ITunes 7 to iTunes 6

Reaction score
Morning all,

I recently installed i Tunes 7 which is a pile of poo and I want to go back to I Tunes 6. If I uninstall i Tunes 7 via "add remove programs" im not going to delete my whole collection of music (in My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music) am I?

I cant just installed i tunes 6 as it tells me I have a newer version already installed. Stupid software, so annoying. It looks lovely but behind the scenes its all falling apart.

Bit like Kate Moss

Done it. Solution for those who want to know.

Originally posted by Babs_05 on
http://www.last.fm/group/Real+Journal+Entries/journal/2006/09/13/226524

Ok - I have downgraded back to iTunes 6.0.5. Here are the instructions:

-----------------------------------------------------

First, go into My Documents / My Music / iTunes and see if there is a directory called Previous iTunes Libraries. Open this and find the one with the most recent date and copy it to your desktop.

Now go ahead and uninstall iTunes. Restart if necessary.

Download iTunes 6.05 from here:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes605forwindows.html

While you wait for your download to finish, go back into your iTunes directory from above. Look for the file named "iTunes Library.itl" and copy this name. Then delete this file. The file that you copied to your desktop, rename it to "iTunes Library.itl" and move it to this iTunes directory.

Install 6.05 and your music should be exactly where you left it pre-iTunes 7.

If you get stuck (cos I did), further clarification on what file to delete and what to replace:

If you copied the .itl file from 'Previous iTunes Library' to your desktop, you simply need to copy it into your iTunes folder.
I made the mistake the first time of copying it back into the Previous iTunes Library folder, which makes no sense. If you look in your iTunes folder, usually under
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
there's a file called 'iTunes Library.itl'. THIS is the file you need to replace with the file you copied to your desktop. Rename your file, which would have a date in it, to 'iTunes Library', and replace.

If you followed the instructions in the original post, this should work.

------------------------------------------------------

You should have your old version 6.0.5 back, with the tracks where they should be. Mine all have grey exclamation marks so I will have to manually import each one, but I'm so happy to have everything back, I honestly don't care!

:D

-----

Back