ITS AUGUST 17 HERE w00t HL 2 Preload :)

hunteraz said:
Or it could be something as simple as a router being out. Who knows.

Valve HQ: Moments before CSS release...
Gabe: "Ok guys! This is so exciting.... finally, we can open the new server for the distribution of CSS!!"
Guy in background: "Cut the ribbon!"
Gabe: "OK!!" *snip* "uhh... the ribbon isn't made out of Cat5 is it??"

*Warning! Network failure! Code blue!*

Something's going on...

HL2 IS BEING UPLOADED TO STEAM!!!! W00T!!!!!!

I hope...

Sushi said:
Something's going on...

HL2 IS BEING UPLOADED TO STEAM!!!! W00T!!!!!!

I hope...

Nothing's happening on my side :|

However about CS:S, CSNation guesses it will be unlocked late in the afternoon (west coast time).

http://www.csnation.net

Hmm, I just was able to get into steam, we'll have to wait and see if anything happens soon, or if steam was just having a short case of PMS.

Has anyone even preloaded HL2? I haven't, does anyone know if they decided not because of the leak or whatever?

BigNamek...

I think everything is still going ahead, but i bet they are probably going through the GCF file for HL2 VERY CLOSELY this time.

Also they said that they weren't that worried about the story leak because its hard to make any sense of it because its so random and what not (Shmozy asked this and that was the response he got)

Oh okay, that's a relief. Hopefully, it will show up sometimes soon, though, I'm not surprised it has yet to show up. :(

BigNamek...

Hmm i did hear something about a big hurricane or something going over america? (i'm from holland myself so forgive me =), could that have anything to do with steam problems? my guess is no because they've got servers worldwide but who knows...

BTW It s kinda exciting to think that right now they're preparing content servers for the preloading of hl2 =)

It did go over part of flordia, but that was about it.

EDIT: HL2 has started preloading, you just gotta snoop through the CS:S GFC.

Daiceman9 said:
HL2 has started preloading, you just gotta snoop through the CS:S GFC.

You mean in the counter-strike source shared content.gcf? makes sense for the textures but what about the sound files?

only some ambient sound is in the gfc, though only about 70 meg has been preloaded, and yes, they patched it so the script isn't in there anymore.

I believe the hl2 folder in the shared content cache was just some required stuff for cs:s. I somehow doubt that the real hl2-preload is only 70mb =/

yes it has. see attachment:

EDIT: I never said HL2 was done preloading, i just said it has started.

No it hasnt started. The hl2 preload will most likely have its own gcf, and as I said before, the hl2 folder in the cs:s cache was just some required files needed for cs:s to run. Please stop saying that hl2 has started preloading because there are a couple hl2 files in the cs:s cache, because you sir, are wrong.

So that's it?

We've been waiting for the pre-load and that was it? I'm confused :|

Please stop saying that hl2 has started preloading because there are a couple hl2 files in the cs:s cache, because you sir, are wrong.

Why not? I mean they did say HL2 will preload on the 17th and it did.

Well if your talking about the cs:s preload, then it did preload, but on the 16th =/

Valve said that they are were going to preload hl2 complete with files which will not be changed, such as wav files and textures, etc. The hl2 folder in the cache contained barely any of these things, except for things like wood textures and gib models that are used in cs:s. I haven't heard of anyone receiving the hl2 preload yet, so no it hasnt started.

The preload has started, but it is no where near finished, the HL2 folder in the GFC was a loading of HL2 files before the release of the game, hence a Preload.

Meh, we both understand what is going on, we're just arguing about symantics now.

Ugh, clearly you havent been reading what I have been saying. Yes there were some hl2 files included in the cs:s cache, but those files were a part of the cs:s preload. I'm talking about the hl2 preload, which I presume will be quite large, and most likey encrypted if they want to keep all those sound files secret. That hl2 preload is the one im talking about, and that hasnt started yet :(

shm0zy said in his trip-to-Valve thread that they told him HL2 preloading would start 'tomorrow'; that is, Wednesday; that is, today.

So hang on, you'll have something to download while you're playing CS:S.

/oh the thought of playing CS:S while HL2 preloads, IS IT ME OR IS THIS HEAVEN?

Yeah too bad while your ingame steam stops download activity ;)

jb55 said:
Ugh, clearly you havent been reading what I have been saying. Yes there were some hl2 files included in the cs:s cache, but those files were a part of the cs:s preload.

If you'd scroll up a bit, and take a look at the 2nd posted screenshot, you'll see a headcrab wav file... why would that be necessary for cs:s?

I don't know exactly what's going on here, but that guy has a point. :p

Ok, i'm really confused here... my CS:S won't go past 76% :(

I've restarted steam so many times i've lost count... i've tried deleting the clientregistry.blob file... but nothing

When i start it, i get a little flurry of activity. Then dead.

Dead, dead, dead... any idea what's going on?

MrD said:
Ok, i'm really confused here... my CS:S won't go past 76% :(

I've restarted steam so many times i've lost count... i've tried deleting the clientregistry.blob file... but nothing

When i start it, i get a little flurry of activity. Then dead.

Dead, dead, dead... any idea what's going on?

Are you running/playing any games while u were preloding? IF so DO NOT RUN GAMES. When running games ON STEAM AND WHILE PRELODING CS:S IT WONT WORK. IT froze mine too until I quited the game :p

What's with these people going to meet Gabe Newell at Valve HQ and playtest HL2?! How are they gettign to do that?

Do you just have to go to Valve in Kirkland, pay to enter, and go on the guided tour, then get balloons and ice cream?

Or are these just personal favors, like people you know people who know Gabe and this kind of tour can be 'arranged".

Or maybe you're just covertly leaking large, untraceable funds into Valve's bank account, in return for a short playtest... hmm?

So, come on, spill the beans, what's up?!

Back