn't much the BPI or the RIAA can do about it, short of suing individual customers.

If you're buying something for that cheap, it's not like the artist going to see any of it. At that point you mind has well torrent it.

Wow, old thread. I haven't used that site in ages. I buy all my CD's now. I missed having them.

Back