Jittering performance even though FPS is 100+

D

dlittley

I know there was talk of this in the beta and I am still seeing the same thing in the full release of CS: Source.

I experience a kind of 'jittering' in gameplay, mostly noticable when panning left and right. Now the FPS isn't dropping at all, mostly its above 100. This is with everything on 'recommended' (which is all high and dxlevel 9) using an Athlon XP 2500 @ 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Corsair Pro ram, Radeon 9800Pro, 1024x768, 2aa / 2af. Doesn't make a difference whether I use vsync or not, or what I set the refresh rate too nor what I set the various cl_rates to.

Now heres the weird thing. When spectating in 1st person view, this disapears completely and it is perfectly smooth. I mean 'Quake 2' smooth ;) Its only when actually playing. So this tells me my system is capable of handling the source engine.

Very annoying. Anyone had this and managed to fix it?

is there a complete list of cmds and what they do anywhere anyhow?

I got little problem to, i think its just how source engine was made..

I got bigger problems all together i got video of my problem but no host :p

I've got cl_cmdrate "30" and cl_updaterate "30". I've tried all sorts of suggested variations and it seems to make very little (if any) difference.

Detail settings don't appear to affect it either, i've tried various tweak guides (turning off 3d sky amongst other things) and this makes no difference.

I think i know what you are referring to.

Is it when you run sudeways and the wall has like random lines in it out of NO WHERE?

Looks all distorted and weird??

I think it source problem everyone has it, but they dont notice it :p

I have a problem where my game plays fine at 70 fps then every 2 seconds it stops for like .3 seconds and fuks up gameplay.

After about 10 minutes my FPS is stabble enough to play. AND then THE MAP CHANGE comes along......another ten minutes of waiting.

VERY HARD to explain...someone said it was the crap RAM i bought for 50 bucks....and they said to add more...im so confussed

Ok I think I may have just sorted it myself!

Set my refresh rate down to 85hz (was 100), set fps_max to 85 (was default 300) and then put vsync on. Seems a whooole lot smoother. :)

Just not sure what will happen during intense firefights if my fps drops to 40/50 :|

Back