is this true.........

D

domedosser

finshed HL2 great game...tried 2 sell it to a mate at work n he tells
me it will NOT work on any other machine...
apprantly Steam log your IP,so try to install on another machine it wont work....latest bid to stop piracy...
if this is true,what good is it now it,s finshed..cannot sell it,or trade it in....

Dude. First of all, write sentences that another human being MIGHT be able to understand.
Now, i don't think they trace the ip. But you shouldn't sell it, there's TONS of mods coming out soon, many of them will be better than HL2 itself.

you can sell it, it is against the policy though.

you can login to your steam account from anywhere.

domedosser said:
finshed HL2 great game...tried 2 sell it to a mate at work n he tells
me it will NOT work on any other machine...
apprantly Steam log your IP,so try to install on another machine it wont work....latest bid to stop piracy...
if this is true,what good is it now it,s finshed..cannot sell it,or trade it in....
Yes it's true. I'm not convinced by the method - it's not by IP logging as such, and you can install the game on as many machines as you like, however, once you register the game using the CD-Key in the box, you tie that retail copy of the game to your Steam user-account. As such, the CD-Key is useless to the person you re-sell to, without the account details for your file.

This all makes buying a copy of HL2 very treacherous, because it's hard to tell whether it'll work until you try putting the numbers into Steam. Then you have the dilemna that if multiple people use this account, Valve may get suspicious. Therefore, Selling HL2 second-hand is not recommended, especially as I'd say a flat "no" to anyone thinking of buying it second hand.

But then, this is HL2 we're talking about. I don't really understand why you'd want to get rid of it: even if you (somehow) disliked the Single Player; mods and all manner of bountiful free content will be out in the future and you'll get your money's worth.

you need steam to play hl2... you need to register hl2 key in steam to play it.. if you've done that.. no one else can use that key... so, if youre going to sell it.. you'll need to give your steam away... whay i think you should do? DONT SELL IT! i mean.. hello? sell half life2? THE half life 2? dude...

What about CS:S or HL2DM? Don't you play any of those? I don't understand how anyone could want to sell HL2 after they buy it. Some many cool mods coming out soon....

I've beaten HL2 for the fourth time about two weeks ago - and I haven't touched it since - but am I selling it? No. :)

Garry's Mod, for instance, is just awesome, but we will also be getting some "proper" mods in a few months - such as Black Mesa: Source, Sven Coop 2, City 13 and Valandil. Don't sell HL2, just because you've beaten it. Play it again, or get into multiplayer as Blakeb155 suggests, or even better: get into development, and make your own levels.

Yeah, its better to keep it. Besides, you never know when you'll want to go back to a game you already finished. I think I finished System Shock 2 about 7 times over the past 5 years.... (has it been around that long? correct me if I misremember)

And finished HL2 6 times since I got it....... hehehe

Back