Ive just seen a screenie of the lost coast :eek: :eek: :eek:

Llama

Tank
Reaction score
And guys it looks incredible. Every in game object has been bump-mapped, detaiol is up, enviroment size is up, HDR, better shadowing....

The only downside is the mimimum spec:
3.6 Gig processor
1 Gig Ram
dx 9 Graphics card (Unknown which type as of yet)

Lets play the W game.

Where?
When?
Why? (obvious)
Wachowski Brothers?

(Uk)

But yeah, 3.6 gig. It does look worth it....it showed a bump-mapped insence burner.....jezus christ

3.6 gig...!? bollocks, pardon my french, but no way can that be minimum spec. If it was the minimum... whats the point in releasing it.. hardly anyone will beable to play it.

It's 3.2GHz actually. Probably been seen in PC Gamer UK. I've just read it and I must say, very impressive.

Slightly dissapointing ETA. Apparently we shouldn't expect it until Winter 2005, but on the plus side of that, by then, we may very well all be upgrading our computers again. If not for HL2 this year then maybe the latest Unreal Engine game that's probably due in 2006 or maybe even STALKER.

Well they did say "only top-spec PCs with the latest hardware". I'd say 3.6Ghz is pretty much the latest!

Can't wait 'til E3 this year. All the next Gen consoles are on show! You think Source is good, I have a feeling you'll be saying "No Way!!!" an awful lot in May.

Bullshit, I'm gonna be running with my Athlon 2500+ and no one is saying otherwise. 3.6 Ghz my ******* ass. To the dude, yes your 2.8 CPU will run it.

Yeah, there's no way it'll be 3.6Ghz! I don't think I've ever seen a 3.6Ghz processor for sale (I'm sure there are some but still..) let alone Valve claiming this is for 'the high-end users'...all 3 of em if that's the case!

3.2 Ghz is a lot dif than 3.6...T.A.L. don't scare us like that.

if you have an AMD CPU,then yes..you could have a 2.21GHz AMD and still be able to play it..remember,AMD is as good as a 1GHz higher Intel performance-wise

No way...If they're sayin minimum 3.2Ghz a 2.21Ghz AMD isn't gonna cut it. an AMD 3200 will.

which is exactly what a 3200+ is....AMD A64 3200+ = 2.21GHz stock speed..I have the CPU so I know that for a fact...

and I also know that the A64 3200+ is the equivalent of a 1 GHz higher speed intel CPU...therefore 2.88 will play it no problem...as long as its AMD

ok... i'll try to run it with my 2.2Ghz Athlon... i'll let you guys know when my computer starts smoking ;)

I do wonder where that CPU power is going? A more powerfull GPU I can understand, for HDR and more normal mapping, but are physics and AI also getting an overhaul?

Alright, that's one thing I can look forward to the next time I upgrade. I tend to upgrade rarely & strongly, and so this can be the next one...

SHOW ME THE SCREENSHOT OR FACE MY WRATH
*teta_bonita smacks tight-ass lamma with his long-shlong*
:D

Your guys talking about the US pc gamer?

T.H.C.138 said:
which is exactly what a 3200+ is....AMD A64 3200+ = 2.21GHz stock speed..I have the CPU so I know that for a fact...

and I also know that the A64 3200+ is the equivalent of a 1 GHz higher speed intel CPU...therefore 2.88 will play it no problem...as long as its AMD

Yeah, that was my point...most people reading that would think they'll be ok running a 2.2Ghz processor for it, and they won't!

Not sure what you meant by the last bit but...

Tight-ass Llama said:
The only downside is the mimimum spec:
3.6 Gig processor
1 Gig Ram
dx 9 Graphics card (Unknown which type as of yet)
Forgive me if I'm sounding blindly ignorant, but I fail to believe that's the absolute minimum. That's pretty much a top-end PC at the moment, so that limits The Lost Coat's distribution to about 26 people.
I'm cautiosuly hoping that that's the "recommended" specs...

i dunno, its what they said. Trust me it looks like itll need the machine

*snip*

Talk about bs, dont take the article literally, its dripping descriptive leniance.

The PC Gamer article said that all the textures will be bump mapped. Is that really necessary?

MetalliMyers said:
The PC Gamer article said that all the textures will be bump mapped. Is that really necessary?

The PC Gamer article also says that this level will be no-holds-barred eye-candy with little or no regards to system specifications. None of it's necessary, they're just trying to push the envelope.

As for people worrying about system specs, they said it would be for high end machines.....

Oye! Guy who read the article! Do you have a scanner!

Keep in mind that this is meant to be something that only high-end machines can do, not like they're releasing a brand new game that can't be run by anyone. I totally expect this minimum spec to be real. And winter 2005 is a long way off.

Yea, valve said that these levels will be for the guys who are on the bleeding edge of technology, those who actually update their video card every 6 months to the best that money can buy :D

basically, valve told its level designers and artists "go nuts" and they are simply making everything absolutley insane with all the detail... Maybe this could become another sort of 3D Mark type test, but actual gameplay and in an actual game engine that is currently being used?

3.2GHZ sounds perfectly reasonable to me, I bet they are doing lighting calculations CPU-side so that they can save all the bumpmapping, and all that detail for the GPU.

I know people hate to hear it (I read a few responses in this thread saying like 'bs you can play it on XX GHZ", and you don't have any proof besides your depressed soul :)

I have the magazine, it looks beautiful :D

el Chi said:
Forgive me if I'm sounding blindly ignorant, but I fail to believe that's the absolute minimum. That's pretty much a top-end PC at the moment, so that limits The Lost Coat's distribution to about 26 people.
I'm cautiosuly hoping that that's the "recommended" specs...
Yes, it is a top end PC at the moment.

However, the ETA for The Lost Coast is in the Winter of this year which means by this point it will be more of a mid-range PC or most people will be upgrading for other games as they didn't upgrade for HL2.

I'll most likely have a much better spec on my computer before it comes out.

That's just stupid business sense. i WILL be able to run it on a amd 64 3200+ with a gig of ram and a 6800gt. If i can't, i will run naked down a ski slope

my PC I'm building will be able to do it:). I have the mobo and I just ordered the CPU and ASUS case today. Next couple checks I'll get the 6800 Ultra PCIx 16 card :) and then...eventually get another and SLI em.

Back