Is this the most obscure ingame reference yet?

Reaction score
Something struck me last night as I was watching through the Trap Town bink again last night....

Has anyone seen the Apple '1984' commercial directed by Ridley Scott? If you havn't seen it, where have you been? Anyway you can find it here: http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

There is ofcourse alot of similarities with the world presented in HL2 and that of the world portrayed in George Orwells 1984.

This book was then the inspiration for the 1984 Apple commercial, I mean the tag line of the ad was:

"On January 24th Apple Computers will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like '1984'"

Now as you watch that commercial you will hear a siren in the background every now and then throughout.

Now if you you go and watch the Trap town video when Gordon jumps down and dispatches the single zombie there, he starts playing with the motor blade trap. As he pushes it back and forth it makes almost THE EXACT SAME SOUND as that siren in the background of the 1984 trailer!!!

How damm cool is that!?

Is this the as yet unseen easter egg?

I'll let you listen for yourself. :)

this feels like it should be in the rumor section.

Hehe, You may be onto something.
I see similarities as well.

Well, I can hear a slight resemblance, but to say that a siren sounding like a rusty motor blade trap goes to far imho.

Nice theory, though

Wow, could this be the egg Gabe has said we never found?

Plus that chick is pretty hot.

It's not the exact same to be hounest... Sounds a bit like it though

RoyaleWithCheese said:
Well, I can hear a slight resemblance, but to say that a siren sounding like a rusty motor blade trap goes to far imho.

Nice theory, though

I think he means the siren at the end of the vid, after you blow the zombies up and the vid fades to black you hear a siren.

RoyaleWithCheese said:

Nice theory, though

Did you even listen to the Trap Town sound effect?

Yes, I did Automatic Kafka, and I did not find it sounding a lot like the commercial. That's my opinion.

edit: it has the same tone and all, but I just find it a bit too far fetched

Moved, its a bit obscure and the only link is both are based on 1984. The audio was probably just a coincidence.

It just seems a normal sound effect from a rusty device such as the motor blade.

To say that this is the easter egg would be kicking an open door. Everyone knows that HL2 is inspired by 1984. You can say that Dr. Breen on the screen is an easter egg as well, because you see a guy on a screen in the commercial as well, and brainwashed people.

It's just two different types of media with the same influence: 1984

edit: Fenric/The Dark Elf beat me to it :)

RoyaleWithCheese said:
It just seems a normal sound effect from a rusty device such as the motor blade.

To say that this is the easter egg would be kicking an open door. Everyone knows that HL2 is inspired by 1984. You can say that Dr. Breen on the screen is an easter egg as well, because you see a guy on a screen in the commercial as well, and brainwashed people.

It's just two different types of media with the same influence: 1984

edit: Fenric/The Dark Elf beat me to it :)

Yes but books have no sound effects.... :rolling:

okay drop it, you obviously don't want to understand or can't understand what I'm trying to say.

RoyaleWithCheese said:
okay drop it, you obviously don't want to understand or can't understand what I'm trying to say.

No I know exatlly what you mean. Both the commercial and HL2 are based around or have references to HL2.

But just because HL2 references the book doesn't mean it can't also reference the commercial (which btw is one of the most famous ads ever). It's TOO much of a conicidence that two things based on 1984 should use almost the same sound effect.

hehe, well said. I gotta say that creaking noise when he pushes the blades and the siren are pretty much the same, if it was an easter egg, as such, then i think its pretty crap lol. Not that exciting tbh, i think if they did mean something like that they'd make it a bit more comical? :p

Automatic Kafka said:
Yes but books have no sound effects.... :rolling:

That depends on how many beers you have been drinking .. Anything can have sound effects if your just thirsty enough.

Back