Just a thought about Valve's introduction to expression

C

Ckabusk

Well, when Valve show off with a new expression for source engine and do you know what s wrong with it? There is no friggin expression on CS S model! I think that expression feature for source should begin implemented for CS S. I would like to see an expression for furious(for while shooting), wide open mouth(for throwing a grenade), and eyes should be closed while killed in action. Also, model's eyes are wide opened all time, when they are approach the furious battle and eyes still remain awake. Come on, Valve, you gotta stop to misinformation to fans about your game.

Ckabusk said:
Well, when Valve show off with a new expression for source engine and do you know what s wrong with it? There is no friggin expression on CS S model! I think that expression feature for source should begin implemented for CS S. I would like to see an expression for furious(for while shooting), wide open mouth(for throwing a grenade), and eyes should be closed while killed in action. Also, model's eyes are wide opened all time, when they are approach the furious battle and eyes still remain awake. Come on, Valve, you gotta stop to misinformation to fans about your game.

Its not misinformation... its called lag control.. if they put facial animations, it'd be another load for the server to manage, or even if it were client side, it'd pummel the CPU.

If i rightly remember Doug Lombardi said a while ago that they were testing or thinking about putting facial animations in. Maybe thats why the planned new cs:s models where not in the last update because they weren't ready.

before they bother with the silly faces, sort the fluckering bounce 10 meters off objects or get stuck for 20 mins between objects crap.

They have an awesome physics engine (probably the most exciting thing within hl2) yet they have totally destroyed it in CSS.

Yeah it might be due to net code... But tbh i think the servers would be better off if the physics where being used how they were designed to work. Rather than having people bouncing and lagging on objects.

Ie, probably easier for a server to process someone jumping and standing ontop of a barrel than it is for the server to process somebody jumping inside the barrel, pushing them out of the barrel and then lagging them and bouncing them off the barrel.

As if it matters what the guys face looks like. Hell just put a gas mask on them and then you won't need this stupid argument.

why would it be laggy, if its implemented in such a way that the original poster said you could do all that on each persons local machine and have it as a togleable option since the facial expressions are just being changed with an action such as jump, shoot ect(that has already being sent to the comp). things like bloodstains on walls arent sent over the network i thought so just do the same thing here.

Bloodstains are sent over the network - they must be, otherwise you wouldnt run round a multiplayer game seeing bloodsplats on the walls of places you hadn't been to that round.

Mat...

TopDog said:
before they bother with the silly faces, sort the fluckering bounce 10 meters off objects or get stuck for 20 mins between objects crap.

They have an awesome physics engine (probably the most exciting thing within hl2) yet they have totally destroyed it in CSS.

Yeah it might be due to net code... But tbh i think the servers would be better off if the physics where being used how they were designed to work. Rather than having people bouncing and lagging on objects.

I don't know if that was the reason we were given (I seem to remember the CS guys saying they just basically didn't want the physics to be like how they are in HL2, but that's probably wrong), but it most likely wouldn't lag the server to have those physics going. After all, look at HL2 DM. Full-fledged physics yet it runs fine.

That's definately a change I'd like to see, especially since we saw them doing stuff like blocking the doorway in Italy with a table, etc. in early vids.

Back