It really sucks being me

Buy a hooker, bring her home and say your in love, they won't mind you buying a comp then.

Ok listen to this, I used to get the same crap man. Then I learned I could do it anyways.

To answer some of your questions: Yes I still live with my parents and they pay for my food and taxes, etc, but I don't really have a job, because I just finished highschool and I am gonna start studying in the University this fall. How am I gonna be able to support myself while studying?

It is their duty to support me until I can take care of myself.

I could walk around searching for a job alright, but if I work and study at the same time, won't that affect my grades?

And just because I live at home they complain about me paying for "overprized toys", while they pay for more apropriate things... like cars. I guess they only want me to be a successful man and not a happy, successful man...

Like so much in life, its not fair, but there is nothing you can do about it. If they say no comp, then no comp and your only hope is to convince them otherwise.

There have been various methods suggested, so which you use is up to you, but if alcohol is legal at your age, where you live, start getting really drunk every night.

Or, buy a desk and chair, and just sit at it moving your fingers like you were playing a game.

Either that, or buy it a bit at a time. Get a monitor, mouse and keyboard. When they complain, say "Hey, its not a computer" (Which its not) then get a case, then MB and so on untill you have a computer. :)

If he is supposed to get drunk everynight he have to do it in a bar, buying alchohol and take it home is not legal until you are 20 in sweden. But once you are 18 you can still buy and drink alchohol at restaaurnats and sush.

Murray said:
HOW MANY PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD SUFFERS FROM BEING PROHIBITED FROM GETTING THEIR OWN COMPUTER!!?? THIS IS THE MOST F.U.B.A.R. PART OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!

Essentially, you should just tell your dad to piss off. Apart from moving out (probably not an option?), I don't see another solution.

My mom was like 'If you get a job and earn your money then I wouldn't tell you how to spend it!!". Does she realise how long it would take me to save up for a new computer with the job's I'd be able to get!?

tell them you need it for your studies, a fast computer could really help your productivity

mortiz said:
My mom was like 'If you get a job and earn your money then I wouldn't tell you how to spend it!!". Does she realise how long it would take me to save up for a new computer with the job's I'd be able to get!?

Took me 6 months working the morning (4am:x) shift in a cafe at the airport...but hey I wanted the computer :)

Tell your dad the bigger the computer is, the bigger your willy is...I'm sure he'd even pay for it then.

work wont kill you ...besides when you earn it yourself you'll be able to buy exactly what you want instead of having mom say "do you really need a x800 vid card?, lets get the 9200 SE instead, it's much cheaper and better" :)

Unlike a few peoples opinions in this thread, you cant just "**** off" your parents. as you said, your living under there roof and they pay for your food etc... so you need to respect their wishes. however outragous they are. Try and sit them down and talk it over with them. Otherwise i cant see what else you can do.

sorry to hear about your situation though...

burnzie said:
Unlike a few peoples opinions in this thread, you cant just "**** off" your parents. as you said, your living under there roof and they pay for your food etc... so you need to respect their wishes. however outragous they are. Try and sit them down and talk it over with them. Otherwise i cant see what else you can do.

sorry to hear about your situation though...

Yes, but parents (my parents anyway) aren't exactly going to kick me out for spending my money how I want to. They can't really use it as a blackmailing chip!

Well, generally it is a good thing and has an educational value to spend money you earned through work. And if someone thinks, a computer is a waste and a car, expensive clothes, make-up, (put every non vital product here) is no waste it's ok.

But it's your money - you can spend it on anything YOU think it is worth. :cheers:

But since you still live with your parents maybe you try convince them ;)
Ask them what they are afraid of and try to calm them down with arguments.
If they don't agree... well, i don't know your parents or your relationship. But if they love you, that won't be such a big deal. (you plan to spend it 50:50 anyway - not 100% on the computer if i read correctly) :rolleyes:

so - good luck :thumbs:

just make your parents sign a contract: you promise to work to pay for a computer as long as they buy it first ...that way you look responsible AND you dont have to wait till you have enough funds ...trust me your parents would love the idea of you taking responsibility by making a contract

Alsi said:
good idea Captain :) - but didn't he already worked and HAS the money ? *confused*must read over*

now I'm confused ...btw I love your mobster Kermit ...heheh all he needs is a cigar

This just hit me:

Just tell them that it's hella cheap. Say that it only cost like 200 dollars, because of a sale or a friend who didn't need it or something. Problem solved!

OK i got it - He already worked and will get the money in a few weeks. :)

ps: hehe, thx :angel: - maybe i'll include a cigar :smoking:

Your dad has a point, sweet kick-ass machines arent cheap... but it's the 21st century and you're posting on a half-life 2 forum... and it's your money + your life.

Buy the damn machine, be a rebel and live your own life.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Tell your dad the bigger the computer is, the bigger your willy is...I'm sure he'd even pay for it then.

Heh, thanks, that was the greatest peice of advise this far. :D

Anyway, yeah, most of what you guys say is true, my money - my desitions, yet I can't help thinking something really bad is gonna happen if I buy it with my dad's current "optimism" for my future.

hey dude, ive come across the same situation once before wit my parents. Int the long run, they were worried i wasnt going to be able to save up for post-secondary because of my spending But i reassured them that i have no intention of going to college without at least living it p first. You only live once, so what the hell! ehh? Well i got a new computer.. (it kicks ass) they were completely fine wit that... they new i needed one. Then the big day came along when i got my dream car. 81 Z28 camaro. Wooo mama i love it to death lol. Im only 19, but have a full time job and a steady income. Realizing this my parents actually got excited about me getting the car. To summarize my rambeling... try to do you best to get your parents involved in what u like. U just might be surprised on how much they enjoy seing u happy! :) Keep it cool dude....

PEACE

Mike

My parents had that thing going. But I told them, look, that's MY hobby. Other people fish/golf/paint/whatever. You watch TV, I don't, I play. I tinker and build with computers like someone else might tinker with cars or build a model airplane. Why should you stop me spending my money on someting that is teaching me? Something that is relevant. Somthing that might someday come in useful. Something I enjoy doing. My hobby.

Andy said:
My parents had that thing going. But I told them, look, that's MY hobby. Other people fish/golf/paint/whatever. You watch TV, I don't, I play. I tinker and build with computers like someone else might tinker with cars or build a model airplane. Why should you stop me spending my money on someting that is teaching me? Something that is relevant. Somthing that might someday come in useful. Something I enjoy doing. My hobby.

*applause*

Well said.

Murray said:
Heh, thanks, that was the greatest peice of advise this far. :D

Anyway, yeah, most of what you guys say is true, my money - my desitions, yet I can't help thinking something really bad is gonna happen if I buy it with my dad's current "optimism" for my future.

If you're going to uni, say you need a laptop.

Get your dad drunk, and THEN ask him for a computer. When he says yes in his drunken state make sure you have the entire conversation recorded on tape. That way he cant say 'I never said that!'

RESULT: One computer

Andy said:

Most people I know don't get that. I don't even bother explaining anymore.

at 19 i was already living on my own and engaged to a wonderfull woman. GROW UP.

Plus... you have it peachy, dont complain, its not like your homeless and 30+ grand in debt.

RMachucaA said:
at 19 i was already living on my own and engaged to a wonderfull woman. GROW UP.

Plus... you have it peachy, dont complain, its not like your homeless and 30+ grand in debt.
No I don't have AIDS either. :sleep:

And please keep it mature by not telling me to grow up.

Your bickering of petty problems is quite annoying.

But, you are actually correct aswell.
So i'll let you be.

Just buy the damn thing. Respect your parents, but dont fear them.

Murray said:
To answer some of your questions: Yes I still live with my parents and they pay for my food and taxes, etc, but I don't really have a job, because I just finished highschool and I am gonna start studying in the University this fall. How am I gonna be able to support myself while studying?

It is their duty to support me until I can take care of myself.

Whoa whoa whoa. It was legally their duty to do until you became 18, now it's something they are doing out of the kindness of their heart and care for you. They could kick you out if they wanted. You're living with him for free, respect the house rules or you'll most likely be asked to leave.

I agree wholeheartedly with it being my hobby
thats how my 18th birthday present which was going to be a £400 word processor for uni turned into a £1000 3ghz pentium with x800pro and orange case with blue neon light :) (I paid for the graphics card though)

take the time to explain to your parents why you enjoy your hobby so much, your motto should be "once more with feeling". 8 months of how cool hl2 is gonna be tends to wear em down :p

it may sound like everyone is better off than you but everyone has some problems, my a-levels come out tommorow - make or break time for uni applications... and both my parents are teachers.

ne-waller said:
I agree wholeheartedly with it being my hobby
thats how my 18th birthday present which was going to be a £400 word processor for uni turned into a £1000 3ghz pentium with x800pro and orange case with blue neon light :)
it may sound like everyone is better off than you but everyone has some problems, my a-levels come out tommorow - make or break time for uni applications... and both my parents are teachers.

Im in the same boat... :) Good luck tomorrow mate. Im shitting housing estates right now...

Back